The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Leveling Woes

Fashooba

I'm currently level 32.

I must have respec'd from Adv Prototype to Pyro and back about 5 times now. Adv Prototype doesn't do enough damage and the skills seem silly (chance for a free rocket punch? Rocket punch is cheap anyways .. and a chance for a railshot crit leave me waiting for that to proc before I use the skill.. so I never get to use it!). I hear it fills out more when I can hit the top of the tree.. but is it more viable?

Pyro is some decent damage, but I'm honestly not fond of the gameplay style. 2 DoTs to upkeep, spamming flame burst hoping for a free railshot while kiting around.. it doesn't FEEL like a POWERTECH.. I feel like a wimpy firebug.

So I'm looking for a good leveling build that's NOT pyrotech. I'm playing this character solo 100% of the time (I use my assassin when playing with friends).

Is adv prototype not worth going into? Can shieldtech be used for leveling .. more specifically, can I still dish out some damage in shieldtech? I don't want to be fighting a silver NPC for 45 seconds because I simply don't have any damage. I love the heat venting in advanced prototype, I just find I don't really have anything hard hitting.

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks,

Fashooba

I'm currently level 32.

I must have respec'd from Adv Prototype to Pyro and back about 5 times now. Adv Prototype doesn't do enough damage and the skills seem silly (chance for a free rocket punch? Rocket punch is cheap anyways .. and a chance for a railshot crit leave me waiting for that to proc before I use the skill.. so I never get to use it!). I hear it fills out more when I can hit the top of the tree.. but is it more viable?

Pyro is some decent damage, but I'm honestly not fond of the gameplay style. 2 DoTs to upkeep, spamming flame burst hoping for a free railshot while kiting around.. it doesn't FEEL like a POWERTECH.. I feel like a wimpy firebug.

So I'm looking for a good leveling build that's NOT pyrotech. I'm playing this character solo 100% of the time (I use my assassin when playing with friends).

Is adv prototype not worth going into? Can shieldtech be used for leveling .. more specifically, can I still dish out some damage in shieldtech? I don't want to be fighting a silver NPC for 45 seconds because I simply don't have any damage. I love the heat venting in advanced prototype, I just find I don't really have anything hard hitting.

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks,

Fashooba

Pyrotech is the best leveling and DPS spec, shield tech is nice if you like tanking its not high damage at all but will kill things, Advanced proto is OK but is lacking in the damage/survivablity department.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMcZfhrbzGhMc.1

this is the best damage spec any one has come up with so far.

Sorry if this isnt what you want to hear but you want your cake and to eat it to, I cant deliver that. Go tank if you like to tank and hate pyro that much. Best I can say. You can however level as pretty much any thing but being viable at 50 is a different story.

Edited by Eroex

Just go shieldtech for leveling. With mako healing and me tanking theres no problem. Setting up some nice DTA the jumping in with jet charge and dropping flamethrower to aoe the rest. Usually its just Rocket punch>Rail shot>flame burst. Grappling hook is king for pulling mobs or grabbing a mob to setup a nice aoe.

Current spec is generic pyro. I'm at work so I can't go through skill calculators.. looks weird to co-workers. Just take 32 levels worth of points and put them into damaging abilities in pyro and you have my spec.

Just how every fight results in running sideways away from my foe trying to slow him and get some railshots.. it's not fun. I'd love to be in his face but.. bah, I just can't seem to make this class work.

Current spec is generic pyro. I'm at work so I can't go through skill calculators.. looks weird to co-workers. Just take 32 levels worth of points and put them into damaging abilities in pyro and you have my spec.

Just how every fight results in running sideways away from my foe trying to slow him and get some railshots.. it's not fun. I'd love to be in his face but.. bah, I just can't seem to make this class work.

Its the reason why the class is so successful, you can do that. As a juggernaut or marauder you have to stay in the fight. You die a lot because of it. They do similar damage but they cant kite and get healed back up while still doing damage.

That's true, I don't die much.. decent amount of downtime though.. I've been able to reduce this with 2 points into the vent heat cooldown reduction, and I'm in biochem so I have a reusable 2k heal.

Maybe my problem is I'm playing solo. If there were someone there in front to take the brunt of the damage or at least distract them.. I think I would be better off. Can I transfer Khem Val to my powertech?

This is very confusing to me. While you CAN kite around as Pyrotech, there's really absolutely no need to. As you're preventing yourself from using Rocket Punch, you're actually interrupting your own rotation and hurting your DPS/lowering your Rail Shot procs by running around snaring with Flame Burst. It's totally unnecessary. What are you killing that you feel the need to kite it around? You should be comfortable going toe to toe with anything up to and including same level elites, and some of the weaker champions, unless you're in grey con gear.

Second, 2 DoTs to upkeep? I assume you mean Incendiary Missile and Combustible Gas Cylinder. Someone who is better at math than me can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't really feel the need to "keep IM up". At 25 heat it's a bugger to use if you don't have Thermal Sensor Override available, and the long DoT means anything strong or under is going to be dead long before it runs its course. I use it to open fights on elites, when the mood takes me, or when I'm engaging at long range for some reason. It's not a fussy DoT that you absolutely need to have ticking away though.

CGC will be up 95% of the time just through you naturally working through your rotation. Flame Burst applies it 100% of the time, and Rail Shot resets it. Every once in a blue moon it might fall off, but it is invariably almost immediately re-applied. I think I've had railshots hit a NON burning target maybe twice in the last 15 levels.

I'm not saying that Pyrotech doesn't have its nuisances, or that you're wrong for wanting to do something else, but the spec is anything but a wimpy, kiting firebug who is over-reliant on DoTs.