The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tank PvP builds?

AnAcuteAngle

Currently running http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RRGrborogzZMsbZb.1 for pvp and leveling, at 47. Most likely will switch to 21/2/18 at 48.

The link I've posted is the most viable of the 31pt shieldtech builds. It's debatable that you can move the 2 points from the armor gain to jet speed as armor doesn't mitigate internal damage.

Edited by offensivex

I run full PVE tank spec and love it. Have yet to go down to anyone 1v1, and makes defending places a breeze, and I've gotten plenty of 300k damage medals. (I know plenty of people do more damage than that, but that's plenty for me considering all the punishment I take. I end most matches with 10-11 medals in total, sometimes more.)

Honestly, I dont think ST is worth having 30 points.

28/11/2 seems to have the most potenti (Retractable Blade > Heat Blast)

Like I said, I want something with more tanking potential than 21-2-18.

I feel like even a 23/0/18 would be better than that.

30/11/0 or 28/11/2 seem to be the most viable to me. Combine with the supercommando set, I feel like it could be pretty alright, nearly unkillable.

I'm not there yet, but 28/11/2 is what I'm doing.

I have the 2 in rocket punch, 8 to use retractable blade, and the rest in shield. I'm strong, have a good 1-2 punch up close ad rail gun hits hard. I also have speed, utility, and LOTS of HP's.

Z

A straight ST build is a shameful waste of points.

Testing proves that you are only capable of Shielding attacks which are listed as "Weapon Damage" on the tooltip.

Take a look at your own bars, how many of your attacks could you shield? I'll save you some suspense. Three.

ALL other ability tooltips which list damage as "Kinetic Damage," "Elemental Damage," "Energy Damage," or "Internal Damage" bypass your shields entirely.

If you want to be an effective tank in PvP the best thing you can do is drop the last 2 tiers of ST for more damage. Period.

A straight ST build is a shameful waste of points.

Testing proves that you are only capable of Shielding attacks which are listed as "Weapon Damage" on the tooltip.

Take a look at your own bars, how many of your attacks could you shield? I'll save you some suspense. Three.

ALL other ability tooltips which list damage as "Kinetic Damage," "Elemental Damage," "Energy Damage," or "Internal Damage" bypass your shields entirely.

If you want to be an effective tank in PvP the best thing you can do is drop the last 2 tiers of ST for more damage. Period.

The same could be said for Armour rating. This is where theorycrafting tends to undo itself. Think back to every WZ you've been in. Think how many times the lightsabers started beating on you.

There are plenty of options depending on playstyle, which is the key factor here. I personally will be planning something akin to 26/0/15. bit of extra dmg in incendiary missile/rail shot armour pen, some heat venting abilities and increased def/shields.

seems as though it will work for MY playstyle. :)

The same could be said for Armour rating.

It really can't.

The more I've been testing and investigating how Mitigation, Avoidance, and Shielding affect PvP the more Armor tends to shine.

For instance, did you know how many Sorc and Assassin abilties are classified as Energy and not Elemental? All those Force Lightning ticks are mitigated by armor. In fact, of all classes, we seem to be the ones with easiest access to Armor ignoring damage in the form of our Elemental attacks via Flamethrower based abilities.

Shields and Defense don't do much for a majority of attacks in this game, but most of those attacks which bypass those protections deal damage types which are mitigated by armor.

Well it's certainly interesting what you say.

As I said in my post, I usually get hammered by lightsaber classes, and have noticed shield procs appearing to help in these situations..BUT it's very possible i've missed a heal land on me or something. Without combat logs it's damn near impossible to find out unless someone + a friend goes to the Den records the fight paying attention to combat text.

Very interested to see how this pans out, esp due to the amount of absorption on certain pvp gear.

Well it's certainly interesting what you say.

As I said in my post, I usually get hammered by lightsaber classes, and have noticed shield procs appearing to help in these situations..BUT it's very possible i've missed a heal land on me or something. Without combat logs it's damn near impossible to find out unless someone + a friend goes to the Den records the fight paying attention to combat text.

Very interested to see how this pans out, esp due to the amount of absorption on certain pvp gear.

Saber attacks and Sniper shots are the only meaningful attacks which are affected by Shields currently.