Players BANNED for going to Ilum? Suggestions to Customer Service

Blackk

It's BS

That e-mail is all sorts of shopped wrongness

The subject heading for an account warning would not be "An important announcement regarding your SW:TOR account"

It would more likely be "Your SW:TOR account has been suspended" or " important information regarding your SW:TOR account".

Using the word "announcement" implies that it is information that will be told to everyone which it wouldn't be, account admin's are usually very careful about their wording of e-mails to avoid confusion or anything implied.

You would think so! But that's the actual email that was received.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The context of exploit is not the topic of the discussion.

Players were operating inside the bounds of the game.

According to the GM email, players have been banned (temporarily or otherwise) for harvesting nodes in a level 50 pvp zone.

There were no game broadcasts, verbal warnings from GMs, MOTDs, or anything stating that this was a problem (certainly, not all of us read the forums. I prefer to spend my time playing the game instead of reading about it)

My goal is to set expectations on what players expect for customer service. Personally, if I was doing something wrong without knowledge of it, I would like a verbal acknowledgement before I was banned from the game. I'm certain that almost everyone would have.

This thread is to look at the events of these bans (and for those of you that post it's unbelievable that they would do such a thing, that's fine! I find it unbelievable too. That's why I CREATED this topic! It's ridiculous!) And create awareness to the problem, and suggest solutions.

The context is absolutely the topic of this discussion. Players must know what happened or we're left to just taking your word on the situation. After reading more into this and discovering exactly what you were doing, I disagree with your assessment of whether you were playing within the bounds of the game.

Which changes my thoughts (and hopefully other players )on this topic dramatically.

The context of exploit is not the topic of the discussion.

Players were operating inside the bounds of the game.

According to the GM email, players have been banned (temporarily or otherwise) for harvesting nodes in a level 50 pvp zone.

There were no game broadcasts, verbal warnings from GMs, MOTDs, or anything stating that this was a problem (certainly, not all of us read the forums. I prefer to spend my time playing the game instead of reading about it)

My goal is to set expectations on what players expect for customer service. Personally, if I was doing something wrong without knowledge of it, I would like a verbal acknowledgement before I was banned from the game. I'm certain that almost everyone would have.

This thread is to look at the events of these bans (and for those of you that post it's unbelievable that they would do such a thing, that's fine! I find it unbelievable too. That's why I CREATED this topic! It's ridiculous!) And create awareness to the problem, and suggest solutions.

Wrong. It says this is CLEARLY broadcast in the game. Ignorance of a rule is no excuse for violating it. Too bad when they ban accts it doesnt stop the person from posting. Of course Bioware cannot come defend itself so you only get one slanted side. If you were banned you were banned for a reason.

They got banned because they exploited the obvious intention of the game. Because a specific rule does not exist preventing a very specific action does not make it right, OK or not ban worthy. People who argue semantics like this are usually those always trying to take short cuts and cheat a system for their own selfish advantage. I've seen this same style argument dozens of times all the way back to 1998 in UO.

It seems little changes except screen names.

No, they got banned for having the desire to explore and add a little challenge to break the absolute monotony of the game for themselves, instead of being sheep just following the little treadmill from point A to point B.

Wrong. It says this is CLEARLY broadcast in the game. Ignorance of a rule is no excuse for violating it. Too bad when they ban accts it doesnt stop the person from posting. Of course Bioware cannot come defend itself so you only get one slanted side. If you were banned you were banned for a reason.

Wanna show me where in the EULA or ToS it says you can't open a level 50 chest or harvest a node in a level 50 area at level 1? I'll wait while you look it up.

Edited by Zorvan

They got banned because they exploited the obvious intention of the game. Because a specific rule does not exist preventing a very specific action does not make it right, OK or not ban worthy. People who argue semantics like this are usually those always trying to take short cuts and cheat a system for their own selfish advantage. I've seen this same style argument dozens of times all the way back to 1998 in UO.

It seems little changes except screen names.

"obvious intention of the game"

That's exactly hitting the nail on the head. If they had "obvious intention", the areas would have been level locked, and trade skills capped.

No locks = no intentions = free to explore = nothing to "exploit".

Just so you are aware, I'm not banned. I didn't do it. I'm not a slicer.

As far as the discussions on here, it's taken wild accusations about flipping capture points, cooperation with imperials, amongst other things.

It's mind blowing to me that people will not believe the screenshots, but will believe the verbal accusation that these players MAY have been doing these other things.

As the email provided states, my friend was purely banned for going to ilum and harvesting. Any other events would have been put into the email. I'm not here to defend my friend. I'm posting because I'm dis-satisfied by how it's being handled.

[Edited for bad grammar.]

Edited by Blackk

Wanna show me where in the EULA or ToS it says you can't open a level 50 chest or harvest a node in a level 50 area at level 1? I'll wait while you look it up.

It says in the email it was CLEARLY communicated to you in the game. So it doesnt have to be in the EULA or the TOS other than the parts covering exploits.

after seeing the vid of the exploiting going on in ilium id say theres more here than meets the eye and that scrrenshot email is nothing but a wall of text, proper screenshot of email backing your claim would be much better. its pretty east to reduct out the personal info and so on.

it say kudo's to bioware for the banning as well as anyone else that got one, theres no reason anybody below level 40 should be there, except in suspect circumstances

Just so you are aware, I'm not banned. I didn't do it. I'm not a slicer.

