Gathering only???

McAbeast

I was thinking of only gathering while leveling to 50. I could stockpile mats and sell at the GTN for credits. I could use this to buy what I need.

Then when I hit 50 I could drop slicing and pick up a crafting skill which I will already have plenty of mats for.

Anyone else thinking of doing this and will I lose any major leveling items by doing this?

Well you get 24 item slots to start with, but with 3 gathering skills its going to fill up really quickly with the different lvls of materials you could get. and your companion isn't going to help considering they could only sell junk items.

but on the bright side if you have scavenging, slicing, and archaeology you could take quite a few shortcuts in flashpoints and not to mention level gathering skills will be fairly easy unlike craft or mission skills

I'm doing slicing/treasure hunting/diplomacy.

The first two for a nice chunk of credit flow, so I can focus on my specific crafting needs end-game and be well funded all the way there.

Diplomacy simply to max out on dark side points more quickly, then I'm going to untrain and replace it.

I think it'll work out quite nicely considering the results I've seen thus far. Slicing is already bringing in some nice money at 120.

I've been doing Slicing, Scavenging, and Bioanalysis. You will need to visit the imperial fleet ever few levels to sell, but besides that it's fine.

So many people are experimenting with crafting right now, you can sell stacks of resources for 3-5x the default price, and they'll still sell that night.

Between that, and being conservative about upgrading equipment, my 24 BH has 52k credits to buy his mount next level.

I should also note that I've been playing a lot in the early morning, if you only play in prime time, it can be difficult to find enough nodes.

Also, I did eventually spend the 5k on an extra row of bag space, just last level. It really hasn't been bad though, just stop everytime you see a medical droid and sell off your greys and bounds.