The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT PVE DPS build discussion

Havro

Hello PT community,

I just wanted to start a dicussion hopefully with some input from experienced PT's in regard to PVE DPS specs, as in HM and Operation scenarios, partically EV 8/16.

I have done the whole 21/2/18 ST/Pyro build and enjoyed that as a hybrid tank / pvp utility but with the abundance of PT tanks in my guild, there is alot more opportunity available as PT DPS for PVE. The guild is currently cleared in 8 man EV / Karagga's Palace and doing attempts on SOA EV 16 man.

I spent alot of time during beta as AP and have now focused on Pyrotech for PVP grinding with a 4/6/31 build that can also double up with some decent PVE dps.

I am now tossing up the possiblity of dropping out TD (purely for PVE) and going something like the following 5/8/28 build :

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMZMsMZfhMrzGhMc.1

(please note there are are some interchangeable utility points in pyro such as degaus / Gyroscopic alignment etc that could be debated either way)

My concerns all boil down to heat management in PVE , particually in end game operations and would welcome feedback from anyone that has managed to make AP work (or not) with good gear vs pyro in these scenarios.

I think TD is worth it. You're not going to be on the target 100% of the time in all fights so TD's range matters in those cases. Additionally TD makes Pyro much more viable for PvP if you get the itch.

The original reason to drop TD was to pick up Steely Resolve, but 9% Aim isn't really much of a difference (I can't find it now but somewhere on these boards someone did a comparison between having Steely Resolve and not having it, I think it might have been Taugrim's thread). Is it a difference? Yes, but if it is the difference between your group getting a target down before an Enrage timer then someone else is already slacking more than you. If you are going to go without TD, I would probably still pick up Steely Resolve over the 6% Flame Burst damage.

You can also pick up Automated Defenses that way. Doesn't look like a lot but it takes a bit of stress off of your healers and lets you use Thermal Sensor Override more than once in longer fights which can help heat management if you care about keeping Incin up (Camp seems split on this one, I think it is efficient DPS if it runs the whole course but it's expensive and doesn't proc Rail Shots. Without DPS meters we're not going to be 100% sure).

As far as Heat management goes, the best DPS I've done involves not caring about Heat so long as Vent Heat is ready to go. Just keep blowing through Rocket Punches, Flame Bursts, and your Rail Shots until you're red lining and then blow Vent Heat. Depending on your luck this could take quite a bit of time to actually occur.

Sometimes you luck out and it doesn't occur, you're just spamming abilities all fight while telling your group mates that Rapid Shots is for jerks. This will lead to you having threat problems if your Tank hasn't put Guard on you, more so if it is Jugg Tank in my experience. You should be ready with your Energy Shield/Kolto Overload and your Tank should be ready with his Taunt.

After you blow your Vent Heat you have to start managing your resources more closely, but I've found I can be a bit more aggressive with it than with Adv Proto due to the fact that a free, heat refunding, Rail Shot is always just around the corner. If you want to keep Incin Missile up and TSO is on cooldown then give yourself leeway for a few seconds before the debuff falls off.

Really, Pyro DPS is borderline too good with all but the worst luck, and I can't help but feel this is some sort of development oversight which could lead to some "AWESOME CHANGES" in the future.

Edited by chainsawsamurai

Good points raised already and some things I had really overlooked.

I am now looking at the 7/6/28 build with a bit more interest :

http://knotor.com/skills#AgMHBhyy09qhytszU1pqc4qRq7K6y9IA

And my question now is whether Prototype Cylinders for +3% CGC crit chance is actually more dmg long term then popping that extra point in for last 3% aim stat...