As far as the discussions on here, it's taken wild accusations about flipping capture points, cooperation with imperials, amongst other things.

It's mind blowing to me that people will not believe the screenshots, but will believe the verbal accusation that these players MAY have been doing these other things.

As the email provided states, my friend was purely banned for going to ilum and harvesting. Any other events would have been put into the email. I'm not here to defend my friend. I'm posting because I'm dis-satisfied by how it's being handled.

[Edited for bad grammar.]

Let me ask you a few questions.

1. Were you there?

2. Are you taking your friends word on exactly what happened?

3. If you were there, did you lose visual contact with your friend at any time before he left the planet?

4. How do you know for sure your friend is 100% innocent and did not do anything wrong at some point?

after seeing the vid of the exploiting going on in ilium id say theres more here than meets the eye and that scrrenshot email is nothing but a wall of text, proper screenshot of email backing your claim would be much better. its pretty east to reduct out the personal info and so on.

it say kudo's to bioware for the banning as well as anyone else that got one, theres no reason anybody below level 40 should be there, except in suspect circumstances

http://i.imgur.com/tXd8N.jpg

This is the link at the bottom of the copy/pasted email.

http://i.imgur.com/tXd8N.jpg

This is the link at the bottom of the copy/pasted email.

Im sorry, but when a company emails someone, whether it be Blizzard or Bioware, they have the general layout and colors of their website.

This looks like a fake email made by you to continue trolling or trying to prove he was NOT in the wrong.

Edited by darthdoll

It says in the email it was CLEARLY communicated to you in the game. So it doesnt have to be in the EULA or the TOS other than the parts covering exploits.

You cannot break a "rule" that does not exist. If EAware is going to allow GM's to arbitrarily make up "rules" as they see fit, then there's no point in even bothering with the game.

"obvious intention of the game"

That's exactly hitting the nail on the head. If they had "obvious intention", the areas would have been level locked, and trade skills capped.

No locks = no intentions = free to explore = nothing to "exploit".

Strawman.

He didn't get banned for exploring. He apparently got banned for rolling an alt or teaming up with friends that were on other faction toons and kept looting a high level loot box.

Why argue a point no one is debating unless it's a smoke screen?

Let me ask you a few questions.

1. Were you there?

2. Are you taking your friends word on exactly what happened?

3. If you were there, did you lose visual contact with your friend at any time before he left the planet?

4. How do you know for sure your friend is 100% innocent and did not do anything wrong at some point?

1) I was not there.

2) I'm not taking just his word on it, I'm taking the GM's word. He posted the screenshot.

3) I was not there.

4) Whatever his bannable offense is, it would have been mentioned in the email at the time of the ban in the customer support email. It doesn't matter what my friend states occured, but what the GM stated was done wrong. If he was doing capture base flipping, or pvp point farming, whatever it was: It would have been made mention in the screenshot.

Im sorry, but when a company emails someone, whether it be Blizzard or Bioware, they have the general layout and colors of their website.

This looks like a fake email made by you to continue trolling or trying to prove he was NOT in the wrong.

********. I just got an e-mail from the company giving me a warning for a previous post. There are no layoutss or graphics, pure friggin text.

Strawman.

He didn't get banned for exploring. He apparently got banned for rolling an alt or teaming up with friends that were on other faction toons and kept looting a high level loot box.

Why argue a point no one is debating unless it's a smoke screen?

If that was what he was doing, then yes he should be banned.

********. I just got an e-mail from the company giving me a warning for a previous post. There are no layoutss or graphics, pure friggin text.

Really? because when I get ANY email from Bioware I get a layout. I have had warnings before and I got a layout.

If this is true, then whoever made the decision to ban people over it needs to be fired immediately, and in a very public manner.

It's like being a special forces operative behind enemy lines -- if you are caught, you are disavowed by your own government. Unless you are banning people who are hacking and/or gold selling, then pick a scapegoat and point the finger, Bioware.

I agree I mean are they hiring more Stanley Woo? They need to fire staff members like that and also fire the guy who said it would be a good buisness decison to make an unlocked area a bannable offense....

Seriously though they need to lock it if they dont want anyone to go. WoW had areas were you had to exploit to go to but sometimes people would glitch and find themselves by the world tree for example.

Blizzard never would ban these people unless they kept using exploits but seriously Bioware needs to lay off the Stanley Woo like team members

It's pretty easy to fake a screenshot of an email...mind-numbingly simple in fact. But let's pretend that the email is real for a moment. Even if it is, the player was not banned for simply "going to Ilum" as claimed in the subject header. So right up front there's a clear intent to deceive going on.

Really? because when I get ANY email from Bioware I get a layout. I have had warnings before and I got a layout.

I've seen a screenshot with a background involving the forums community posting declaring it closed and hidden, but that was mostly the default background of the forum and post, not a customer service specific graphic.