Who feels better about SWTOR's future now that we've heard from Broadsword's president?

Char_Ell

The live stream is going to be a make or break for a lot of people. A good portion of the community has been fed up with the lack luster updates, and bad expansions. That letter from them and the president of Broadsword means nothing. It's dry words, I legit have little to no faith in them.

The communication from them to us had been horrible for years. They've proven from time and time again that they don't listen, and would rather ban people in the live steams then communicate to us. The current state of the game and the bad player count is the making from the current dev team that came over.

I've been proven wrong before and honestly in this case I'm really hoping I am in regards to the game having "new life"

Or this is going to be one short trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CadeStive said:

The live stream is going to be a make or break for a lot of people. A good portion of the community has been fed up with the lack luster updates, and bad expansions. That letter from them and the president of Broadsword means nothing. It's dry words, I legit have little to no faith in them.

The communication from them to us had been horrible for years. They've proven from time and time again that they don't listen, and would rather ban people in the live steams then communicate to us. The current state of the game and the bad player count is the making from the current dev team that came over.

I've been proven wrong before and honestly in this case I'm really hoping I am in regards to the game having "new life"

Or this is going to be one short trip.

It's already at the breaking point for me, canceled the sub a little bit ago, heading back over to ESO to check out the new expansion and new class. I do hope this livestream offers something worthwhile and not more PR nonsense. This game still has a lot to offer, especially new players, but for vets, not a lot. This is a tough time of year for anything to be released, but if something isn't mentioned regarding next year, then yeah, I can see more people exiting. We'll see what happens, hopefully something positive comes out of it. 

Edited by Pirana
  • Like 3

On 10/12/2023 at 2:55 PM, Char_Ell said:

I feel compelled to reiterate what I said in my OP.  I think getting an introduction from Broadsword's president only happened because some people on these forums said they wanted to hear from someone from Broadsword leadership higher than Keith.  I think this does not align with your view that the developers consistently ignore what the players wish for.  Just because the developers are unable to fulfill every player's wish doesn't mean they ignore everything that players wish for.  I think players that try to be fair-minded recognize that.

We asked for a statement after it was announced... how long ago?  And they a JUST NOW????? saying something?

On 10/13/2023 at 12:33 AM, Pirana said:

T People here need to understand something, this transition over to Broadsword wasn't an upgrade, quite the opposite, but hey, if some of you want to believe the PR that Keith, if I remember right mentions, that this move was made due to Bioware allocating their resources elsewhere, then by all means, believe it.

A.... MEN!

• Like 1

We will see with time. I have good hopes but I would like to see more voices acting, new customizations, new races, new strongholds and what comes next in the story before saying: it's all good, keep the good work. We will see what happens in the next stream on Twitch, maybe we will have more ideas about what will be the future of swtor.

No company would outright say that they have nothing to offer their customer. That's literal business suicide. History has shown that this game can get away with minimal effort(of course it requires work, effort, time, resources, money but for conversations sake it's minimal compared to other games). Plain and simple, they have been refurbishing content since the beginning. It's swtor's model to reroll a toon. They emphasize having multiple alts. Every year we've had old become the "new" new. Legendary status, DvL, Conquest, Seasons etc. Players, I hope, are aware of this "system" we partake in. This is what works for swtor and the company knows this. Why would they change it if they are getting away with it? Players willingly pay for a subscription they know only has spurts of content. Players also willingly spend real life money on cartel items. Make no mistake about it, whether we do it deliberately or not, we are set up to be consumers. They are not your friends. They have one goal and that is to take your money. Knowing these conditions, you choose to be duped. Ignorant bliss, you tell me?

1 hour ago, meddani said:

don't know if this was mentioned in here (didn't read all  the replies) but 7.4 was still developed under bioware, everything after that is broadswords doing. just putting it out here lol

This is incorrect and has nothing to do with the thread topic.  SWTOR devs transitioned employment from EA/BioWare to Broadsword at the end of June when the studio transition was officially announced.  To think that 7.4 was already developed and just sitting around waiting for release since before the end of June flies in the face of reason.

1 hour ago, Char_Ell said:

To think that 7.4 was already developed and just sitting around waiting for release since before the end of June flies in the face of reason.

They did say so somewhere however, if I remember correctly. There was definitely some work left do to, but story and voice-acting was definitely finished before the move to Broadsword. 7.4 was planned and started development under Bioware. Everything after 7.4 will be purely Broadsword.

