The LFG 'system'..

Lheim

Few people know it, but if you type 'lfg' by itself in the who tab window filter, you can see the entire list of people who are flagged for the system across the server.

Prime time, I've watched that number of people using the LFG flag range from 9 to 18 people. On the whole server.

Why is the system so underutilized?

1. It's on a planet-by-planet basis, or at least people think it is, and how it pops up in game by default is regional. Out of more than a dozen planets, and the fleet, how you bowse the system by default will only allow you to see a fraction of browsers. While you might have heroic quests on other planets you'd love to clean up, or contemplate flashpoints while questing, you're never going to see people looking for those types of things.

2. The interface is awkard. The little check mark might well be being completely missed by many people.

3. The interface requires you to be looking at it, constantly, to have a chance to spot that ellusive LFG-flagged person who wants to do what you want to do. In other words, you can't DO anything while browsing.

Now, I'm really not suggesting a random matching, cross-server, community-wrecking WoW-esque LFG system.. but the system as it is is completely inadequate, and could use improvements. It's as poorly thought out as wow's own pre-dungeon finder systems.

How should we solve it, while keeping LFG server-only, while allowing it to work at least a little in the background, while encouraging use of the system over the ubiquitous /1 spam?

Now, I'm opening this up for discussion, but I'd like to make a little proposal myself - and I sincerely hope Bioware listens. If they don't take my idea, the LFG interface at least has to change in ways to make it more accessible and convenient and complete.

This no better sign that the LFG system doesn't work than that people don't use it.

My suggestions?

It needs to have a top-of-the-screen menu icon, or even an interface tab - below the quest tracker, or as part of the chat panel.

It needs to list everybody using the system. It can't be segregated by area; we're all enormously spread out in game, and never see each other.

Ideally, you ought to be able to specify if you're a tank, healer, or dps, and provide a comment that everybody'll be able to see - and not just the first twelve characters of it, grr.

Ideally, you should even have an option to flag yourself automatically for heroic or flashpoint quests in your log, and have the system pop up with a notification when somebody else is also flagged for those items - invite to group, or whisper them.

You ought to be able to browse the listings while not flagged yourself.

.. seriously, if the game just gave me an easy way to keep a window open with a listing of people flagged for LFG across the entire server, I'd be happy.

A better LFG tool is one of the most urgent things this game needs right now, imo.

I started leveling up as a healer, but respec'd to dps because most of the time I was solo. I always try to use the tool in the game, but it NEVER got me into a group.

Not only this tool is very limited in use, but people tend to ignore it. There should be more incentive to flag yourself as LFG, maybe automatically adding people to LFG when they take a flashpoint/heroic quest. Also, searching for people who need a specific quest should be easier.

Anyway, the fact that I'm ending up playing an MMO mostly solo is really disappointing. A lot of good content is going to waste.