Who feels better about SWTOR's future now that we've heard from Broadsword's president?

Char_Ell

1 hour ago, Samcuu said:

"Zomg why hasn't broadsword made a statement about acquiring the game!!!!" 

Broadsword makes statement...

"ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS DERPPPP" 

😂😂

Literally no pleasing them. They ask for communication and transparency, get it, and still get angry. 🙄

3 minutes ago, Bigfallenstar said:

Literally no pleasing them. They ask for communication and transparency, get it, and still get angry. 🙄

They aren't necessarily the same people. Many different people play and not everyone agrees on what they want. Some players want more communication, even if the developers don't have anything meaningful to say. Other players want bugfixes and more content and don't care much about communication.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, casirabit said:

Not much was said.  It was mainly an introduction and what we have heard for awhile now.   I am in the wait-and-see boat.  

I'm pretty much there ... or perhaps (I should say) ... WAS.  After YEARS of posting, discussion, debate, suggestions and waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting some more (to the point of boredom) ...  

Communications are often appreciated (see response to @EricMusco post a few weeks back) ... as someone else has mentioned ... action is needed.  I realize that there is always a transition period of time.  Anyone who has merged or been involved in such matters understands this.  I've been directly involved with the merger / purchase and restructure of 3 other companies (by the company I worked for).  It can be done.  It's not impossible.  It will take work.  The results will speak for themselves (or not).

All of this is clearly in the hands of the team.  While I hope for the best ... (based on recent history) ... expectations is less than what I had hoped for.

Even this post is highly unlikely to be of much value in the grander scheme of things.  What WILL MATTER?  Simple:  Positive ACTIONS that will stand on its OWN MERIT thereby creating a REAL reason to see SWTOR continue!

• Like 2

The post was fine. He said hi and that they plan more content for the game after 7.4 and plan to be in it for the long haul. That is what he needed to say and what the majority of people have been asking for. Obviously we want improvements and action on future content, but that’s not something I expect the president of the company that took over the game to be tasked with communicating.

Let’s see how the livestream is next week. Generally speaking the messaging from the people who are supposed to communicate that stuff (devs) have not been adequate and need to improve. I’m happy to give a pass for the last few months because of transitioning the staff and company… May not have been clear what the new bosses wanted them doing/saying in terms of public comms. Focused on back end stuff, whatever. Glad to give the benefit of the doubt but after the livestream they have got to communicate more frequently and with more substance.

Edited by SoyElSenado
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

I think the phrase "action speaks louder than words" applies better but to each their own.  Many people on these forums say they want more communication from the dev team and communication usually involves words, does it not?

I feel compelled to reiterate what I said in my OP.  I think getting an introduction from Broadsword's president only happened because some people on these forums said they wanted to hear from someone from Broadsword leadership higher than Keith.  I think this does not align with your view that the developers consistently ignore what the players wish for.  Just because the developers are unable to fulfill every player's wish doesn't mean they ignore everything that players wish for.  I think players that try to be fair-minded recognize that.

I'll then attempt to dumb this down a bit and simplify my meaning as you are so hellbent on sticking to and arguing semantics.

You asked about who felt better about SWTOR's future because the BS president made a post.

I gave my reasons for why I didn't feel better - because nothing has changed in terms of development.  It's the same old story.  Just because the development company has changed, they literally took the development team that has continued to ignore the feedback given patch after patch about what players believe is bad in the game, i.e., the token/gearing system, interface changes, lack of bug fixes, changing to the combat trees, castrating crafting to near uselessness, etc.  

I did not literally mean "The players don't get anything they want, and everything they ask for should be added to the game." But frankly, I don't know anything players have requested that was implemented.  Even the age-old equipping weapons argument was screwed up and people weren't/aren't happy with it.

And quite honestly, if you can't figure out the simplest term of "Action, not words" is referring to, I believe you have other issues to review.  Again, semantics.

• Like 2

Honestly I feel like the people who were moved over to broadsword really want to continue building on the game. 7.4 will probably have to be something amazing though as the community is on such an edge, a simple breeze will blow it off that edge. 

What we need to a roadmap going forward, not just 7.4, but far beyond, I know the move to dx 12 is supposed to be coming, but beyond that. Will we be getting another expansion in the upcoming year? If not 2024, then 2025? Perhaps I ask for too much. It may take awhile to properly lay out future plans as the move over is recent and things have to be decided, but I just think we all need something eventually to reassure us that the term maintenance mode isn’t in the vocabulary of the new team in charge. 

Whatever happens, I’ve had more positives then negatives from this game, friends made, fun had, hopefully more to come. 😀🤞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amodin said:

I did not literally mean "The players don't get anything they want, and everything they ask for should be added to the game." But frankly, I don't know anything players have requested that was implemented.  Even the age-old equipping weapons argument was screwed up and people weren't/aren't happy with it.

