APAC players shot themselves in the foot

Posted (edited)

By fronting so many demands to the devs that the Shae Vizla server be this and that and that and that rather than just let the normal ebb and flow happen, all in the name of protecting a fragile economy, the server is now dead. Tried to do the "Drop in Coruscant" seasons objective just now but no one's publicly listed their CS stronghold (much less many others).  Dead.

Had the APAC players left well enough alone and dealt with the inflation, the server would be populated by now.

Edit: I"ve now listed my Coruscant and NS strongholds on Shae Vizla so at least other people can complete the objectives.

Edited by xordevoreaux

8 minutes ago, xordevoreaux said:

Had the APAC players left well enough alone and dealt with the inflation, the server would be populated by now.

I feel like this is ignoring a very big piece of context about the initial population on Shae Vizla. When Shae Vizla launched, it wasn't just an APAC server. Ostensibly it should have been, but it wasn't, it was also a fresh start server, and a lot of non-APAC players especially used it for that purpose. That bumped up the "But think of the economy!" complaints, because those kinds of players were there for the fresh start experience instead of being there for a normal server, so naturally they would be opposed to transfers of any kind, because that would kill the fresh start experience.

With that in mind, blaming APAC players generally for those complaints feels pretty unfair to me. There were plenty of APAC players wanting unrestricted transfers that would have "ruined the economy" because their goal was a server in their region that was treated the same as all other servers that could be their new "main server". Broadsword trying to cater to both of those philosophies simultaneously is where the real shot in the foot happened, by straddling the line instead of picking one to focus their efforts on, they ended up pleasing neither side and killed the server. I don't see the point in blaming the players for Broadsword trying to have their cake and eat it too.

A fresh start server isn't the worst idea in the world, but it only works if transfers are never allowed. That couldn't happen on a server meant to be a proper regional server like Shae Vizla, so Broadsword should have never tried to make it a thing. The failure in messaging their attempt to make it a thing caused is almost impressive. Right before the devs took their usual Christmas break, Keith dropped the hint that they may not allow transfers to SV at all. Then when they finally did allow transfers, the free transfers for subscribers ended up being backdated to people who were subscribed on a date before they confirmed transfers would be a thing. Think of that for a second. They tell people "Yeah, we may not allow transfers to this server period." and leave for 3 weeks, come back and finally confirm transfers, and then a few weeks later say "Okay, now if you weren't subscribed during that period where we let you believe we may not do transfers at all, you gotta pay for the privilege now too." And they expected APAC players to feel happy about that? With restrictions on the transfers to boot?

Genuinely, recapping this for myself is blowing my mind all over again, this series of events is so silly it's hard to believe they actually did this. This isn't on players, not APAC or the fresh start people. This is on Broadsword for not picking a side and sticking to it, and everybody lost as a result. I'm sure they will never own up to that either, it'll be a mystery to them why Shae Vizla failed, but we can all go back and see those posts and understand what they did.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The deed is done, and the server is dead.  If Broadsword ever, ever, opens up a new server, and I'm not here to argue the likelihood of that, Broadsword should ignore ALL special interest groups, launch the server, follow their own stated rules about normal servers, 90 days after opening, all that, and let the normal ebb and flow of player activity take its course however it goes.

Edit: I've also posted this suggestion for satisfying seasons "drop in" objectives on low-pop servers.

Edited by xordevoreaux

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I went there for the "fresh start".  I had a few 80s, was working on my 340+ set for theoretical pvp.  I stopped logging in after merges were announced.  pvp qs were dead. 

I just logged in for the first time in many months to take a head count on Republic Fleet... never mind Fleet there were 68 players total on Rep side.  Server is completely dead. 

It never ceases to amaze me how many companies that manage MMOs for a long time never seem to understand what makes them work.  AC2, EQ2 and Vanguard, Champions, etc. there are lots of companies that just got lucky the first time.  EA had lots of chances to learn with WAR and DAOC, they even repeated several of WAR's mistakes in SWTOR.  But even now BS doesn't seem to understand what keeps us hooked (it's the people!  single player games die, even the best ones).  They didn't have the population, they never should have opened another server unless it was going to be new rules or a real fresh start.

Edited by Savej
Grammar fix

The initial problem with the Server was the " Fresh start" people, Broadsword delayed important concerns of already established players/ raiders/ PVPs, delay transfers (population dies), restrict credits on transfers but still charging full CC price (population dies). Broadsword tried to accommodate to wrong crowd being small and unestablished bunch of returning players who for the most part have gone and now the server pays for it. Most established players (who still play and Pay) went back to the US servers effectively killing Shae Viz. I'm part of two very active guilds on the server and will say Broadsword ignoring the needs and wants of the established players has now had it's effect. 

@JackieCao 

@KeithKanneg

@EricMusco

@JoeStramaglia

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.