The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How is this DPS PVP build?

Galaa_SG

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMbZMsZfhrbdhhMc.1

only 28 points in pyro as I intended to skip TD. Reason being that TD is kinetic and in most times it will deal lesser than RS, not to mention RS crits more and is used much more often than TD due to the procs, therefore I spent the 3 points saved from getting TD into other ways to maximise RS damage.

Im considering taking out one point from burnout and put it into steely resolve, but am not sure whether the 3% increase in aim is better than the 1% crit. Anyone knows which is better?

Serious, if you think this is a troll you know very little about the class.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMcZfhrbdhhMc.1

better spec, 3% aim > 3% crit

the only difference between this build and the PVE build is rapid venting and inferred sensors

taking 1 point from burnout seems to be a better deal than taking away prototype cylinders. 1 point in burnout gives 1% crit, but 1 point in proto cylinders gives 3% crit.

2/3 burnout, 1/1 prototype cylinders, 3/3 steely resolve.

Edited by Galaa_SG

cant take any points off rain of fire, needed 25 points to go up the tree to burnout.

oh yeah :p I meant take it away from Burnout.

the addition of 10% periodic damage in the last parts of their life and 1% crit is nice, but you have to get them DOWN to 30% first, and even then the DOT's aren't what will kill them.

for example, Incin Missile is our highest DOT, lets round it up and say we are doing 100 dps in DOT... the increase from Burnout will do an extra 10 dps per second... for a total damage increase of 180 over 18 second, but only if they are below 30%. If we fully dump 3 points into this we will see a 30% increase, or approx 130 / tick / 18 seconds, an increase of 540 damage

once again, I rounded up to 100 dps as a base because I'm lazy.

These points could be otherwise allocated to improve ALL attacks which will see use 70% of the time.

I think you'll see more of a bonus to backing burnout down by 1 and dumping it in Aim :)

Just my opinion though. I don't think you'll see much of a difference either way

So I'm not a great at theory but here's a question we have two dots CGI and IM, which would be impacted by Burnout.

Would grabbing Hot Iron (and Prototype Cylinders) for an extra 6% damage on Flame burst, which, lets face it, is probably our most used ability over come the difference of not having Burnout?

My initial guess would be no, but just curious what others think.

Edited by Dharagada

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsMZfhMrzGhrs.1

I would prefer this spec for a few reasons.

Thermal Detonator is too good to pass up. The delayed time on it allows you to line up ridiculous burst in PvP. It is especially good at startling / killing /bursting healers and keeping them on their toes. With enough gear, lining up a Thermal Det explosion with Rail Shot can deal damage upwards to 9-10k. The burst can keep healers on their toes, giving them "oh ****" moment to make or break a fight, especially if you run against premades with pocket healers.

Burnout. This is actually surprisingly effective due to the Bursting Flame talent (applies Combustible Gas Cylinder when you use Flame Burst), and the Firebug talent.

I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but Combustible Gas Cylinder does damage on it's application, as well as it's damage over time. So when you Flame Burst, you should see two damage numbers appear. One for the Flame Burst portion, and the other for Combustible Gas Cylinder portion. When your enemy is below 30%, you can get spammable 3k (2k from the Flame Burst, 1k from the dot on application) crits from Flame Burst, giving us an excellent way to hopefully execute low HP enemies before they get healed when Rail Shot is on cooldown.

Automated Defenses. This talent is a bit of a toss up. I've noticed that Pyrotech has a bit of random heat issues, not to mention the 25 heat cost on Incendiary Missile doesn't exactly help the issue. The spec does not have effective ways of venting heat aside from the 1:30 cooldown on Vent Heat. Assuming you have enough crit chance, Automated Defenses would give you a free spell roughly every 24 seconds and this should help you manage the heat a little better. The reduced cooldown on Kolto Overload isn't too bad either.

Puncture. Rail Shot is one of our strongest spells, and is mandatory in our rotation not to mention our burst combo. 60% armor penetration sounds amazing for Rail Shot. I haven't done enough testing to see if it stacks with Superheated Rail, but I'm assuming it does otherwise it won't make much sense as a tier 1 talent.

Prototype Burn Enhancers. Increasing crit chance makes the Firebug talent more effective. Not to mention, crit also makes Automated Defenses more affective, which in turn makes you more heat efficient (to a point). 6% crit chance for only two talent points seems worth it. However, it only applies to your fire effects, which are Incendiary Missile, Flame Burst, and Combustible Gas Cylinder (and Flame Sweep and Flamethrower too, but who uses those in pvp).

Prototype Cylinders. 3% crit for 1 talent point? Yes please. See Prototype Burn Enhancers for reasoning. This is 3% crit for all spells too not just fire effects. This talent in combination with Burnout totals up to 6% crit for all spells, and 12% crit for all fire spells. Not too shabby.

The remaining 4 talents I wasn't entirely sure where to place them. And it would really depend on your situation. Hot Iron for 6% increase in your spam spell and Rail Loaders for 6% increase damage for Rail Shot were what I went with. But these 4 talent points can really depend. When I pvp, I usually run with a tank that can Guard me, so I don't really have a desire to get Energy Rebounder. If I were to carry the Huttball more often I'd probably think about picking up Energy Rebounder. I could also drop two points and pick up Advanced Tools so I can have more utility with Grapple. But I don't deem this to be necessary for me.

Please keep in mind that any numbers I stated was me in a mix of Columi and Rakata gear. I don't use any PvP gear in this spec currently. Most of the pvp gear I own is for Shieldtech when I do some ball carrying. hehe.

I hope this helps.

Edited by InfiniteShift