Server switching option

SlipreeGypsy

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I'm just wondering if we'll ever be given the option to switch servers at all (I'm not a networking guru so I'm not sure if this is possible but It's possible in other games like Runescape).

I say this because I'm an Australian player and given the Oceania release in a couple months I'm reluctant to start a new character given how far I could progress my current one.

I'm not hating on the US servers either, but the latency would enchance my experience in a more local server (currently >300ms pings... which is difficult to manage in pvp combat).

Yes, it is possible for them to transfer your character. It's just a Database entry, and copy/pasteing it from your current server to a new server would not be that difficult if they built or are using a robust database engine. The question is, will they let you? Noone knows but a few people at Bioware.

Now, know that you can level in this game pretty quickly. And every new character you make will level faster than the previous one. The playing experience you gain from your first character makes leveling any new characters exponentially easier. You know where quest objectives are, how to get there, which ones to avoid, how many Warzones and Space missions you can do a day, how to level Crew Skills efficiently, etc.. etc..

Do not be worried about leveling a new character. A lot of the best players in this game do not play the first character they ever made. It takes time to find the Class/Race that fits a person best, and it's those people that take the time to find their best fit that end up being the best at the game. That, and if you do have to start over you will be starting over with all the other Australians, and will get opportunities to be a leader in the community because of your previous experience.

Go play and don't worry about it! If they let you transfer, cool. If not, no big deal!