Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

chose the wrong advance class

yutterh

No game that I've yet encountered allows a "trial run" of a class.

Sorry if this has been mentioned.

Champion's Online. When you buy a skill, it's free to respec as long as you don't leave the Power House (training area). The PH has facilities with training dummies, obstacle courses to test travel powers, and the ability to spawn a room full of mobs, and to tailor those mobs, level and spawn size wise, to your needs. Since a character doesn't have a class, but just a large collection of skills (passive and otherwise), one could do a full respec of all skills in the PH, train up completely, and test the new build out in the facilities there. You can effectively change a character from a tank, to a healer, to a DPS, or anything in between (usually between) by doing this, on the fly (though it may take time to select everything). If you don't like the build after testing it, you can change it however you want. As long as you don't leave PH, doing so (after any initial untraining costs) is free.

Edited by Eleonora

Just remake - doesnt exactly take long to hit lvl 10 and finish off your starter zone.

This. Screenshot your character and then adjust everything until it all looks right. Be patient, and you'll manage. I know, big concept there.

Next time you're choosing an AC, pay more attention and take your time. Additionally, write down the number combination for your character features.

thanks for the tip didnt think of screen shotting my character thanks you for that :) but i didnt realize it was permanent and chose the one i disliked more because i wanted to test it. thought i could respect it. well obviously that didnt work lol I did write down the numbers but that was in another state at the time and left them their when i left. thanks for the support and ill get right back into it. i jsut do irrational things when i get frustrated lol

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry if this has been mentioned.

Champion's Online. When you buy a skill, it's free to respec as long as you don't leave the Power House (training area). The PH has facilities with training dummies, obstacle courses to test travel powers, and the ability to spawn a room full of mobs, and to tailor those mobs, level and spawn size wise, to your needs. Since a character doesn't have a class, but just a large collection of skills (passive and otherwise), one could do a full respec of all skills in the PH, train up completely, and test the new build out in the facilities there. You can effectively change a character from a tank, to a healer, to a DPS, or anything in between (usually between) by doing this, on the fly (though it may take time to select everything). If you don't like the build after testing it, you can change it however you want. As long as you don't leave PH, doing so (after any initial untraining costs) is free.

In spite of being a Fan of the current form of AC choice, I would support this option. the fleet stations have plent of space to add in a few training guys (like that class specialization guy who's sole purpose is to give you the choice...he's a papaerweight beyond that). get him and a fwe others to hang out, make them level 10. you can try fighting with the skills of class one, and see if you like the flow. then try the other. Or whatever combo they decide to make it. Being able to try them out before making the choice. many of the differences to me were visible right off the bat.

As an example, on my Bounty Hunters, the second I chose PT over Merc, the difference was noticeable. My main attacks on the merc were cast based, while my PT got mostly instants (but none of them really ranged).

I wonder if it would benefit us to have a 'mockup' room, like a holosuite where we could plug in stats for a lvl 30 and throw up the traits as wel like them (20 pts of talents pretty much). you could play with the various specs in that AC using this advanced "video game" and see how the class feels around 30. usually you have at least one if not 2 very signature moves for the class/spec by then, and the trait trees are really rounding out with many of the specific tree specialties shining.

then when you were done, you could go back to the spec trainer and tell him what you wanted. It may stretch the line for the hardcore Immersion folks, but im game with something like that. Just don't change the AC class choice itself.

the only problem I see is that far too often class "playability" revolves very heavily around knowing how to play a class. Being forced to pick up skills as you level, using them over extended periods of time, alow you to adapt to a class in ways you couldn't do in a 5m "holo-game', and there would still be people who would make choices they do not like. I've read a few threads were people were asking when a class gets "More fun", because they weren't enjoying it at 20 or 30. If someone can suffer through 30 levels of playing a class before deciding they dont like it, then no amount of testing will convince them at level 10.

that being said, it's still a great idea.

Edited by Elyx

Make sure you keep your character. Your original gut feelings may be right. Hate for you to find out you don't like the OTHER advance class and for you to rage quit again over having to start that character again.

--

Just a note though. This isn't my first MMO still I haven't played many. Previous experience has shown this really is a concern though so my tip is to never pick your favorite character type first. Go with what you think might be a second character, create him/her, then get into the game. He's always throwawayable.

After you know most of the game, put your first character on the shelf if you want to. And then roll your fav whether it be warrior, elf, priest, or Jedi Knight.

That's my MMO play tip of the day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.