SWTOR Arenas: How it Should be Done

Zybak

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to read it. How it should be done:

Not at all.

^ It's never hard to tell who is bad at arenas...

Asking to have arenas not implemented because YOU don't enjoy them is asinine. Bioware just needs to find a sound way to balance the entire game, that way people who like to play warzones can without being effected. If you still don't want arenas even if it is balanced because you're not good enough to get the gear/win games, then deal with it and get better.

I also think that bioware should have a rating requirement for each piece of gear and have them spread apart more than wow did. Past 2.2k in wow there was nothing to work torwards other then titles. Good players should be rewarded.

^ It's never hard to tell who is bad at arenas...

Asking to have arenas not implemented because YOU don't enjoy them is asinine. Bioware just needs to find a sound way to balance the entire game, that way people who like to play warzones can without being effected. If you still don't want arenas even if it is balanced because you're not good enough to get the gear/win games, then deal with it and get better.

I also think that bioware should have a rating requirement for each piece of gear and have them spread apart more than wow did. Past 2.2k in wow there was nothing to work torwards other then titles. Good players should be rewarded.

Really lame argument that, typical of a youngster that acually thinks these games require skill.

Its got nothing to do with being good at arena, its about the whole thing ruining mmos, the whole rankings thing belongs in an fps game as do rewards.

People that only play arena add nothing to the community of an mmo and only care about ratings.

Really lame argument that, typical of a youngster that acually thinks these games require skill.

Its got nothing to do with being good at arena, its about the whole thing ruining mmos, the whole rankings thing belongs in an fps game as do rewards.

People that only play arena add nothing to the community of an mmo and only care about ratings.

TBH maybe thats all they had fun with left in the game i know the last year i played wow thats all i did was arenas and bgs waiting for my team members to log on the rest of the game was just dirt boring to me, and no i didnt play for rating hell i never fully reached 2200 but i didnt care. pve i lost intrest very quickly if i did it at all i could hardly stand doin BH. i honestly think this is a great idea specially with the no rewards thing its just something else to do in this game, granted i do kinda disagree with zybak a little but i think instead of a bolster system to balance by buffing or debuffing whatever class is a move in the wrong direction i think it would be better if they made ablitiies have 2 different effects 1 for pvp and 1 for pve and boom problem solved no more QQ about pvers ruining pvp or vis versa.

I would love arenas since I enjoy hardcore PvP. That being said, if they don't balance the game more first the majority of teams will be something like a Sorc/Sage, BH/Trooper and Operative/Scoundrel since those are considered the "OP" classes.

Zybak, Great vid/post. Arena's should be 2v2 and 3v3 imo.. No gear or loot or rewards should b handed out for doing all this.. Mayybe like a tabard or something showing what youve accomplished but thats it. Plz do not add Resil or anyhting of that nature.. That ruins it. The arena's should use pvp warzone gear and pve gear and it still work. Great ideas to all and would love somehow if ppl saw this post.

Hi how are you? i am an avid arena player. I add nothing to the community according to you? I play on the TN, I get world pvp going on a pvp server (the point of it exsisting) and I do a great many other things that "benefit the community". Even if I solely played the game for arena, I would be promoting the game with 15 a month to develop all aspects of the game, in addition to providing competition for those that do more with the game. So either way, I am contributing just as much to the game as you are qtpie.

Also, the arguement "typical of a youngster that acually thinks these games require skill" is wrong on quite a few levels. First, the typical youngster garbage is simply an attack to provoke a response, as you have absolutely no clue how old the person is, so just knock that off right away and you carry more merit. Secondly, there is skill in everything. When you add a ranking system to something, unless everyone can achieve the highest rank, there is a measure of skill. That is what the ranking is. Case in point, only 3% got duelist in wow, therefore showing that 97% can't achieve that level of "skill". And if you think everytime you got beaten in an MMO it was because of something other than skill, you are deluding yourself and highly overestimating your personal skill.

While I am at it, arena ruins mmos? Hardly. Arena in wow increased the population immensly, fostered growth for the game, got the game recognized as an esport, which in turn brought a ton of revenue into the game (used to develop raid content and bgs etc), got community sites going that wouldn't have existed otherwise which helps people grow an attachment to the game and on and on. Adding optional content can never ruin a game, it only provides additional caveats for people to enjoy the game for even longer, promoting a healthy, long lasting game that everyone can enjoy.

Also don't assume to know the type of person arena attracts. I have RPG first and foremost in my favorites category, not FPS. To assume I should just play FPS to get the competitive level of play I desire is tantamount to telling you to "just go play Rift if you want a game without arena."

TL;DR You hyperboled all over the forum, so clean it up.

Edited by Superhusky

If they put in a competitive arena, that would require much more balance.

Once they start trying to balance a game for two entirely different ends of the spectrum, it will fail miserably.

They do that now. PvP, PvE. I would argue arena would help BW see the glaring issues with PvP via game statistics they can track and document

i think these are great ideas from a very experienced mmo player. bioware should really look to some of the very experienced people for ideas or somthing because thy know and have experienced the good and bad of most mmos.

First I do agree arena's are going to be needed to keep the hardcore pvp group happy with the state of the game.

HOWEVER, what I think zybak is missing is that there is no form of cross realm Q or battlegroup system in place.

So while I agree beating up kids who have no idea what theyre doing in War Zones gets old after awhile, when you Q into an arena from Star Wars your just gonna be beating up the same baddies.

So the only thing I would add to your list is a battle group system so the best players on the realm don't just hold the top of the latter for eternity.

Instanced pvp in general is bad. It's what ruined WoW for me. When there's nothing to grind for, you actually are able to enjoy pvp.

Perhaps you didn't read it. There would be no rewards. Nothing but a breath of fresh air to do instead of Warzones for a bit. I think what your enemy might be is rated warzones.

Edited by Vacantlol

Your ideas are very good. The nerfs and buffs around PVP not PVE really has some weight to it. That was a fail on Blizz's part basing PVP around PVE coefficients. So Yes, arenas will be very very nice to see in SWTOR, but several different things need some hotfixes first. the Button delay is the most concerning, imo.

I'd be happy to point you to an rp server as that's what seems to spark your interest. The idea of a non competitive versus game just doesn't seem to jive with me. Try D&D.

I myself being and competeing in top level of pvp for a couple of years in WoW would agree to this.

Also balancing pve around pvp. But SWTOR need to do a lot of stuff before releasing this.

I feel choppy running around wish they'd get soemthing like SWTOR client that is smooth because holy cow does it make the world a better place.