Not sure why you're so bent about semantics.  My point was simply a number of players, in a thread you actually made an off-topic post in, requested to hear from Broadsword, in reality meaning Keith's boss, and this week's news included an introduction that fulfilled that request.  And as I fully support being frank I will say you're just plain wrong about no player requests being implemented.  The devs said they would apply travel fees to strongholds, players said they didn't think that was fair, the devs considered that and agreed, not implementing travel fees to strongholds.  So there you go.  Nevermind that players said they also didn't want quick travel fees and those were still implemented.  You win some, you lose some. 😅

1 hour ago, Amodin said:

And quite honestly, if you can't figure out the simplest term of "Action, not words" is referring to, I believe you have other issues to review.  Again, semantics.

I'm also not sure why you're addressing this to me as you weren't the one who said anything about "action, not words."  That was between me and Pirana.  Apparently you, Pirana, and others think it's applicable but I've already explained why I think it doesn't make sense.  Neither you nor Pirana have changed my mind where that is concerned.  A lot of people here want words coupled with action.  They want to know what plans for SWTOR are and they want those plans to become reality.  When someone thinks a trite phrase like "actions, not words" in reaction to an introduction from Broadsword's president requested by other players says all that needs to be said I just SMH.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

Not sure why you're so bent about semantics.  My point was simply a number of players, in a thread you actually made an off-topic post in, requested to hear from Broadsword, in reality meaning Keith's boss, and this week's news included an introduction that fulfilled that request.  And as I fully support being frank I will say you're just plain wrong about no player requests being implemented.  The devs said they would apply travel fees to strongholds, players said they didn't think that was fair, the devs considered that and agreed, not implementing travel fees to strongholds.  So there you go.  Nevermind that players said they also didn't want quick travel fees and those were still implemented.  You win some, you lose some. 😅

I'm also not sure why you're addressing this to me as you weren't the one who said anything about "action, not words."  That was between me and Pirana.  Apparently you, Pirana, and others think it's applicable but I've already explained why I think it doesn't make sense.  Neither you nor Pirana have changed my mind where that is concerned.  A lot of people here want words coupled with action.  They want to know what plans for SWTOR are and they want those plans to become reality.  When someone thinks a trite phrase like "actions, not words" in reaction to an introduction from Broadsword's president requested by other players says all that needs to be said I just SMH.

The header in your thread clearly stated, 'Who Feels Better About SWTOR's Future Now That We've Heard From Broadsword's President?' My reply was simple, action, not words. Words mean nothing, it's what is done to the game in the near future that will dictate what happens to this game, as it currently stands, it is in maintenance mode and has been for quite some time.

Regarding the proper use of action, not words, it's clear what is implied, there was no need to elaborate further, simple and to the point. Why you're being meticulous about things, no one has said anything here, it's been typed, you're clearly indicating people are saying things. I go could on and pick more of your grammar apart, but this is a gaming forum, as long as the message comes through, that is all the matters. Are you understanding this yet?  

For the few people that have posted previously, yes people want communication, but with that communication comes direction, not someone on staff saying hi, we have plans for the future. Communication and introducing new content go hand in hand, otherwise communication is irrelevant. People here need to understand something, this transition over to Broadsword wasn't an upgrade, quite the opposite, but hey, if some of you want to believe the PR that Keith, if I remember right mentions, that this move was made due to Bioware allocating their resources elsewhere, then by all means, believe it. Back to square one, actions, not words, lets see something new get implemented, until then, it's all public relations. 

Edited by Pirana
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pirana said:

The header in your thread clearly stated, 'Who Feels Better About SWTOR's Future Now That We've Heard From Broadsword's President?' My reply was simple, action, not words. Words mean nothing, it's what is done to the game in the near future that will dictate what happens to this game, as it currently stands, it is in maintenance mode and has been for quite some time.

Regarding the proper use of action, not words, it's clear what is implied, there was no need to elaborate further, simple and to the point. Why you're being meticulous about things, no one has said anything here, it's been typed, you're clearly indicating people are saying things. I go could on and pick more of your grammar apart, but this is a gaming forum, as long as the message comes through, that is all the matters. Are you understanding this yet?  

Why is communication so difficult with you?  Is it just the two of us speaking past each other?  The header of my thread as you quoted is the general question.  I made clear in my OP that I specifically directed the question to the people who wanted to hear from Broadsword.  If you didn't want to hear from Broadsword's president to begin with then I really wasn't asking you to respond.  That you chose to do so is of course fine.  I simply felt and still feel that "action, not words" flies in the face of the many who want more communication from the devs.  I think you've made it clear that you want action, not words from the devs and judging by the likes your post your view has a lot of support.  But no, I do not agree that "words mean nothing."   Words from the developers mean a lot to some, some to others, and apparently nothing to people like yourself.  Sure, call it like you see it but not everyone sees it the way you do.  However I do agree that that what is done to the game in the near future will dictate what happens to this game.