On 10/14/2023 at 5:37 PM, Pirana said:

It's already at the breaking point for me, canceled the sub a little bit ago, heading back over to ESO to check out the new expansion and new class. I do hope this livestream offers something worthwhile and not more PR nonsense. This game still has a lot to offer, especially new players, but for vets, not a lot. This is a tough time of year for anything to be released, but if something isn't mentioned regarding next year, then yeah, I can see more people exiting. We'll see what happens, hopefully something positive comes out of it. 

at this point i highly agree if they dont bring something out by dec. that can keep players entertained new story content or something to prove whats coming in the future. this is it. i feel alot of players will leave soon and wont come back and thats a bad look for the devs, the team itself. wasted potential on a game that had something. 

1 hour ago, TrueJediLord said:

at this point i highly agree if they dont bring something out by dec. that can keep players entertained new story content or something to prove whats coming in the future. this is it. i feel alot of players will leave soon and wont come back and thats a bad look for the devs, the team itself. wasted potential on a game that had something. 

Even if it's just the storyline, which I can see being their main focus, it's still better than nothing, but it does little for end game raiders, GSF and PvP. People will undoubtedly leave if something major isn't announced. I saw no reason to continue playing the same content over and over and over and over again, which has been their mantra for years now. I came back a few months ago to check out the new gearing system, figured it out and got bored again. I hope others along with myself are proven 100% wrong on our assumption when it comes to the future of this game, we shall see.

Too many people to quote in this thread, but I agree that while the post was welcome, it didn't say much other than, 'Hello' and 'We're excited. Speak Soon,' so wait-and-see is still the best policy. I also agree a lot is riding on what they announce and *how* they tackle the live stream.

Like most people, I would love to hear a clear positive message that the future of SWTOR is packed with new content, updates to systems, much-needed bug fixing etc etc. Personally, I think the game has legs in it yet, and if you take Lotro as an example, there is obviously mileage and money in nuturing an mmo without a huge player base.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes with money, business projection and expectation, licensing complications, man-power, internal politics etc etc to affect whether an mmo is worth growing? I thought Lotro was about to die a graceful beautiful death but SSG seem to think otherwise, and hurrah for that!

What bothers me though, is how guarded their language is. That's not a criticism, perhaps they can't say more because they simply don't know themselves. Saying they are excited about the future could mean anything from, 'We're going to squash all the bugs and make the game look nice but nothing else' to 'We've got 10 expansions planned for the next 10 years'. The launcher blurb just says they are going to talk about 7.4, nothing about the future.

I don't think we're going to get the clarification people really want. I think they will sound very positive but will actually be extremely cautious with their info. I think we'll be left with as many questions about the future as we have now. I would like them to be HONEST about where the game stands but if they don't know either, perhaps because a lot depends on how the game does in the next year (or whatever), then they'll have to keep it vague. Not very thrilling though.

Confess I was extremely disappointed and burned by the terrible 10th Anniversary stuff, with the following LotS 'expansion' debacle. I was so excited for it, and left the game again because frankly, I was sad. I don't think I was alone. From here on, I hope they handle expectations in a better way.

I *really* hope they have great news, with expansions galore, pvp reinvigoration, strongholds on every planet, new fully-voiced companion storylines (Look at BG3!! Look Broadsword!! *points*) and Non-Clipping Space Barbie for everyone. I don't think we'll get all these things.

I'd love to be cautiously optimistic, but in reality, I think we'll get a bit of good news, some smoke blown up our bums, and we'll be left with a continuing feeling of Wait-And-See.

Edited by Jazulfi
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

This is incorrect and has nothing to do with the thread topic.  SWTOR devs transitioned employment from EA/BioWare to Broadsword at the end of June when the studio transition was officially announced.  To think that 7.4 was already developed and just sitting around waiting for release since before the end of June flies in the face of reason.

The transition may have already happened however everything in 7.4 was already planned for from BW. So 7.4 has nothing directly to do with being new from Broadsword. If we want to know what Broadsword is going to have in store for us, we'll have to wait until whatever patch comes after 7.4.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Toraak said:

The transition may have already happened however everything in 7.4 was already planned for from BW. So 7.4 has nothing directly to do with being new from Broadsword. If we want to know what Broadsword is going to have in store for us, we'll have to wait until whatever patch comes after 7.4.

Exactly this.

BS has already set their tone taking months to even make an Intro post of no substance.

We shall see how "live" the stream actually is tomorrow and its quality of content will tell all.

5 hours ago, Jazulfi said:

Too many people to quote in this thread, but I agree that while the post was welcome, it didn't say much other than, 'Hello' and 'We're excited. Speak Soon,' so wait-and-see is still the best policy. I also agree a lot is riding on what they announce and *how* they tackle the live stream.

