The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cell usage - where, when?

Azkadellia

I've just started Nar Shaddaa on my Vanguard, and seeing the number of Heroic missions have respecced to a more tanky role.

But, I'm unsure of which Cell to use for normal questing. Up to now, I'm in Ion Cell with Aric for DPS (less damage + more dps). I don't know the best places to use the others though, should I be using Armour-piercing, or Plasma Cell when questing for a dps boost?

If they aren't for questing, what roles/ situations are they for?

Thanks.

Edited by Azkadellia

As a vanguard, you will pretty much always use Ion Cell in my experience. Ion is the bread, butter, and jam of the Shield/Tanking tree, and offers a fair dps bonus. That is unless you are acting as the DPS, in which case, AP cell for droids, flame cell for biologics seems logical, but I will be honest, I have not crunched the numbers to be certain.

Cell choice is based on tree choice. If you're specced shield, you definitely want Ion. If you're specced high in Assault, you probably want plasma. If you're specced Tactics and want the abilities in that tree that require High Energy, well....

Now, there are some hybrid builds that use the Ion cell with a large investment into Tactics or Assault, and other variations, but in general if you just match your cell to your tree you're fine.

With that said, if you're grouped with a higher level tank and you don't want to pull aggro, switch to Plasma for less threat and better dps.