The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ambigous thoughts with the shielding mechanism

Mardur

Hello! I am thinking a lot about how useful shield is in PVP (and strictly in PVP, for PVE levelling/tanking is no question).

I find the shielding mechanism in this game quite ... funky.

In WoW Block is a mitigation stat, as in SWTOR, but it is only frontal and only for melee/physical attacks. In WAR Block can block everything, magic including, and it is an avoidance as blocking nullifies the attack dmg, but it was also frontal. Here, shielding is 360 degree, mitigation, but - and here is my reason for doubt - kicks in only few types of attacks (weapon dmg only as far as I know). However I found the most dangerous attacks against me are NOT weapon dmg, hence shield useless against them.

I did an experiment, going warzones with deep ST then the ST/Pyro then deep Pyro. Same gear (Champ/Cent 9.22% expertise values, supercommando/eliminator pieces).

In the deep ST build I had 37% shield proc, 32% absorb, with the ST/Pyro 27% shield proc 30% absorb, with deep Pyro build 25% shield proc 2x% absorb. Armor was 50%, 47% and 45% respectivelly (deep Pyro I used was 8/2/31 with the 16% armor in ST tree). All build used with Ion Cylinder.

What I found that I was NOT weaker with ST/Pyro and deep Pyro than deep ST! Not at all! Even I felt more powerfull with deep Pyro, not only dmg and killing power but survival wise!

I am starting to think that shield useless, or at least much smaller factor in PvP surviability that I thought (and expected). The only thing in my mind that in question, how the guarded dmg works, does shield proc for them or not, I simply could not observed it and no combat log to check.

Is this others observation too? Because if this is true it is a little bit disappointing. I did not expected WAR style blocking ( it is too powerfull), I am ok with that it is only a mitigation, but I think it should be able to proc for every kind of attack as an absorb shield (as SI/JC absorb shield absorbs everything). If it would be too powerfull then decrease the absorb value (changing the rating calculation). Or is it ok?

I am really curious about - constructive - opinions.

Shield is useless it looks like. Well, against everything but Warriors/Knights and Snipers. Against them Shield and Defense provide full benefit (which is unfair for an entirely different reason and adds even more weight to this matter being addressed somehow). Their attacks are additionally mitigated by armor so they are the only classes where "tanking" provides a significant damper to their progress. Bummer for them.

I do notice a significant increase to my survival with ST/Pyro however. Armor is still pretty solid.

All Force based attacks are mitigated by armor (Kinetic for Jedi and Energy for Sith). They have some Internal and Elemental damage as well, but most of their attacks are Mitigated (If it is Lightning, it is mitigated. That's a LOT of their core attacks).

My testing for the other thread involved my GF's Operative beating on me in various ways for a couple of hours. Even accounting for Acid Blade and a typical Operative opener, Armor did a fair amount for my survival. Operatives do have some Internal damage in the form of their acid attacks, but their meaningful attacks (Shiv, Lacerate, Backstab, and Hidden Strike) are all mitigated by armor.

Unless Pyro Spec, both Mercs and PTs have a decent bit of their damage mitigated by Armor (Arsenal Mercs a bit more so, but their Tracer stacks and Cylinder eventually make it largely moot). If Pyro spec then the only thing significant that Defense, Shield, or Armor affects is Rail Shot (Which ignores most armor anyway, but still deals with Shields/Defense).

There is your rundown of classes and what to expect. There are certainly attacks which entirely bypass all of our defenses, but most of them still seem mitigated by Armor.

For those of us interested in PvP tanking, I wouldn't exactly give up on Ion Cylinder and Guard just yet. What I would do is find a spec no further in ST than necessary and hybridize with something else for more damage. Then it is time to severely reevaluate your gear and stat priorities in PvP.

My advice for anyone trying to PvP tank right now is to keep the Shield Generator (the most significant defense gained vs damage lost) and then drop anything tank related in favor of more damage. HP is OK, Armor is fine, but start shedding dead weight like a cocaine addled actress.

Saber wielders might give you more issues than you're used to (or not, since you're killing them twice as fast with your new damage stats), if it is a problem just get used to kiting them and taking advantage of our longer range.

My advice for anyone trying to PvP tank right now is to keep the Shield Generator (the most significant defense gained vs damage lost) and then drop anything tank related in favor of more damage. HP is OK, Armor is fine, but start shedding dead weight like a cocaine addled actress.

That is my thought exactly! I found that stacking shield rating and absorb rating even made me weaker and less effective on the long run. With deep pyro capable to kill faster and able to time real burst survival rate is increased indirectly. However Ion Cylinder is still the best choice as it gives a lot and even with deep pyro I can build a talent tree to be able to kite.

The only thing i miss is Jet Charge, but actually playing deep pyro means playing more from range and more tactically, so not jump into the fray -> slight surviability increase too.

It is sad that the key feature of the PT (shield/absorb) is a waste in PvP, it seems.

It is sad that the key feature of the PT (shield/absorb) is a waste in PvP, it seems.

Especially since our entire tanking tree is propped up by the mechanic. Our Heat Venting especially. Sin tanks get a flat 30% increase in resource regeneration and Juggs gain resource when taking damage, both of those mechanics are unaffected by these findings.