Trayes PVP build

Trayes

We got passive 40% dmg reduction, dodge abilities, trinket that increases shield/absorb and shield generator. It's not much, but combined with tank stance and heals it keeps me alive.

The guaranteed crit on shock IS nice, but I don't think it gets +50% crit dmg with recklessness AND the crits it does while decent are our only high dps ability with this spec.

P.S: My stats posted above were with full champion/battlemaster defensive set.

Unless you have ****** gear and/or aiming for max dps go for shield generator. The mitigation it offers is more useful than the extra stats on focus. I only use focus when aiming for 5k damage medal.

If you are using the tank charge in a Deception Build then your damage will be less then a tank build using the tank charge.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the new changes to the Darkness Tree I feel like Full Darkness may have a really solid spot in pvp.

Assassin

Dark Charge: Healing received through Dark Charge has been increased, scales properly at higher levels, and can only be triggered once every 4.5 seconds.

Overcharge Saber: Now allows Dark Charge to trigger once every 3 seconds.

Wither: Damage has been increased by 15% and it now slows the movement speed of all affected targets.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIMokrskbsZZf0cM.1

Also I am going to go play the 23/0/18 build again. I just want to get more testing on it. Also people who do bad damage with 23/0/18 or 27/14/0 must be doing something wrong. Because I blow up most people on damage. The only person who beats me on Damage are Ops.

With the new changes to the Darkness Tree I feel like Full Darkness may have a really solid spot in pvp.

Assassin

Dark Charge: Healing received through Dark Charge has been increased, scales properly at higher levels, and can only be triggered once every 4.5 seconds.

Overcharge Saber: Now allows Dark Charge to trigger once every 3 seconds.

Wither: Damage has been increased by 15% and it now slows the movement speed of all affected targets.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIMokrskbsZZf0cM.1

Also I am going to go play the 23/0/18 build again. I just want to get more testing on it. Also people who do bad damage with 23/0/18 or 27/14/0 must be doing something wrong. Because I blow up most people on damage. The only person who beats me on Damage are Ops.

people who do bad damage are using full tank gear

people who do bad damage are using full tank gear

This. I think people naturally think that you are tanky because you have 23 points into the darkness tree without even looking at the build. The 23/0/18 spec is a very offensive build IMHO. You really don't pick up many defensive talents in that build at all.

This. I think people naturally think that you are tanky because you have 23 points into the darkness tree without even looking at the build. The 23/0/18 spec is a very offensive build IMHO. You really don't pick up many defensive talents in that build at all.

This. I get 300k damage medal a lot with the 23/0/18 build. The 27/14/0 build has less damage but it lets you stay alive longer with HD.

This. I get 300k damage medal a lot with the 23/0/18 build. The 27/14/0 build has less damage but it lets you stay alive longer with HD.

Have you ever tried the 0/18/23 build? I saw it yesterday and am going to play around with it when I log on later. It definitely looks like it has potential for even more damage but I don't know if ill be able to part ways with the snare removal on force speed for any significant amount of time.

Have you ever tried the 0/18/23 build? I saw it yesterday and am going to play around with it when I log on later. It definitely looks like it has potential for even more damage but I don't know if ill be able to part ways with the snare removal on force speed for any significant amount of time.

The problem with that build is you are losing SO MUCH from the tank tree. You lose the out of stealth spike, Force pull, Extra armor and defense, 30% force regen, 2 sec off froce shroud, and the list goes on.

I have a question, I intend to tank in PvP but I keep saying these sort of hybrid builds. Is spending 10+ points in other trees viable for solid tank PvP?

I will test them but level 11 on new Assasin so don't have the chance to as yet.

TH

I have a question, I intend to tank in PvP but I keep saying these sort of hybrid builds. Is spending 10+ points in other trees viable for solid tank PvP?

I will test them but level 11 on new Assasin so don't have the chance to as yet.

TH

The 31/0/10 build is a solid tank build with 10 in madness, but I personally think anymore than that and it takes away from the tankiness of darkness.

You will tank PVP just fine with 23 Dark 18 Madness. Arguably better sense you will be able to insta-mez a sniper-type from his range and pull him out of cover and into your DPS train.

You will lose 5% AE damage reduction + snare nuke, and Harnessed Shadows/Darkness (Does this make you tanky? I would argue not, at least not for group PVP, though I'm sure you win more 1v1s with Harnessed Shadows/Darkness)

You will tank PVP just fine with 23 Dark 18 Madness. Arguably better sense you will be able to insta-mez a sniper-type from his range and pull him out of cover and into your DPS train.

You will lose 5% AE damage reduction + snare nuke, and Harnessed Shadows/Darkness (Does this make you tanky? I would argue not, at least not for group PVP, though I'm sure you win more 1v1s with Harnessed Shadows/Darkness)

I would argue that HD does make you more tanky. The reason why is no one in their right mind will focus me. They will focus a healer or a DPS. However Guard+Taunt will lower the damage they take while I take some of it. HD will let me regen a lot of that lost health as well as dealing a lot of damage. And Wither for sure makes you a lot more tanky. 5% less damage on a whole group adds up to a LOT of damage. A slow will also add up to people taking less damage. Last night I got 300k damage medal as a 31/0/10 spec. I was pretty happy with that.

As the tank spec you should be getting the tank pvp set but getting DPS mods and enhancements for it. This lets you do a ton of damage.

