The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Stupid Trooper Trick: Plasma Cell Love

va_wanderer

Yes, I know. Plasma Cell isn't the be-all-end-all of Vanguard optimization. We're the "smack them in the face with a rifle butt while Ion Celling to victory" Vanguards, with the occasional love pointed at High Energy Cell hybrids builds.

If you wanted to run around and douse things in superheated plasma procs while zapping them with lightning bolts and HIB's instead, though...well, what would you do?

For example: http://www.ign.com/builds/star-wars-the-old-republic?class=vanguard&d=000000000000003003200000000000001200203000032230212320302

Talk about it. Inspire me a little. (And yes, once again I -know- clubbing people with Stockstrike is the de facto best- but I want to see what a shooty Vanguard could aspire to.)

I'd hardly call me 'experienced' at PvP, having never really engaged in it in any of the other MMOs I have played; never enjyed it. Now, however, I am hooked. At least as far as TOR goes.

I run plasma cell and, in fact, haven't bothered to pick the other two cells up. I've read the stats on them, considered what they can and cannot do, looked at the skill trees and read the guides by people far smarter and more experienced than I am. I still decided that, whatever the math says, plasma suits me better. I don't care about pure burst or DPS, or kill-counts, etc. I care about victory. PvP is a team sport and every one of the 8 men should be contributing to that victory.

Obviously with PUGs that doesn't always happen, but that is life. What I try to do with my Van is keep the other side on their toes. Plasma allows me to DOT players, preventing caps and disarms. Harpoon lets me annoy the hell outta people by dropping them into acid, fire, or empty space. With the right choices, stats, and a bit of luck, I can melt peeps with the plasma cell. And if I don't? Chances are, I weaken them enough that a team mate can finish them off. As I usually run with a group of guildees, I have reliable cover.

Plasma works for me because of my playstyle. Is it the best option? Who knows for sure. But I am happy with it, I am effective with it, and my stats at the end of the game put me in the upper tiers for damage and kills. I feel I must be doing something right when I find myself being hunted down by 3 or more people mid-way through the game. Why else would the higher-level enemy players waste their time hunting down one lowly vanguard?