Dear Broadsword,

oomaie

51 minutes ago, Darev said:

Looks like it's OK to do that.   Well, for Video games & Commercials

https://www.polygon.com/23800505/actors-strike-video-games-mocap-sag-aftra-rules-faq

the question is only now for how long is it going to take before there adding the video games also to it.

but so far its good news for the contant we still can get  ( all is it not much and it still needs a big inprove also for a long time)

4 hours ago, Darev said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/writers-strike-rules-wga-what-to-work-on-1235478494/

Most comprehensive article I've seen about it.

Apparently video game writing isn't covered by the strike.

Oh my stars!

Good find!

Like it or not that does change things a bit.  I'm not sure how it will directly affect SWTOR .. but evidently it carries a lot of weight!

4 hours ago, Darev said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/writers-strike-rules-wga-what-to-work-on-1235478494/

Most comprehensive article I've seen about it.

Apparently video game writing isn't covered by the strike

Since Disney is a struck company per the guild, I wonder if that affects SWTOR's writing at all (and in turn its voice actors, since they went on strike in part to support the writers).

And thanks for sharing the article!

On 8/9/2023 at 5:02 PM, Otowi said:

I think I saw a YT vid once from another MMO developer, and they said that stories are usually written 6mos to 1 year ahead of time, which makes sense as they have to have head time to develop and code with the script in mind, not to mention get the VO for this game ahead of time, so I would have to think that they have story content penned out for a little while longer.

I think that's a safe bet.

26 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

Oh my stars!

Good find!

Like it or not that does change things a bit.  I'm not sure how it will directly affect SWTOR .. but evidently it carries a lot of weight!

If the strike doesn't apply to video game writing, am I understanding it correctly that the strike should have no effect on the game than?

29 minutes ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

If the strike doesn't apply to video game writing, am I understanding it correctly that the strike should have no effect on the game than?

It could also be more of an agreement side of the matter:  VA / games or commercials would be exempt in the agreement.  As for the strike?  The writers might be a part of that strike until the agreement has been finalized.  The entire matter of the VA was one of the reasons for the strike in the first place.  IF that part (VA in video games in particular) is exempt from the strike then there's a good chance that once this is over those producing said products should at least be able to secure and utilize computer generated / enhance VA without any legal difficulties.  

To be perfectly candid about it ...I'm not an expert in this area.  But that's kind of my take on this for right now!

As for what is forbidden NOW ... Kind of looks like the guild association is asking it's member to NOT accept other work outside of their normal areas.  IMO ... without knowing just how far reaching some of these areas are it's difficult to get a clear-cut picture of the scope of this strike.  And if I had to guess I'd say that is the point this union is attempting to make.

And ... then again... I could be wrong too!

Edited by OlBuzzard
This is confusing at best

46 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

It could also be more of an agreement side of the matter:  VA / games or commercials would be exempt in the agreement.  As for the strike?  The writers might be a part of that strike until the agreement has been finalized.  The entire matter of the VA was one of the reasons for the strike in the first place.  IF that part (VA in video games in particular) is exempt from the strike then there's a good chance that once this is over those producing said products should at least be able to secure and utilize computer generated / enhance VA without any legal difficulties.  

To be perfectly candid about it ...I'm not an expert in this area.  But that's kind of my take on this for right now!

As for what is forbidden NOW ... Kind of looks like the guild association is asking it's member to NOT accept other work outside of their normal areas.  IMO ... without knowing just how far reaching some of these areas are it's difficult to get a clear-cut picture of the scope of this strike.  And if I had to guess I'd say that is the point this union is attempting to make.

And ... then again... I could be wrong too!

I really don't know much about this other than the little snipets I see here on the forums and I think it's safe to say that while you might not be sure, you probably have a better idea about it than I do.

The part that confused me, as someone else pointed out, it doesn't seem to have any effect on TV, commercials, or cartoons, so it's a little hard for me to understand why than it should have an effect on the game.

But, that is a position born of ignorance on my part.

