Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

My biggest beef with pvp: Speed Hacking

Chiricahua

WoW has it too. I copied this, because I'm seeing the exact same thing in warzones.

"I'm not sure if this is speed hacking but I see the occasional rogues and warriors dancing around at melee range and simply cant be targeted let alone hit. They seem to just dance around you in a circle faster then you can target them for several seconds and "lag" from point to point in almost a triangle shape."

Can Bioware get the tools to police this stuff? I'm seeing it a lot in warzones.

This is usually the same in all MMOs and it's usually lag not necessarily hacking. Any client server relationship is going to have this type of occurance since you client is guessing where they will be and being told by the server differently due to latency.

There is a bit difference between speed hacking and what you seem to be describing.

Edited by Ayestes

This is usually the same in all MMOs and it's usually lag not necessarily hacking. Any client server relationship is going to have this type of occurance since you client is guessing where they will be and being told by the server differently due to latency.

Yeah, but I consistently get 85 ms latency in warzones. Same with WoW. I've tried like crazy to duplicate this sustained fast speed dancing around a stationary player in circles. I just can't do it with sprint on a jedi. Something is definetly fishy here. The circles are perfect. If I try it I get off kilter. Basically, if I'm wrong someone has extremely good hand dexterity, but that still doesn't explained the sustained speed burst.

Edited by Chiricahua

It is not your network latency that is the issue, it's a confluence of various game bugs. It's the same kind of thing where you hit your instant ability button and it goes off 4 seconds later.

"Speed hacking" is using hacks to completely remove the global cooldown, letting you unload everything as fast as your fingers can push buttons. It used to be particularly popular with warlocks and shadow priests, since they could dump every dot on you in 1s and run away.

Edited by chungkuo

Speed hacks have been around for a long. Eq2 people could go clean across the map in 3 seconds. It is also in this game. We played hutt ball the other day. This guy picked up the ball and without passing or being pulled or leaping he scored in about 5 secs. The ball reset and he scored again within 10 secs same guy 5 scores under 2 mins. It is out there.

It is not your network latency that is the issue, it's a confluence of various game bugs. It's the same kind of thing where you hit your instant ability button and it goes off 4 seconds later.

"Speed hacking" is using hacks to completely remove the global cooldown, letting you unload everything as fast as your fingers can push buttons. It used to be particularly popular with warlocks and shadow priests, since they could dump every dot on you in 1s and run away.

there were no "globals" in early wow.. everything that was instant u could just unload.

i think they were added fairly quickly however.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.