The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

STORM ability slows down at min range?

Taunque

I'm surprised more people aren't annoyed how Storm behaves at different ranges. If you Storm from minimum distance, your speed to the target slows down dramatically because the game is forcing the animation to complete before you reach the target. It actually begins to look like you're leaping in slow motion. Basically, the problem is that the Trooper Storm has a long animation (run & leap). In contrast, your speed is fine when Storming from longer distances because the animation will complete in time.

Does the Bounty Hunter's Jet Charge suffer the same delay at minimum range? Their animation is much simpler and I haven't seen the same slowdown in speed when they charge from minimum range. It's very clean and quick.

Can anyone with both Trooper and BH toons test or confirm this?

Edited by Taunque

I'm not sure about the BH, but my Jedi Sentinel's force leap is way snappier than Storm. Like so many other Trooper abilities, it seems to have a bit of a delay before it gets going.

Guardian can leap from sitting down and still make it look good. Trooper just looks like special Olympics champ in everything they do.

• 2 weeks later...

Storm is a horrible ability. Especially compared to the Powertechs Jet Charge.

Storm is slow and it feels all wrong, while Jet Charge feels like a real charge, it is instant and it work alot better than Storm.

I have been comparing the two abilities today as I just got to try out Storm on my republic character.

Storm should be revised to work just like its counterpart Jet Charge. It should be no problem creating an animation for Storm that is just as fast as Jet Charge and still fits the aesthetics of the Vanguard.

Copy the mechanic, redo the name and the animation. Go go Bioware :)

I can't speak for a comparison of Storm and Jet Charge, but I can say for certain that when I charge with Jet Charge, Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior leaps that the closer I am the 'slower' I move through the air. It seems that the travel time is a more or less fixed value.

I've had multiple cases where any of them (I play Powertech, Marauder, and Guardian + Vanguard that doesn't have Storm yet) take an absurdly long time to leap when 10-12 meters from the target.

Storm is a horrible ability. Especially compared to the Powertechs Jet Charge.

Storm is slow and it feels all wrong, while Jet Charge feels like a real charge, it is instant and it work alot better than Storm.

I have been comparing the two abilities today as I just got to try out Storm on my republic character.

Storm should be revised to work just like its counterpart Jet Charge. It should be no problem creating an animation for Storm that is just as fast as Jet Charge and still fits the aesthetics of the Vanguard.

Copy the mechanic, redo the name and the animation. Go go Bioware :)

While my previous post was before I had obtained Storm on my Vanguard, I now have it and must disagree with some of your post.

Yes, Jet Charge is much cooler and 'seems' to be faster than Storm I can discern no difference between the two. I didn't record videos of them, but using a stopwatch the results of each charge (tried the 4, Vanguard Powertech Sith War and Jedi Knight) and all 4 charges had the same timings (allowing for my own reaction time, charged from each range 3x) at 30, ~20, 10 meters from target.

If there is a timing difference between them it is so negligible as to not matter. Functionality-wise they are identical.

Edited by Kinvalar