Powertech PvP questions

Topherend

Keep this short and sweet

1. Which Skill tree is best for pvp? Is there a best one or just preference?

2. Any Solid guides written by lvl 50 PvP powertechs.

3. Recommended pvp builds for pyrotechs, shield, advanced prototype.

4. Does Oil Slick have any value in pvp?

Ty

Edited by Topherend

I'll keep it short and sweet, on my end at least.

Pyrotech has the most dps viability, at present. You can move very well, great long-mid range attacks, which allow you to kite melee around... sustain and do a lot of burst damage.

The spec is virtually a no brainer here, so I'm not going to go into specifics.

If you want to run Shieldtech, you'll be useful in other ways. A monster in Huttball, being able to leap to enemies while carrying the ball, or pull enemy ballcarriers to you, and/or away from allies.

Your survivability goes a long way.

This also applies to holding captured nodes in Alderaan and defending doors in Voidstar.

Really, it's all a playstyle preference. I can't supply you with a guide, because honestly, I think that would be bad for you.

It's best to figure out how to play your class by yourself, trail and error.

Hearst

50 Powertech Pyro

Belgoth's Beacon server.

Edited by Hearst

• 2 weeks later...
i'll keep it short and sweet, on my end at least.

Pyrotech has the most dps viability, at present. You can move very well, great long-mid range attacks, which allow you to kite melee around... Sustain and do a lot of burst damage.

The spec is virtually a no brainer here, so i'm not going to go into specifics.

If you want to run shieldtech, you'll be useful in other ways. A monster in huttball, being able to leap to enemies while carrying the ball, or pull enemy ballcarriers to you, and/or away from allies.

Your survivability goes a long way.

This also applies to holding captured nodes in alderaan and defending doors in voidstar.

Really, it's all a playstyle preference. I can't supply you with a guide, because honestly, i think that would be bad for you.

It's best to figure out how to play your class by yourself, trail and error.

Hearst

50 powertech pyro

belgoth's beacon server.

then if i want a best pvp tank tree should be?

And the heavy dps pvp tree whould be?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301bMZMsZfhMrdhGMs.1

is what i plan on using when im 50, im at lvl31 right now and i've topped damage every game and won 15 warzones in a row now as pyro.

you could change out 1 point rail loaders for 1 point intimidation (in shield tech tree)

or 2 points degauss for 2 points rapid venting (pyrotech tree) depending on your preferences. this is what i'd use though

Edited by firedropx

You can move very well, great long-mid range attacks, which allow you to kite melee around... sustain and do a lot of burst damage.

This might be the wrong place to ask this, but how do you kite melee as Powertech? In my experience, once they get on top of you (and all melee have either charge or stealth), they stay there unless they're just horrible players. All melees have slows identical to ours or stronger. Mara has 12 sec no CD 50% slow. Jugg has a (talented) free no CD AoE 50% slow. Sins have 50% slow for 6 seconds every 12 seconds, but they also have sprint. Etc., etc.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel rather defenseless as Pyrotech against melee lately.

You do have to outplay them, but keep in mind you're melee as well to a degree... We have a couple stuns, just have to outdance them while attacking.

Z

Hmmm..

Thing is, Mara has a root on Deadly Throw if Carnage, second charge on 15 sec CD if Rage, or 10.5 sec CD charge that can be used point-blank AND a slow on Rupture (bleed DOT) if Annihilation. And that's just the top of the iceberg, on top of the 12 second 50% no CD slow I mentioned. We do have a stun, but say he trinkets that. That's pretty much it. Carbonize is what, 2.5 sec? You won't make it out of 10m range, and even if you do they just charge again.

Borderline impossible to shake them, unless they're asleep or lagging. And their DPS isn't exactly small potatoes. A Carnage spec one with Gore (100% armor reduction) and root on Ravage will slice you up real quick.

A Sin has way more CC - Spike knockdown (usually from stealth), stun identical to ours. Then an incapacitate or grapple-like pull or whatever, depending on spec. Sprint, ranged slow, etc.

Again, maybe it's just me. But against a half-decent opponent I can't seem to be able to kite at all. I have to hunker down with Static Barrier and hope I can take him out before he takes me out. And let's face it, most melee classes have way more/better defensive cooldowns than we do.

P.S. I'm just using Mara an an example, Jugg can do just as well if not better now that their knockdown resets charge.

Edited by Sabbathius

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.