Need some BG Merc Advice

mieu

I'm leveling almost full Bodygaurd spec, but fights are extremely long and slow. I am level 32, and I've tried using Gault, but I just find that he can't tank, and if I end up tanking and have to heal myself, it's pretty much a 'wipe' for the two of us. So I've gone back to Mako, just to make sure I can actually get through fights. Either way, I have downtime--downtime for heat between fights with Mako, and downtime to heal between fights with Gault.

Are there any good leveling guides for BG mercs? Should I just dump the rest of my points into arsenal and respec at 50?

I have leveled as full arsenal spec, and never had a problem with downtime. Arsenal has AoE, and even better single target damage. I use Torian as my main fighting companion, gear him up and he does a lot of dps which usually mitigates the need to heal as the enemy dies quite fast.

Once you have tracer missle, that is your main attack and you work in unloads and rail shots. If it is a group of 3 or 4 regular MOBs, then i open with a fusion missile, and then a quick death from above before the melee type mobs get out of the range of it. Send in torian while channeling the missile and have him do an AOE ability as well, they all die before i get below 80% health.

I am level 42 and have been leveling fast, and have no problem with groups of 2 strong plus normal mobs, any elites, or anything else I have run into.