The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New PT with a few (unsearchable) questions

Spankle

With search function being down i have a few questions hopefully someone can help me out with.

I just picked up the game 3 days ago, and it's been a long time since i played that "other" mmo so i'm still getting used to the mmo mechanics again.

I decided to go PT because i want to be able to tank late game but also have some fun PvP with my healer buddy at 50. At 50 im sure ill end up with the hybrid Shield/Pyro build. My questions, however, have to do with leveling.

1. What tree and cylinder is best for leveling pve? Do you spec in to Pyro first and keep CGC up and go straight damage or is it more efficient to start off and build up shield with ion active? I've looked at many peoples builds but that's all end game and doesn't help me with most effective talent point spending early game.

2. What rotation(s) Do you use as a powertech? Currently, I usually open up with rapid fire, If it doesn't proc rail i throw an elctro dart and rail shot followed by Rocket punch/Flamethrower/FlameBurst then i either rapid fire again or keep spamming flame burst/RP depending on enemy HP.

*Obviously i open groups with DFA when not on cd.

Lastly should I pay alot of attention to my crewskills (bio/bio/dip) early on or focus on hard leveling and powerlevel the crew skills later in the game?

Thank you for any suggestions and answers you could give me.

Edited by Spankle

Hey, welcome to the game.

I levelled as Advanced Prototype and didnt have any problems, with Mako throwing out the heals, though i think you can easily level with any tree. So it comes down to personal preference really. The first few respecs at 50 are pretty damn cheap (the 1st is free) so dont worry about picking your end game spec as you level, just go for what feels comfortable.

I found myself spamming just about every ability i had, with Rapid Shots thrown in to keep the heat low :rolleyes:. You'll pick up new abilities from the trainer and tree (depending on what specc you go with) as you level and soon realise what are your bigger hitting moves and which moves blow your heat through the roof. I would agree with opening with DFA whenever you can (outside of the group quests), that ability is freaking amazing.

I chose the same crew proff's (bio / bio / dip) but i waited till 50 before spending credits on missions, just scavenging whatever bio plants i could along the way. Mainly because i thought if i spent credits on crew missions, i wouldnt be able to afford the 3 mount certificates. In hindsight, i probably should have been sending out companions and skilling up diplomacy as i levelled since this game throws credits at you. Its more than likely you'll hit 50, buy all 3 mount certificates and still have a million credits in the bank.

Nah, you won't wanna use IGC unless your levelling primarily as shieldtech, mainly due to each tree having talents beneficial to each cylinder. The damage reduction of IGC is hardly noticeable in comparison to the heat reduction of HEGC if your adv proto, or the DoT effect of CGC if your pyro.

Thanks for the reply hoopi.

What about the cylinders? Do the defenseive benefits of IGC really make a difference in PvE or is it better to get the damage out of CGC

do yourself a favor go full pyro for pve dps use CGC.. proto damage is terrible compared to pyro right now.. proto really needs a full rework

Edited by sanosukex