Like most people, I would love to hear a clear positive message that the future of SWTOR is packed with new content, updates to systems, much-needed bug fixing etc etc. Personally, I think the game has legs in it yet, and if you take Lotro as an example, there is obviously mileage and money in nuturing an mmo without a huge player base.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes with money, business projection and expectation, licensing complications, man-power, internal politics etc etc to affect whether an mmo is worth growing? I thought Lotro was about to die a graceful beautiful death but SSG seem to think otherwise, and hurrah for that!

What bothers me though, is how guarded their language is. That's not a criticism, perhaps they can't say more because they simply don't know themselves. Saying they are excited about the future could mean anything from, 'We're going to squash all the bugs and make the game look nice but nothing else' to 'We've got 10 expansions planned for the next 10 years'. The launcher blurb just says they are going to talk about 7.4, nothing about the future.

I don't think we're going to get the clarification people really want. I think they will sound very positive but will actually be extremely cautious with their info. I think we'll be left with as many questions about the future as we have now. I would like them to be HONEST about where the game stands but if they don't know either, perhaps because a lot depends on how the game does in the next year (or whatever), then they'll have to keep it vague. Not very thrilling though.

Confess I was extremely disappointed and burned by the terrible 10th Anniversary stuff, with the following LotS 'expansion' debacle. I was so excited for it, and left the game again because frankly, I was sad. I don't think I was alone. From here on, I hope they handle expectations in a better way.

I *really* hope they have great news, with expansions galore, pvp reinvigoration, strongholds on every planet, new fully-voiced companion storylines (Look at BG3!! Look Broadsword!! *points*) and Non-Clipping Space Barbie for everyone. I don't think we'll get all these things.

I'd love to be cautiously optimistic, but in reality, I think we'll get a bit of good news, some smoke blown up our bums, and we'll be left with a continuing feeling of Wait-And-See.

Many of us would prefer to see a more positive response from the team that would generate a more clearcut and positive directive for SWTOR.  The "wait and see" aspect of the game has been prevalent for some time now.  And I would suppose that if most of us were seeing that for the first time it might be appropriate to feel that way even today.

That being said: That "wait and see" has been stretched beyond a legitimate expectation.  It's now to the point that many things that really are genuinely needed are in a state of disrepair.  Hope has gradually faded into a distant memory.   Excitement has been replaced with doubt and in (some cases) repulsive disgust.  

It is becoming more and more difficult to see a brighter future.  I for one, wish this were not the case.  I would personally welcome the opportunity to be proven wrong and see SWTOR suddenly come to life with growth and activity once again.  Unfortunately, the last 18 months (give or take) tends to support a lesser optimistic point of view.

Edited by OlBuzzard
clarification
  • Like 2

What is it with Star Wars MMOs? First SWG now Swtor. I just don't get it. They're given the golden goose that poos golden eggs and they still mess it up. I mean jeez, you'd think Disney/EA/Bioware/Broadsword would learn something from SOE's mistakes? Those who don't follow history are bound to repeat it. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TonyTricicolo said:

What is it with Star Wars MMOs? First SWG now Swtor. I just don't get it. They're given the golden goose that poos golden eggs and they still mess it up. I mean jeez, you'd think Disney/EA/Bioware/Broadsword would learn something from SOE's mistakes? Those who don't follow history are bound to repeat it. 

i think there not know how to make and run a good MMO game at all in the first place.

if you look is good to this game its running on a beta version from the hero engine so that tells all something is wrong since its not the compleet version when any other MMO game use a compleet game engine.

the lack of study from other MMO game's first from why are there doing good and what are there using for exemple like a good compleet game enige and how to comunicate with your communety, how to make things fun for max level players and go on with it.

21 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

"7.4 was already in dev. at bioware"

"what do you mean it's already done since june and they're just waiting?!"

can't with some of you guys lol

19 hours ago, Whykara said:

They did say so somewhere however, if I remember correctly. There was definitely some work left do to, but story and voice-acting was definitely finished before the move to Broadsword. 7.4 was planned and started development under Bioware. Everything after 7.4 will be purely Broadsword.

2 hours ago, Toraak said:

this.

35 minutes ago, Spikanor said:

i think there not know how to make and run a good MMO game at all in the first place.

if you look is good to this game its running on a beta version from the hero engine so that tells all something is wrong since its not the compleet version when any other MMO game use a compleet game engine.

the lack of study from other MMO game's first from why are there doing good and what are there using for exemple like a good compleet game enige and how to comunicate with your communety, how to make things fun for max level players and go on with it.

