The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Which ability do you open with in PvE?

Miths

Just curious. I noticed someone mention in the "What abilities don't you use?" thread that he doesn't use Sticky Grenade. That's always my opener, because at least here at my lowly level 16 (haven't been to the trainer yet to see what kind of new exciting lvl. 16 skills might be awaiting me) I don't really feel I have any abilities more appropriate while I'm closing the distance to a group of mobs.

It's usually Sticky Grenade on the guy in the middle, fire a couple of Hammershots off while I close the distance, and then I get started on Ion Pulse/Ion Cannon/Stockstrike etc.

With groups, I mortar volley if it's off cooldown or Storm in (you'll get that at 30 with a pure shield build) and Explosive Surge, then Pulse Cannon. Your suggestion of using sticky bomb as an opener does have merit, but I find against weak enemies it spreads them out further than I'd like. Against multiple strongs or in instances, though, it sounds like an excellent idea.

Against single enemies, I surge then stockstrike, but again here sticky bomb sounds like it would work rather well.

I haven't been using Mortar Volley much, but it sounds like that's a mistake. I've just been getting the impression that mobs in a group are often too far spread out for me to hit more than one or two with Mortar?

I'll certainly give it another try.

opening with sticky is only possible in solo play. it is delayed aggro in group play so not feasible early. still, an excellent ability that should be used asap.

mortar volley can usually get 75% of the mobs, if not all. it's by far the best opener we have.

Edited by ururururu

I've just been trying out Mortar Volley and it definitely packs a punch. I'm not sure why but for some reason I had just during my very early levels underestimated its effective radius - perhaps because I thought it only hit within the targeting circle (so much for being too lazy to read ability descriptions :), which says 8 meters).

Against single enemies, I surge then stockstrike, but again here sticky bomb sounds like it would work rather well.

Against single targets you should debuff with Ion Pulse rather than Explosive Surge. The damage per ammo on Surge is awful unless you're hitting multiple targets. I pretty much only use Surge for AOE debuffing or for revealing stealthers.