Only 10% of the pre-order got in today.

jackliuu

Base on what I see, the last batch of pre order that got in was in late July 25-28, some few on 30th, base on vgchats end of July there were just under 120k pre orders. So far there is about 1 million pre orders on vgcharts total, that means 120k out of 1 million is about 10% total of people that got in today. And if it didn't even reach July 30, that means about maybe 10% total.

In another words, if future wave's size going to be the same as today's size, it would take 10 days for everyone to get in the game. Unless Bioware SIGNIFICANTLY increase the wave size, things will not look good.

And yes I know vgchart is only about US retail box sale, but the ratio it represents vs the time and EGA is still the same.

There are people already twittering that starter planets were more empty than regular beta, and server performance were more than great, no lag whatsoever, and they have no one to group with.

So what is the grand strategy Bioware?

edit:

I know vgchart don't tell everything, but the ratio it represents should be accurate, unless during July there are massively more people that order the game from Orgin than traditional retailers, which vgchart cannot track.

All am saying, I know Bioware want a smooth launch, but isn't it a bit normal to stress the server just a little bit? Just make it to have enough lag that are manageable, however from the people that got in today, they all said the server were LAG FREE, this is not something to be proud of bioware, this only means you would have handle way more people but for some reason you decide not to.

Edited by jackliuu

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware actually has a post on this, they said the day pre-orders went active there was a huge spike in purchases then it leveled out. They also said the first wave of early access would be a very VERY short time frame and the following days we'll see bigger date ranges.

Keep in mind that VGcharts only tracks in store preorders and not digital copies so the actual percentage could be much higher than you think.

Yeah, rip off much :/

Atleast RIFT kept true to what "Early Access" is supposed to mean and be

What you think early access means and what it actually means are two different things, rift did early access for everyone, ToR is using a staggered early access system. The difference is ToR will avoid allot of the horrendous launch issues the Rift had.

Edited by TheAvengingKnee

Bioware actually has a post on this, they said the day pre-orders went active there was a huge spike in purchases then it leveled out. They also said the first wave of early access would be a very VERY short time frame and the following days we'll see bigger date ranges.

A spike doesnt mean much really. A spike could be 100k preorders in the first 3 days of availability. So, in the course of the whole it is nothing. With the posted chart(which doesnt take into account digital sales), july finished with around 120k preorders. So a spike is that many in 10 days. The following months are 200-300k a month.

So yes, 100k or so happened quickly, but when you are talking 1mil plus numbers, its a drop in the bucket.

if future wave's size going to be the same as today's size, it would take 10 days for everyone to get in the game.

As a November registrant, I'm actually expecting to get in the last day of Early Access. I'm okay with that. Anything sooner is a bonus.

But what I would like is to know the plan. The wait is fine, but it'd be easier (to plan a day off, for one thing) if I knew when I could start. Even a three-day range would be very helpful.

Base on what I see, the last batch of pre order that got in was in late July 25-28, some few on 30th, base on vgchats end of July there were just under 120k pre orders. So far there is about 1 million pre orders on vgcharts total, that means 120k out of 1 million is about 10% total of people that got in today. And if it didn't even reach July 30, that means about maybe 10% total.

In another words, if future wave's size going to be the same as today's size, it would take 10 days for everyone to get in the game. Unless Bioware SIGNIFICANTLY increase the wave size, things will not look good.

And yes I know vgchart is only about US retail box sale, but the ratio it represents vs the time and EGA is still the same.

There are people already twittering that starter planets were more empty than regular beta, and server performance were more than great, no lag whatsoever, and they have no one to group with.

They are increasing invites and servers tomorrow. Soo... looks like everything's proceeding according to their design. :)

The grand strategy is that a executive made a decision about launch.

This executive has never played a mmo. The executive must always do what's "safest" The executive hasnt even actually played a video game in years.

The management under the executive dont' want to get on their bosses bad side so they keep their mouths shut even though they know the player base will be unhappy that servers are low pop while tons of us wait in the wings.

That's the strategy.

This executive has never played a mmo. The executive must always do what's "safest" The executive hasnt even actually played a video game in years.

The management under the executive dont' want to get on their bosses bad side so they keep their mouths shut even though they know the player base will be unhappy that servers are low pop while tons of us wait in the wings.

That's the strategy.

tru dat

BW has already communicated that they will be letting in larger numbers of people on Wed:

"...We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday..."

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=66561#edit66561

That's the strategy.

100% this was a technical decision, not an executive one.

This may not be standard for an MMO, but it is for a solid software development company going live with a product that will support a large user base.

That's the strategy.

Yep... Now the executive needs to be faxed all the complaints in his 30x20 windowed office....

base on vgchats end of July there were just under 120k pre orders. So far there is about 1 million pre orders on vgcharts total, that means 120k out of 1 million is about 10% total of people that got in today. And if it didn't even reach July 30, that means about maybe 10% total.

Rockjaw has already stated that those numbers were LOL. They were a rough snap shot of RETAIL sales. Not digital copies, the VAST majority of pre-orders.

Edited by ThreeToedSloth

Better not be some 30ths in there, that means they skipped me.

The angry kids posting.......

First World Problems!!!!!

Well yeah, I agree. It pales in comparison to other problems in the world.

But the thing is, this is a star wars forum, this is not about hunger in africa or unemployment in america. This is about star wars and computar gajmez and nothing else..

In a hundred years when (hopefully) africa and other developing nations have reached as much of a middle class as "we" have, they will also whine about game releases being delayed or servers being limited. You can count on that.

We are all human and we whine on whatever is our problem of the day. If we have ready access to food every day of the week, we will not whine about that, we'll whine about something more trivial instead. Isn't that quite obvious and understandable?

What was the stress test for, then?

Going live with a large user base is WAY more complicated than just server stress. I don't think people realize just how huge an undertaking this is and how much can go wrong.

For example, let's say there was a bug that allowed people to level up too quickly if exploited. With a smaller base getting started out, they can limit the effect of this more than if they dump 2 million people into the game at once. By the time the majority of people get in the game, that bug won't exist.

And that's just one example. Whether its defects not caught in QA or beta testing, unique situations due to the usage being different on launch day as opposed to beta (everyone starting at level 1 in the same zone for example), or some completely off the wall issues no one could have anticipated it's impossible to completely test and know what's going to happen when you go live with a project this size. I was on a project where we were dealing with hundreds of users (not thousands) and it was only by doing staged delivery that we were able to ensure a smooth user experience for everyone involved.

For my money, the way Bioware is approaching this is like a polished, well-oiled software development shop that knows how to deliver quality, and that makes me confident in their product for a long time to come.

people remember thisplease....this staggered early access if for the benifit of those who pre ordered early its not just about stress testing ....its about giving some people a head start and charging them for it. they did this for us. stop the complaining and be happy they are ahead of schedule for OUR EGA