The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Talent Trees and Cell Requirements

Hucklebery

Why is it that you can spec all the way into Shield/Tactics without taking a single talent that requires either Ion Cell or High Energy Cell, yet when you get into the Assault Tree there is absolutely no way to get above the second tier without throwing away 3 points in talents that require Plasma Cell?

Ionized Ignition

Superheated Plasma - Leads to High Friction Bolt at least.

Sweltering Heat

3 Points in one or a combination of these in order to get into the 3rd Tier. All requiring Plasma Cell.

I am not fully PvP geared so perhaps that is why anything other than Ion Cell seems squishy.

Ran into this in my build running around in Ion Cell with Incendiary Round. (PvP) I prefer over Gut. PvP Build

Maybe im wrong and this build makes no sense but I have had success with it, I just dont like having to waist 3 points for it.

Edited by Hucklebery

I tried going all 3 trees for PvP and at the end of the day the damage bonus you get from going assault/tactics(basically 50-70K more dmg over a warzone) seems to not outweigh the 7% dmg reduction you get from going deeper into shield spec(really you need 23 points to capitalize as anything past tier 2 sets you into ion cell) So i overall recommend a 23/13/2 with 1 point wherever if you want to use ion cell, else I would use high energy(deep tactics) or plasma(assault), though I wish i could get incendiary without having to waste points like you said.

I wouldn't complain too much if I were you.

I have both a Van and a Juggernaut. The tanking 'stance' of a Juggernaut gives you more armor at the expense of less rage generation, and hence less damage. Whereas the Jugg tanking stance gives you extra armor AND extra damage (on top of talents that boost Ion Cell's damage even further, which Juggs have very little of).

I teamed up with a Powertech (emp side Van) the other day with my Jugg. His AOE tanking was generating more threat than my single target tanking ... on my target!

In other words, be careful mentioning Ion Cell on the forums lest the devs pay attention and realize just how insanely powerful it is. ;)