The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advice for 1v1 vs Sith Juggernaut/Marauder

Dr_Rocky

So, I spend most of my time in the warzones on my level 50 8/31/2 tactics vanguard (I stay pve spec in the hopes that I'll *eventually* find a group for a hardmode). I have my 5 piece champion set and pretty much everything but an ear, an implant, and my rifle (:() in pvp form.

I can generally handle any class that I find myself fighting 1v1 in a warzone (assuming I have Tenacity up for when an operative decides that I no longer have need of my kidneys) with the exception of Sith Warriors. I read early on that Vanguards should be sick nasty against melee so long as they utilize their ability to kite and deal medium/long ranged damage, but in my experience it seems that even if I stay at a nice range from them (far enough that I can't Stockstrike or Gut them) they seem to still manage to tear me up, as if the damage I do while kiting them can't compensate for the burst they do when they inevitably close the gap. When I find myself able to get one low, they pop a huge damage mitigation cooldown and/or their (please don't hate me) Last Stand-like cooldown and I proceed to weep.

Forgive me if I just combined Marauder abilities with Juggernaut abilities and meshed all their trees together, but I'm still learning which are unique to each advanced class. Does anyone have any tips I could bum off of them, such as saving Cryo for when they use X ability, saving Tenacity in case they use Y, or popping Hold The Line and running like hell if I see them pop Z?

It is very hard to kite a sith warrior with 8/31/2 talents, that's the problem. You have to dive back in for stockstrike everytime you have to kite, and it is has cooldown.

When I was doing tactics I always go 0/31/10. Kiting with ion pulse is a lot easier than with stockstrike. Ion pulse has no cooldown and has 10 mins range. You can spam it . With Hold the Line you can easily run circles around a SW.

You can kite even better using Assault spec as assault spec lets you start the snaring from 30m out. They can't even run away if they are in trouble.

It is very hard to kite a sith warrior with 8/31/2 talents, that's the problem. You have to dive back in for stockstrike everytime you have to kite, and it is has cooldown.

When I was doing tactics I always go 0/31/10. Kiting with ion pulse is a lot easier than with stockstrike. Ion pulse has no cooldown and has 10 mins range. You can spam it . With Hold the Line you can easily run circles around a SW.

You can kite even better using Assault spec as assault spec lets you start the snaring from 30m out. They can't even run away if they are in trouble.

Ah, so you suggest running plasma cell then for the snare. Did you not find yourself running out of ammo more frequently without Cell Generator keeping you going?

1v1? I am never worry about ammo in 1v1. Especially against SW - since SW themselves can't heal they are not really endurance fighters without a healer.

Ion pulse spam is almost a must in 1v1 anyways if for nothing but to build Pulse Generator (since you are talking about Tactics tree). If you find yourself a bit low just switch to hammer shots for a few seconds. 1 recharge cells should be all that's ever required in 1v1. If I can't kill them still after 1 recharge cell, chances are they outgear me and I won't likely to win anyways.

My thought is always that plasma cell is a lot more ideal in pvp if you are not planning to go tank spec for pvp and protect other people as a priority. DoTs of plasma cell are effective in pvp for a variety of reasons (DoT prevents caps of points, DoT slows, DoT increases other instant attacks' damage in Assault spec, DoT enables HiB, etc just to name a few)

Edited by aRtFuL

1v1? I am never worry about ammo in 1v1. Especially against SW - since SW themselves can't heal they are not really endurance fighters without a healer.

Ion pulse spam is almost a must in 1v1 anyways if for nothing but to build Pulse Generator (since you are talking about Tactics tree). If you find yourself a bit low just switch to hammer shots for a few seconds. 1 recharge cells should be all that's ever required in 1v1. If I can't kill them still after 1 recharge cell, chances are they outgear me and I won't likely to win anyways.

My thought is always that plasma cell is a lot more ideal in pvp if you are not planning to go tank spec for pvp and protect other people as a priority. DoTs of plasma cell are effective in pvp for a variety of reasons (DoT prevents caps of points, DoT slows, DoT increases other instant attacks' damage in Assault spec, DoT enables HiB, etc just to name a few)

Hmm, a very strong argument. I appear to be sold. Thanks for your input.