Shield vs Defense (PVE)

Durcbjorn

Currently my powertech is level 40, and shield spec tank. I go for tanky stats when I can (endurance/shield/absorb/defense).

I'm at work, but I think my...

mitigation is around 50%

shield chance around 32%

absorb rate on shield around 35%

Defense chance around 11%

A lot of times on mods, I have to choose between shield/absorb or defense, and I'm kind of curious which is better. 32% of the time absorbing 35%, or 11% of the time avoiding 100%.

32% x 35% = 12% effective

11% x 100% = 11% effective

WIth shield spec powertech, you get heat venting from shielding, but I think only once every 6 seconds. I guess the more often you shield, the sooner after that ability comes off CD will you shield again to proc it.

Also shielding has a chance to refresh rocket punch CD, so more threat generation.

Saying all that, I think another factor may be ease of healing. To me a 11% chance of avoiding 100% damage means the other 89% the time you take full damage.

With 32% chance of 35% reduction, while effectively over time its 12%, its more spread out damage. I think you'll get more spikey damage on defense, which is harder to predict for a healer.

All told a balance of the two is probably best, but I think when I have small choices to make, it seems at least for powertech, shield/absorb is the way to go.

Any other thoughts?

A lot of times on mods, I have to choose between shield/absorb or defense, and I'm kind of curious which is better. 32% of the time absorbing 35%, or 11% of the time avoiding 100%.

32% x 35% = 12% effective

11% x 100% = 11% effective

Any other thoughts?

Keep in mind the 2-roll system and Shield mechanics:

1. "Hit" roll is calculated before "Shield vs Crit" - so the check for Defense comes before Shield

2. You can't Shield a Crit

So you have to factor out the # of attacks that were Defended to determine what % effective your Shield is.

Read this for more info on how Defense and Shield works:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/understanding-swtors-avoidance-and-mitigation-mechanics-for-tanks-in-pvp/

I look at the implications from a PVP perspective but you can sort out the PVE implications from the article.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Plug your stats into morningmusume's spreadsheet (link should be somewhere on these first couple pages) - 99% of the time, shield>absorb>=defense iirc.

Columni/rakata gear is itemized well enough that you dont need to worrt about it most of the time.