I totally disagree!  IMO they know HOW to build the game!  What happened with the release of 7.0 and the abandoning of the 10th anniversary celebration in favor of what we actually got seemed to be more like an act of defiance (kind of an "in your face" attitude) towards the majority of the community/ player base.

Frankly it reminded me of what happened to the last trilogy in the Star Wars saga.  Someone took one of the most successful stories (franchises) in the history of film making and nearly destroyed it!  It will take nothing short of a carefully planned / orchestrated and masterful effort to fix the mess that was left behind!

Back on topic:  That same attitude seems to now be prevalent in this game.   Unfortunately, there is not nearly the following in SWTOR left behind to recover and hold on much longer.  What's done is done!  The fact that things are what they are cannot be changed.  History cannot be altered.  Either someone will understand this simple fact and change course and avoid disaster OR things will remain status quo ... and (unfortunately) the final chapter will be written.

• Like 1

Just now, OlBuzzard said:

Frankly it reminded me of what happened to the last trilogy in the Star Wars saga.  Someone took one of the most successful stories (franchises) in the history of film making and nearly destroyed it!  It will take nothing short of a carefully planned / orchestrated and masterful effort to fix the mess that was left behind!

SWTOR is doing a better job recovering from the 7.0 debacle with 7.1, 7.2 and even 7.3 than Disney is doing after the sequels. Disney Star Wars is a burning trash pile, with the latest shows only adding to the toxic fire, while SWTOR at least somehow fixed the missteps of 7.0. 

1 minute ago, OlBuzzard said:

As for SWTOR ...  What we are seeing unfold almost reminds me of what Obi-wan said:
"As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced! "

I wish I were wrong.  But somehow ... I just don't think I am!  I've seen this sort of thing unfold all too often .. and always with the same results  (NOT GOOD) !

Funny... I used the Obi-wan quote to describe the release of the NGE in SWG :)

As for the topic... I'm in the wait and see camp, most likely I'll decide after the livestream.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

I totally disagree!  IMO they know HOW to build the game!  What happened with the release of 7.0 and the abandoning of the 10th anniversary celebration in favor of what we actually got seemed to be more like an act of defiance (kind of an "in your face" attitude) towards the majority of the community/ player base.

its not about the how to build a game its all about how to run a game good.

look is at other MMO game's that still run after 10+ years and still have a good playerbase then you see also that game's like that do things much better then you see here.

there have a good basic contant flow since there have a lot of people work on it.

there invest each time money in the game to let it grow and not only keep it for there self and not invest back.

same with the problems you can get like bug's or other type problems you need to fix have people for it to do it.

its also about the cominication and how you threat your playerbase.

this are some things how to run a MMORPG game good what this game lacks.

the 7.0 mess and the 10th anniversary has show us all how worse things are and what this game lacks what other MMO game's not have that much.

all this points i have point out from lack of contant flow to lack of comunication to the playerbase shows what is more wrong why this game is doing bad more for years.

we both also know that a budget system for a MMORPG game is also not working at all but still it has this system.

all the other MMO game's do not run with a budget system there work with a system that if the player buy's CC or sub the money go's to the team and there need to work from it and invest it back to the game to make it better.

59 minutes ago, sharpenedstick said:

The issue is that MMO devs have a very special sort of arrogance that makes them produce the game they want to make, not the game the players want to play. There is a general belief among MMO devs that players don't know what they want, and even when they do, it's stupid.

This is why dev teams are obsessed with their own pet projects, why dev team turnover results in massive conceptual changes to core mechanics like gearing with little to no testing (and which get changed by the next turnover), and why bug fix and QoL improvements just don't motivate them.

For SWTOR, it's obvious the devs don't play the game, because there are long standing bugs and QoL issues, some going all the way back to launch, that anyone who played the game and had the ability to fix would fix.

Biosword's decision to retain the same time serving failures who brought the game to its current state do not inspire confidence. We'll have to see if it really was EA holding them back, but let's say I doubt it.

Nailed it.

I've mentioned this before and probably somewhere in this thread. Just because someone knows how to develop a game, doesn't always translate to them knowing what gamers want, this has been one of the biggest issues with this game from very early on, they rarely listen to the feedback of the players. This is their game and they can design it how they want, no different than how we choose to spend our money. Games such as WoW, GW2, ESO, FF14 just to name a few listen to their players and not surprisingly, have had great success over the years. No doubt arrogance is part of the issue with all of this. 

• Like 1