The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Leveling

triangulate

I got my IA Op to lvl50 a week ago and have all champ gear barring 2 pieces, i mainly do dailys on him now and some Open world ambushing.

I decided to roll an alt so i wouldnt get bored playing the same toon all the time.

I tried Smuggler, trooper, shadow, assassin but didn't realy like any of the storys. So i tried BH and thought the story was pretty cool (not as cool as the IA story lol) so i have set my heart on keeping him as my alt.

Im lvl20 atm, at lvl10 i chose Powertech.

Here is my problem, i have leveled from 10-20 as a ST and found that i was always overheating, i have tried different rotations but it doesnt seem to help.

So at level 20 i went full Pyro, im having the exact same problems. I just cant seem to put a rotation together that can kill the mobs without having to revert to auto attacks before the end of the fight.

Does it get better?

Im an MMO veteran so i know how to conserve "energy" on most characters, and i manage it extremely well on my IA but on the BH i just cant seem to manage my heat.

Can anyone point me to a descent leveling guide, or give me a link to a spec that helps to manage heat effectively?

Any and all help appreciated.

PS: Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but these are the only forums i have ever posted on without a "search" function.

Shield and Pyro involve a lot more heat management than AP. It doesn't make a huge difference in what spec you choose until around 20+ though when they start to come into their own.

Pyro is considered the "best" or at least fastest leveling by many but as I said requires much more paying attention to heat and procs to manage it. Once you have superheated rail AND prototype particle accelerator maxed it becomes less of an issue but still requires paying attention.

AP on the other hand has more passive heat venting as well as low cost rotations, but doesn't start paying off damage wise until later than pyro, and even then never catches up (overall I mean, AP does enough damage to level fine).

I would personally stick with pyro and tough it out while you get better and pick up helpful skills, but you may want to give AP a shot for awhile. I haven't played AP much but some people do prefer it. I've always done fine with pyro.

Edited by Mordeguy