The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Leveling - Switched from Adv to Pyro .. disappointed

Fashooba

So I'm having a VERY hard time dealing with this class. I'm level 28, and this is my current build..

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301ZZfhbrzu.1

Generic DPS build.. however I'm finding this far from effective.

Current rotation is

Death From Above (If 3+ enemies)

Electro Dart (If there's a silver+)

Explosive Dart (More in place of thermal detonator than anything else..)

Incendiary Missile

Rail Shot

Flame Burst

Rocket Punch

I throw in some rapid shots in here in there when heat > 45

I try to ensure both incendiary missile and CGC are on 100% of the time

I pop rail shot whenever I get a free one

Overall.. fights just go way too long.. I'm not doing any damage! There's almost no burst whatsoever. I switched from Adv Prototype, where I feel like I did about the same damage.. but at least there I had easy heat management to reduce downtime. I feel like I've just shot myself in the leg.

I've noticed some of my gear was fairly outdated, so I started to focus on that more.. but I'd like to try to pinpoint my problem areas (because there clearly is one).

Currently, my aim is 423 and crit chance is 18% (multiplier is 50%)... crit seems pretty low.

So am I doing something wrong? Or are powertechs just not amazing with DPS? I have an assassin the same level and he's constantly hitting 1100's with the backstab, 700's from shock and discharge.. with the powertech, I see about 400-600 damage from railshot and that's about as good as it gets.

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Fashooba

Well, I certainly cannot understand your problem so I'll just tell you how I felt while leveling my PT.

Alas, I cannot say much about AP since I only went AP till about level 25 - then I switched to ST for tanking, which worked pretty well, I could level without problems and finding FP Companions was quite easy as well.

Though after hitting 40 I found my damage, and therefore my leveling speed, too low and being a Tank wasn't worth as much anymore since there were hardly many people on that level then so I never was able to find FP Groups anyways. (Also Heat Blast is.. terrible for a 40 Point Talent)

That was when I decided to go Pyro and it was awesome. I literally burned everything to the ground. I think your problem is that you lack some very important skills from the Pyro tree, which you just cannot have yet (e.g. the increased Damage if targets HP is <30%).

Though what you can already change is following:

1.) Dont open with Expl. Dart, heck I rarely even use Thermal Detonator in PvE, you just dont need it (except againts Golds who can heal themselves - thats when you need a timed burst).

My Rotation usually goes something like this: Incendiary Missile -> RS -> Flame Burst -> RS (if possible) -> Rocket -> Alternate Flame Burst/Rapid Shots and taking every RS+Rocket that come up.

Also I just run away from weak enemies if they already have low hp and both DoTs on them - they will die.

2.) You need to pay attention to your gear! Always have the newest possible Blaster+Power Generator, since you really need the +Tech Power from them.

Also, prefer items with Power/Crit over Alacrity/Hit

3.) I dont know why you need to use Elec Dart if theres a Silver among the enemies, fire Incendiary Missile on it to keep the aggro on you and Flame Burst/RS the lowly Adds (Keep Makos gear up to date!)

Cheers~

what youre all doing wrong is not using flamethrower. also dont go full pyrotech if youre not 50, the above poster is right. do a hybrid build

Well, I use it.. it's just not in my normal rotation (If I see 3 guys lined up perfectly, I'll use it). I guess it's back to advanced prototype for leveling? I just feel like every leveling build I try is so .. lackluster.. and nothing early on seems to work well..

Edited by Fashooba

1-47 your best bet is to just go ST with Mako behind you the who time. Fights take a bit longer but you have very little down time. When she gets her taxer ability your going to really like her.

Put 2 points into RP and 3 into RailShot from the other two trees. Avoid the ION damage selections as they aren't accurate.

I open up with Jump Pack > shoulder Slam > Rocket Punch > Rail Shot...

Just my experience, no fancy charts

I actually had the opposite experience as you. I switched from Adv Proto to Pyrotech at 23 and never looked back. I was killing mobs way faster as Pyro than AP.

My basic combat technique is pretty simple. I will typically IM -> Railshot the toughest mob in the pack, then tab target to the weaker mobs and FB all of them to get dots ticking everywhere. I also keep Rocket Punch on cooldown and use any RS procs that come up. Once all the small adds are down, I go back to the strongest and finish him off with a simple priority: RS proc, Rocket Punch, FB.

IM is not worth using on < silver mobs because they won't last the full duration of the dot and the heat isn't worth it.

But if you don't like it, Adv Proto is a fine spec too. I just felt like it wasn't blooming the way Pyro did for me.

I guess.. maybe I'm just comparing it too much between other classes rather than specs.

As far as solo-ability, I don't see a heck of a lot of difference between Adv and Pyro, they're both just OK. As my assassin, I can easily wipe out targets quickly.. I do come closer to dying more often with the assassin, but he's always got the worst case scenario vanish.

But there's about 40 billion assassins around me at any given time.. makes it very .. lame to just be identical to everyone else.

Been playing with this pyro for a few days now. It's OK. Not amazing by any means. Spamming FB and RP is a lot of work to get an OK damaging RS and some heat venting.

Maybe powertech just isn't for me.

start with death from above if you have it, if not run up as close as you can then throw explosive dart, now try and line up as many as you can with flamethrower and hit them untill they all get knnocked down by the explosion, now just flameburst dot the low health ones and let them die from the combustable gas cylinder dot, and focus your damage on the higher health enemies

once you get the super heated rail talent start over in the middle tree geting 60% rail shot ignore, then go back to leveling pyro

pyro is definetly a late bloomer, but i can solo those super boss elite mobs in heroic 2 man quests by simply kiting it around with the flameburst dot snare, they definetly arent the worst soloers around

Edited by Bejita