Your second paragraph is just a bunch of gobbledygook to me.  

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

Why is communication so difficult with you?  Is it just the two of us speaking past each other?  The header of my thread as you quoted is the general question.  I made clear in my OP that I specifically directed the question to the people who wanted to hear from Broadsword.  If you didn't want to hear from Broadsword's president to begin with then I really wasn't asking you to respond.  That you chose to do so is of course fine.  I simply felt and still feel that "action, not words" flies in the face of the many who want more communication from the devs.  I think you've made it clear that you want action, not words from the devs and judging by the likes your post your view has a lot of support.  But no, I do not agree that "words mean nothing."   Words from the developers mean a lot to some, some to others, and apparently nothing to people like yourself.  Sure, call it like you see it but not everyone sees it the way you do.  However I do agree that that what is done to the game in the near future will dictate what happens to this game.

Your second paragraph is just a bunch of gobbledygook to me.  

Communication comes very easy for me. Regarding the body of your first post, I read it briefly, I don't usually peruse pointless threads when it's similar to others, so my response was to the header itself, which I made very clear.

Of course you didn't read the second paragraph, or at least refusing to acknowledge it, because you're displaying a level of hyprocrisy, apropos, I would expect nothing less.

The bottom line is, until staff releases content here, their words mean nothing, which is why the General forums are dead and the game is still losing players year after year. Release new content, not regurgitated events that have been around for years and perhaps the population will grow.

2 minutes ago, Pirana said:

Communication comes very easy for me. Regarding the body of your first post, I read it briefly, I don't usually peruse pointless threads when it's similar to others, so my response was to the header itself, which I made very clear.

You don't usually peruse pointless threads but when you do you'll make a holier-than-thou post so you can bestow your boundless wisdom on the lowly and make a pointless thread not so pointless.  While I'm guessing you think I should consider myself fortunate that you deigned to lower yourself to post in a pointless thread I can't say I feel enlightened or benefited by our interaction.

3 minutes ago, Pirana said:

Of course you didn't read the second paragraph, or at least refusing to acknowledge it, because you're displaying a level of hyprocrisy, apropos, I would expect nothing less.

Wow.  If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black then I don't know what is.

The bottom line is, until staff releases content here, their words mean nothing, which is why the General forums are dead and the game is still losing players year after year. Release new content, not regurgitated events that have been around for years and perhaps the population will grow.

Sure.  Dev words mean nothing to you.  That came through loud and clear.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

You don't usually peruse pointless threads but when you do you'll make a holier-than-thou post so you can bestow your boundless wisdom on the lowly and make a pointless thread not so pointless.  While I'm guessing you think I should consider myself fortunate that you deigned to lower yourself to post in a pointless thread I can't say I feel enlightened or benefited by our interaction.

Wow.  If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black then I don't know what is.

Sure.  Dev words mean nothing to you.  That came through loud and clear.  

I replied to this thread with three simple words, action, not words, you replied to my post, then in return tried correcting me on the age-old adage of actions speak louder than words, then elaborated the obvious further. Good to see you're now acknowledging what a hypocrite is. 

Welcome to maintenance mode, and until things change, that is the status quo. Action, not words. If the devs don't do something, this game will close within a year. 

10 hours ago, Pirana said:

Not at all, I call things like I see it. Actions, not words, it's a very simple concept to understand.

TBH, I would prefer to have both.  Tell us what you are going to do then do it.  It is quite possible that this might even prevent effort being wasted on things no one cares about.

• Like 2

I replied to this thread with three simple words, action, not words, you replied to my post, then in return tried correcting me on the age-old adage of actions speak louder than words, then elaborated the obvious further. Good to see you're now acknowledging what a hypocrite is. 

Nope.  Not going to let you attempt to alter the facts to fit your subjective view.  You did start with the three words "Action, not words."  I replied, 

11 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

I think the phrase "action speaks louder than words" applies better but to each their own.  Many people on these forums say they want more communication from the dev team and communication usually involves words, does it not?

This is in no way hypocritical nor did I acknowledge it as such.  I provided a different adage that I felt was more appropriate.  This is simply a difference in opinion.  Regardless whether you believe it or not it was also not intended to be a correction.  I acknowledged that your view was yours and you have, with undeterred and unyielding determination, made it very clear that your view is indeed "actions, not words" not "actions speaks louder than words." 🤷‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Pirana said:

Welcome to maintenance mode, and until things change, that is the status quo. Action, not words. If the devs don't do something, this game will close within a year. 

