The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What is the 2/8/31 build?

Boomwiki

I've seen reference to this Powertech build as being one of our best burst DPS options.. but I can't find a link to the build anywhere.

I'm still wrapping my head around Powertech, so while I'm sure I could figure it out once I hit 50 and am familiar with all my abilities, etc. I would appreciate a heads-up to exactly what this build is so as to not waste any points on the way up.

Thanks in advance!

2 in Rail Loaders

+

2 in Prototype Burn Enhancers

3 in Puncture

1 in Prototype Cylnders

2 in Advanced Tools (PvP) or 2 in Hot Iron (PvE)

+

31 in Pyrotech to get Thermal Detonator and pick three out of the following six 2-pointers:

Sweltering Heat, Gyroscopic Alignment Jets, Degauss, Infrared Sensors, Energy Rebounder, Automated Defenses.

EDIT: There's also a 8/2/31 that you could argue is more potent for PvE, where you would add Intimidation and Steely Resolve in Shieldtech and have only Prototype Burn Enhancers in Advanced Prototype.

Edited by badalchemist

Hot Iron is better for PvP IMO. I am always using the flameburst so might as wlel dish out more DPS while spamming it trying to get the cool down of RS.

I personally agree, but if you're a warzone fiend, most of the matches will be Huttball, so some might find the lower cooldown on Grapple useful.

i see a lots of post saying 2/8/31 or 8/2/31 for dps... If 8/2/31 is more PVE friendly, wouldn't it be better to include 2 points in Rebraced Armor and get 16% more armor? Edited by Choopak

i see a lots of post saying 2/8/31 or 8/2/31 for dps... If 8/2/31 is more PVE friendly, wouldn't it be better to include 2 points in Rebraced Armor and get 16% more armor?

What 2 points would you give up to take that? Keep in mind that your role with that spec is to deal the most damage possible--not to take damage.

Edited by badalchemist

What 2 points would you give up to take that? Keep in mind that your role with that spec is to deal the most damage possible--not to take damage.

Well in PvE you're going to take damage. Period. If, for whatever reason, healing is an issue for your Guild then a spec with a bit more survivability is the obvious choice.

Not that Rebraced Armor is the right answer anyway. Most of the AoE damage seems to be Elemental.

Well in PvE you're going to take damage. Period. If, for whatever reason, healing is an issue for your Guild then a spec with a bit more survivability is the obvious choice.

Not that Rebraced Armor is the right answer anyway. Most of the AoE damage seems to be Elemental.

Your job is to dps, let the healers worry about the damage and the tanks about armor.

Your job is to dps, let the healers worry about the damage and the tanks about armor.

That sounds like an awesome attitude if you want to spend all night wiping because of undergeared healers.

You do zero DPS when you're dead. If your Operation Group can't keep up with the damage output, then you're going to be dead.

There are times when specing for survivability is absolutely the right thing to do. Rebraced Armor just isn't going to do that for you.

That sounds like an awesome attitude if you want to spend all night wiping because of undergeared healers.

You do zero DPS when you're dead. If your Operation Group can't keep up with the damage output, then you're going to be dead.

There are times when specing for survivability is absolutely the right thing to do. Rebraced Armor just isn't going to do that for you.

I may be off here, but from what I'm reading, most the current end game content isn't bad enough that a some extra armor vs. a bit of extra DPS is going to make or break a team. So until the material gets difficult enough, it probably doesn't matter (personal pref?)

I may be off here, but from what I'm reading, most the current end game content isn't bad enough that a some extra armor vs. a bit of extra DPS is going to make or break a team. So until the material gets difficult enough, it probably doesn't matter (personal pref?)

AGAIN.

Thats the third time for those of you playing the home game.

REBRACED ARMOR WOULD BE A WASTE OF POINTS ANYWAY BECAUSE MOST OF THE SPLASH DAMAGE IS NOT KINETIC OR ENERGY.

Whew. Think they got that one?

AGAIN.

Thats the third time for those of you playing the home game.

REBRACED ARMOR WOULD BE A WASTE OF POINTS ANYWAY BECAUSE MOST OF THE SPLASH DAMAGE IS NOT KINETIC OR ENERGY.

Whew. Think they got that one?

And a dps build can back up if it's taking too much AoE anyways.