DataCrons, Jumping and Platforming...why its terrible...

Lokai

I hate jumping puzzles, (I've hated platformers since Mario was an arcade-only game in the early 80s) but it's not like the whole game is about them. They're an entertaining break from the usual MMO stuff.

And really, they're not that tough. Play Psychonauts or something for comparison.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking as someone from your age bracket, I love the nod to old school platformer games. The datacrons are optional, and some of them are there to test your skill. If you can't get the datacron, how are you supposed to move out of the bad aoe fast enough?

Let's just say some of us have actual, physical reasons that make it (at best) unlikely and usually impossible.

Beyond this, if/when "fast enough" is on the low end of the neuronal reflex curve, it's not "skill", it's poor design.

Optional content restriction based upon self-selected sociability is one thing, based upon physiological capability, frankly, is exclusionary.

Really?, 20-30+Stats to Alll stats isnt something every single person playing the game will Need, let alone Want?

Whether Solo/PvE/PvP, those are Stats that help everyone.

Well if they made it so all you had to do is walk up to them and click them then why not just give them to you as base stats.

Basically its OMG I cant do something in the game so it is terrible and bad design and must be fixed, even though other people can do it. But they are just elitist that have super computers and play 24 hours a day. Thats the only reason anyone can get them and I should be able to get them also because I pay a sub also.

If you cant jump on a platform to get them then you dont deserve them. End of story. They are a reward for pressing spacebar correctly and since you fail at that you dont deserve them.

The way they did the ones on Alderaan are an example of a reasonable way to do it.

One has a single tricky jump, and if you fail it's 2-3 mins to try again.

The others are simply a bit out of the way and require some travel time, working your way through elite mobs, and in one case some reasonably easy jumping unless you wanted to spend the money to make it easier.

Jumping is bugged in some places on some characters. This isn't about whether jumping is good or fun or belongs in the game or is worth the effort.

I have three level 25 characters. Each has a different race, body type, etc.

I have obtained all of the datacrons on Tython, Ord Mantell, Coruscant, and Taris on all my characters--except for one datacron on one character. That character, when positioned in exactly the same place as the other two does not jump like the other two. In fact, she does not jump at all.

It’s as if, when I hit spacebar and forward, the surface simply ceases to exist and she falls through the “ground.” The other characters jump without any problem in that same spot.

I am convinced that the physics/character models/object meshes, etc. are broken for some body types. I have experimented with this repeatedly on each of these characters and can reproduce the problem reliably.

I’m a software engineer and, although I do not claim any expertise in 3D simulations, I know how to do QA. Something is broken here.

• 3 months later...
I run to the edge. I push space bar. I stutter step and fall off the edge of the platform.

Necro and I don't care. This post encapsulates the whole problem with the jumping. It would have been better for datacrons to be obtained by more of a mixture of ways that required a variety of skills, or minigames; however, a bit of platforming now and then is fine, and it certainly is a good feeling to get something that's taken you a few tries to get (just got my +3 Cunning in Anchorhead); but there's just something odd about the way you jump in the game - it's non-intuitive somehow.

I think it's something to do with animations related to what happens when you land on things. There are quite a few neat little animations like that, for example if you double jump with the second jump being onto a lower level, it looks very cool and natural. Maybe something is cueing up these extra anims depending on mis-timings due to tiny bits of lag? Dunno, but it would be nice to have it looked into.

Something about the way the jumping in SWTOR works means you get the "bumping your head on an invisible ledge" effect, or the way it's described above (I think theses are possibly the same "thing").

Personally, if they wanted realistic jumping with good animation, they should have done it so if you hold your spacebar down, you "wind up" (knees bend) and then leap on release of spacebar; otherwise it's a tap or double-tap to jump and how far you jump depends on "momentum" (i.e. how fast you're moving beforehand). That would be intuitive.

But something about the way it's implemented in SWTOR is neither fish nor fowl.