Hopefully you'll be around next year and will have to eat those words.  😁

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

Nope.  Not going to let you attempt to alter the facts to fit your subjective view.  You did start with the three words "Action, not words."  I replied, 

This is in no way hypocritical nor did I acknowledge it as such.  I provided a different adage that I felt was more appropriate.  This is simply a difference in opinion.  Regardless whether you believe it or not it was also not intended to be a correction.  I acknowledged that your view was yours and you have, with undeterred and unyielding determination, made it very clear that your view is indeed "actions, not words" not "actions speaks louder than words." 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully you'll be around next year and will have to eat those words.  😁

You obviously missed the point, which isn't surprising. The hypocritical aspect was using the correct adage over what I used, then admitting people are 'saying' things on this forum. I simply pointed out the contradition and that forums are meant for communicating and that not everything needs to be perfectly aligned, as long as the message comes through. That paragraph you allegedly didn't read, not the one you just replied to. lol 

If this game is around in a year, I'll be more than happy, I've been here since launch, I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong, but I'm also realistic.

38 minutes ago, Tantala said:

TBH, I would prefer to have both.  Tell us what you are going to do then do it.  It is quite possible that this might even prevent effort being wasted on things no one cares about.

Absolutely. 

What people want is communication and new content. It's taken months for communication to finally start-up, not that it was ever great before, but after a transition such as this, where it was obviously a downgrade, people want answers now more than ever, their silence has been deafening. Ultimately though, people want new content, not the same content we've been playing for years. I have just a few weeks left on my sub, and as I've done for the last three years, I'll be spending my money elsewhere that has better communication and content that is released more regularly. 

I don't expect miracles out of this game or the new staff members, but when you have people expressing their disappointment with what has occurred recently and it took months for something to finally be mentioned, that is a red flag, the bigger red flag was the player base learning about the transition from BW to BS before it was announced here, that is a huge red flag. When a transition such as the one occurred, you're proud to release that information, even it were only in discussions, EA obviously knew it was going to happen and refused to announce it here first, so now what we have are people that are on the fence now more than ever.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tantala said:

I think you're not the only one who would prefer the devs to communicate what their plans are in advance so that they can gather player feedback and adjust those plans based on said feedback.  Unfortunately I know a fair number of people here that have cynical views on that process because they feel they've informed the devs about their concerns and those concerns have gone unheeded.  It just feels like SWTOR's devs often, if not always, are in a no-win situation.  Unfortunately, from my perspective, these circumstances are many times created by the devs themselves.  I wonder how my perspective would change if I had experience as a developer and not just a player.  Alas I do not have such experience and after seeing how much ugliness is generated by players I have zero desire to get into online game development.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Char_Ell said:

You posted in an open forum requesting an opinion.  It was given.  Then you pull the "change my mind" card.

That's not engaging in discussion or opinion about a topic, that's just picking a fight.  

So yeah, any point going further is moot with you, so we'll just end that here.

Edited by Amodin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amodin said:

You posted in an open forum requesting an opinion.  It was given.  Then you pull the "change my mind" card.

That's not engaging in discussion or opinion about a topic, that's just picking a fight.  

So yeah, any point going further is moot with you, so we'll just end that here.

Unfortunately your recollection of events is faulty.  I honestly wish it wasn't because I then wouldn't feel compelled to respond.

To recap, the question I posed is "Who feels better about about SWTORs future now that we've heard from Broadswords president?"

You made it clear you are in the "action, not words" camp established by Pirana.  I am in the "actions speak louder than words" camp.  We have a difference of opinion.   You seem to think I don't understand what "action, not words" means.  I try to take people at what they say and you perceive this as arguing semantics.  I don't respond well to condescension.

You think the devs consistently ignore what the players wish for.  I don't think that.  You've offered examples in support of your viewpoint.  I've offered examples supporting mine.  You didn't change my mind.  I'm pretty sure I didn't change yours.

I do agree that any further discussion/fighting or however you perceive our interaction in this thread would be non-productive.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

You think the devs consistently ignore what the players wish for.  I don't think that.

lets see the 7.0 mess, the inflation warning's, the PTS feedbacks,the bug problems.

i can make a big list of things the devs have ignore compleet.

Staff rarely listens, that's part of the problem as to why the game is where it is now. I certainly won't make a list of the dozens and dozens of times they refuse to listen to feedback, because we're thrown a bone few times doesn't negate all the other times they haven't listened. The biggest issue with this game has always been, they think they know what's in the best interest of the players, when the population decrease over the years has proven otherwise. Being able to develop content means just that, you can develop content. Look no further than the most successful MMO's on the market, they listen to player feedback regularly and shockingly enough... lol their numbers smoke this game, and it's not even close, with similar tenures to this game. 

On topic, no, this public relations statement hasn't changed the opinions of quite of few, notably the people expressing their opinions in this thread. Unless things change, the players will get more of the same as they have for years, vote with your wallet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1