The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Anyone else feeling underwhealmed by Double Strike?

Raskovik

You will not be disappointed. If you want to see it already, check one of Powerr's
s. It's main attack and opener for an infiltration so you should be able to notice what it is. :)

Clairvoyant strike is one of the best things with infiltration. I really hate double strike animation also. The animation itself and pause between 2x DS doesn't feel fluent. :)

Oh cool! Thanks for the info!

Yeah, that's pretty slick! It's a lot more impressive than the static double-strike animation. That spinning wheel effect is pretty nice.

...And yet.... It's static! Couldn't help but feel a little disappointed still! Ahh, the conflict. Maybe I'm being ungrateful, but it still doesn't feel like you're flowing with that lightsaber.

It's like:

*Thawck* *Zrrr* *Thawck* *Zrrr*

Standing here and doing the same move over and over!

*Thack* *Zrrr* *Thawck* *Zrrr*

Perhaps the trick is to not let the player feel this way, even though it's exactly what you're going to do--make them love to do it because it looks cool and FEELS awesome.

The ability also uses the same exact animation as the Double Strike for your character. The lightsaber is just being tossed this time. Argh! It's cool, but then it still falls short imho.

I was imagining an animation that twirls your lightsaber around (slashing at the target) and could give the effect of your character being able to infinitely loop that move till they fell down dizzy--you know?

Since the mechanic would call for the move being used twice; your character would twirl the lightsaber around in a 360 degree or at least spin the saber around her body and bring it back to her ready position--set for another strike if the player chooses to use it again. This way, it would give the illusion of fluidity. The animation would be fluid and smooth as far as the idea is concerned, but I'm no programmer.

grandmasterub has the right idea!

---------

"A couple more animations would be sweet imo.

Especially if the 3 flowed together. And if you use something else in between it could just start at 1 again or whatever. Id like to see my shadow doing some more turning in combat if possible, striking behind him and such."

-----------------

(Slightly different topic--but wouldn't the Shadow Strike--the move you can only do behind your target--be cooler if your character held the saber from behind and so you would stab *backwards* into your enemy? Like Darth Maul when he struck Qui-Gon Jinn? Right now, it looks exactly like the riposte animation from the Jedi Knight, except you have a double-bladed lightsaber.)

As both mentioned abilities stand now, it feels like the player is just slugging a punching bag repeatedly. It's very stop and go--stop and go. Gas, break, gas break. It's not fluid or flowing at all. Kinda like Karate punch and Kiai (shouting as you punch), pulling back and doing it again over and over -- very stop and go; as opposed to that same punch followed by a spinning roundhouse kick that can flow into another punch and roundhouse kick... and another and another... Onto infinity or until you run out energy -- the point is, it gives off the impression of the Jedi's fluid mastery of motion.

Suppose it would be too much to ask to cherry pick some animations and put it into double-strike and clairvoyant strike at least?

And what is up with that channeling ability that we see Sith Assassin NPCs use? They do a channeling move where they starting twirling their *double-bladed lightsabers* *Darth Maul* style with both hands and do fancy footwork. The Jedi Knight encounters a Sith Assassin like this on a ship a little before the first Chapter ends. THAT guy actually convinced me to roll a Jedi Shadow, for that move!! Is that move even in the game for players? I'm level 40 and feeling it's a little late.

Edited by Savarous