Vanguard Tactics Cell?

PanzerKpw

Tactics is designed to synergize with the High Energy Cell. However, there are hybrid builds using both of the other 2 cells. So there's not one right answer to your question, but use HEC if you don't have a clear idea of why you'd choose a different one.

At low levels, use ion cell with a shield for better survivability, or plasma cell with a power generator for more dps.

Would you not use Plasma at least till you hit lvl 20 and get Gut, so that you have something that procs the DoT, enabling you to use High Impact Bolt?

If you're using Ion and aren't Level 20 yet, the only way you can proc a High Impact Bolt is via your stun in PvP, as your explosive round doesnt knock enemy players down.

You can use Ion in PvE of course, as then you can knock enemies down with Explosive Round, and use that to proc a High Impact Bolt shot, but you're still screwed vs the Elite enemies, as they don't suffer knockdown.

Therefore, am I right in thinking, use Plasma Cell till 20, where you can get Gut and use Ion Cell?

That's new to me, so knockback on Explosive Round does work with Ion Cell in PvP? How do you get this info, just wondering so I know in the future.

No.

The DOT from Ion Cell works in PVP to trigger HIB, unlike Explosive Round which does not.

Therefore, am I right in thinking, use Plasma Cell till 20, where you can get Gut and use Ion Cell?

Another path for tactics is, go 10 pts into Assault first so you can get the ion pulse 100% proc Plasma cells, thus you don't even need to worry about applying gut to proc HiB (since ion pulse will be one of your bread and butter abilities as Tactics).

ion cell does great damage on its own, and you gain all that survivability/utility from the slow.

It deals terrible dmg, since it's currently broken. It's much lower than tooltip says and enemy's armor mitigation allows.