The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

AP vs PT PVE

Bludro

I currently have a lvl 50 BH PT and have done all the hard mode FPs and completed all of the ops up to this point on normal (killed a few HM bosses as well). My entire time playing I have been AP spec. After reading a number of threads on PT vs AP I was extremely curious to see if AP was as inferior as most people were been saying. After completing a number of HM FPs and a few world bosses, I have to say I do not really see what all of the fuss is about.

I agree that if you manage to consistently proc RS and have both IM and CGS dots up it pulls noticeably more dps (this is based off the damage I "felt" I was doing and the speed at which things expired). However, if RS doesn't refresh every 1st or second RP/FB, then not only is the dmg difference between the two specs not noticable, but heat maintainability drops extremely low. Because of this, you absolutely have to weave rapid shots into your rotation.

When playing AP heat management under any circumstances relies on you hitting RP when its free, which it is every time its up with the immolate/FB procs. On top of this you passively drop 8 heat every 6 seconds, so staying below 40 heat at all times is stupid easy. This allows you to essentially NEVER have to use rapid shots unless you are moving and outside of a 10m range (assuming insta-crit RS isnt up or you dont have missile blast on your bar). Because of this, I cannot help but assume that AP dmg in a PVE setting is not only more consistant, but potentially higher than PT.

Until there is some form of combat log, there is absolutely no definitive way to say one way or the other, but I really would like to hear the opinions of other lvl 50 Power techs that have completed HM FPs and ops to chime in with their personal opinions. I must stress that this a discussion about lvl 50 PVE content, and in no way is a discussion about PVP superiority or lvling.