I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with damage numbers. I usually top my team's damage with like 150K in a win, because we've crushed the enemy so thoroughly that they stopped fighting after a mere total 20ish deaths. I actually don't want to put up high damage numbers because that means the enemy is still fighting, and 1-2 medal (300K damage and 25 kills) isn't worth a 5-6 minute win. In fact, I find it increasingly difficult to even get 25 kills when the enemy never died 25 times before giving up.

Basiaclly you want to demoralize the enemy by doing things like scoring 3 goals in one minute, or killing 5 guys under 30 seconds. After that they'll just hide in their spawn point. Don't worry about dying, especially if you're in Dark Charge you're supposed to die because you're probably the hardest person to kill that is still a threat (other tanks might be harder to kill but not nearly as dangerous). If you died it means they're obviously not hitting the right targets.

I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with damage numbers. I usually top my team's damage with like 150K in a win, because we've crushed the enemy so thoroughly that they stopped fighting after a mere total 20ish deaths. I actually don't want to put up high damage numbers because that means the enemy is still fighting, and 1-2 medal (300K damage and 25 kills) isn't worth a 5-6 minute win. In fact, I find it increasingly difficult to even get 25 kills when the enemy never died 25 times before giving up.

Basiaclly you want to demoralize the enemy by doing things like scoring 3 goals in one minute, or killing 5 guys under 30 seconds. After that they'll just hide in their spawn point. Don't worry about dying, especially if you're in Dark Charge you're supposed to die because you're probably the hardest person to kill that is still a threat (other tanks might be harder to kill but not nearly as dangerous). If you died it means they're obviously not hitting the right targets.

This! Unless we are getting throttled I laugh when I'm targeted because if I have 8-10 deaths they usually have 20-25 because the other dps is ****** them. I usually make babysitting healers my highest priority behind objectives.

Which of the specs are viable to tank with in PvE? I want to experience both without having to respec xD

Tanking is more about what gear you wear as opposed to what spec you have. If you have at least 10 points into Darkness that should be able to cover most of the basics. 4% more shield absorption or 20% more armor isn't going to be the sole reason why you failed to tank on all but the hardest contents (i.e. raids).

Tanking is more about what gear you wear as opposed to what spec you have. If you have at least 10 points into Darkness that should be able to cover most of the basics. 4% more shield absorption or 20% more armor isn't going to be the sole reason why you failed to tank on all but the hardest contents (i.e. raids).

Fair enough to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Isnt this spec 27/14/0 broken now? In game it says: "Thras, volatic slash and assassinate have a 50/100% chance to grant induction while surging charge is active"? Doesn't that take the good part of the talent out? I mean after this change the spec with madness seems alot better Edited by Oceanemotion

Isnt this spec 27/14/0 broken now? In game it says: "Thras, volatic slash and assassinate have a 50/100% chance to grant induction while surging charge is active"? Doesn't that take the good part of the talent out? I mean after this change the spec with madness seems alot better

I'm curious about this as well. 27/14 is my spec of choice and if induction only worked with surging charge the spec would suck.

As of now the description isn't accurate. I have induction and it's working fine with dark charge active. However, this might be a sign of a change to come. That would suck. This change would severely limit assassin hybrid viability.

Isnt this spec 27/14/0 broken now? In game it says: "Thras, volatic slash and assassinate have a 50/100% chance to grant induction while surging charge is active"? Doesn't that take the good part of the talent out? I mean after this change the spec with madness seems alot better

I cant log into the game right now because I am at work. Does it say that now? Is this something coming up in a patch?

I will check it out at lunch. If it is true then I will remove the build. I also need to reformat my whole thing.

I cant log into the game right now because I am at work. Does it say that now? Is this something coming up in a patch?

I will check it out at lunch. If it is true then I will remove the build. I also need to reformat my whole thing.

Yes is does indeed say that but it's not implemented yet. Kind of makes you think that their intention is for that and it wad released in the tool tip early. If so that makes me a sad panda. 27/14 was my fave.

What's with everyone and that 23/0/18 build? It looks good in the talent builder but that build revolves around spamming a 45 force ability which just does not seem very smart or efficient to me. Don't you just run out of force in the first 7 seconds of the fight?

What's with everyone and that 23/0/18 build? It looks good in the talent builder but that build revolves around spamming a 45 force ability which just does not seem very smart or efficient to me. Don't you just run out of force in the first 7 seconds of the fight?

Not sure why you'd stop at 23 when 27 gets you Harnessed Darkness, but Shock should be 39 Force in this build. Once you realize that melee attacks are very hard to actually land in PvP, 39 Force for Shock is not exactly expensive especially if it lets you use Force Lightning. Also, in PvP you will be CCed against your will for a significant portion of the time, so the fact that you can empty your Force bar relatively quick is a plus, so you don't sit on excess Force. Although Shock in some idealized situation where you can always melee isn't good, in most realistic situation it's either Shock or nothing and it's a lot better than nothing.

Not sure why you'd stop at 23 when 27 gets you Harnessed Darkness, but Shock should be 39 Force in this build. Once you realize that melee attacks are very hard to actually land in PvP, 39 Force for Shock is not exactly expensive especially if it lets you use Force Lightning. Also, in PvP you will be CCed against your will for a significant portion of the time, so the fact that you can empty your Force bar relatively quick is a plus, so you don't sit on excess Force. Although Shock in some idealized situation where you can always melee isn't good, in most realistic situation it's either Shock or nothing and it's a lot better than nothing.

Harnessed Darkness is pretty overrated imo. Force Lightning doesn't do much damage for a tank sin using a shield generator (the damage co-efficient is based almost entirely on your +Force Power). For it to do good damage you'd have to be super geared and you'd have to use a focus offhand.