4 minutes ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

I really don't know much about this other than the little snipets I see here on the forums and I think it's safe to say that while you might not be sure, you probably have a better idea about it than I do.

The part that confused me, as someone else pointed out, it doesn't seem to have any effect on TV, commercials, or cartoons, so it's a little hard for me to understand why than it should have an effect on the game.

But, that is a position born of ignorance on my part.

I wouldn't feel too bad.  I've since scanned over two other articles.  Those who wrote the other articles ... pretty much said the same thing that several of us concluded at some point ...

It's confusing!!

If people who follow this stuff are saying it's confusing ... then I'm pretty sure that we're not alone!

😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

Oh my stars!

Good find!

Sorry for the duplicate post... I was on page 3 when I replied lol

On 8/4/2023 at 12:27 PM, Char_Ell said:

Keith Kanneg posted the official announcement of the transition on June 27.  Broadsword just haven't made it a priority to get their websites updated other than Broadsword now shows under the devs' forum names that made the transition.  On the same day SWTOR's Lead Writer announced on her Twitter account that she was now employed by Broadsword.  Seems logical to assume that all the other SWTOR devs making the transition switched their employment to Broadsword at the same time.  My guess is the SWTOR game client will get updated to show Broadsword with the 7.3.1 update which I anticipate will go live sometime in September.

EDIT: The server transition to AWS is not associated with the developer transition to Broadsword.  It was never a matter of the servers would transition to AWS when the dev team transitioned to Broadsword.  In his post on June 20 Keith Kanneg advised the timeline for the transition to AWS was being reassessed as a result of the transition to Broadsword but they were still moving forward with the AWS server transition project.

Thanks for the information, and I saw almost all of this already (not Twitter, I don't use social media anymore and frankly don't use it as any 'official platform').  The sites that I saw didn't have anything at all posted about Broadsword now being the developer (unlike how they are now) and as others here had the assumption that post 7.4 would be their 'beginning'.  So, I was obviously surprised when I saw them listed this early.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, Pirana said:

Nor will you find a link that an official transition has taken place, that isn't how this works, notably with such a small company as this. The name change under the employee's names is all you need to know and will probably ever know. It's not their responsibility to keep the customer base in the loop when it comes to internal operations. The only thing the customers needs to know is what the direction of this game is and where it currently stands. Now, I could tell you the sky is blue and it's your choice not to believe it.

This is where we would disagree as it's no different than Jackie and developers coming here to post as they have, including the director(s).  Not doing any kind of transition with some kind of introduction just goes to show that the development and 'care' about this game is moot because that is an absolute failure of Customer Service, not to mention business practices.

I wasn't looking for internal operations and being kept in the loop - that's not what interfacing with their player-base is about at all, it's about providing information about the game they are 'developing and supporting' (using those terms really loosely here) including who they are, what their roadmap would be for the game, etc.  Not internal operations.  What gave you the idea I gave a rat's ass about what they do internally?  There's a distinct difference between what they do and what they provide to us, and the latter is what I would be waiting to hear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amodin said:

This is where we would disagree as it's no different than Jackie and developers coming here to post as they have, including the director(s).  Not doing any kind of transition with some kind of introduction just goes to show that the development and 'care' about this game is moot because that is an absolute failure of Customer Service, not to mention business practices.

I wasn't looking for internal operations and being kept in the loop - that's not what interfacing with their player-base is about at all, it's about providing information about the game they are 'developing and supporting' (using those terms really loosely here) including who they are, what their roadmap would be for the game, etc.  Not internal operations.  What gave you the idea I gave a rat's ass about what they do internally?  There's a distinct difference between what they do and what they provide to us, and the latter is what I would be waiting to hear.

You can disagree all you want, this is how they're handling things. The fact this transition was leaked from another site before it was announced here should tell you all you need to know, at least someone with an iota of commmon sense should understand that. At this point, anything pertaining to this company, you and everyone here, should take with a grain of salt, it's all PR, in other words, trying to salvage what is left and hope for miraculous recovery. The player base is in the 'need to know' category now more than ever, and it's not changing, deal with it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Amodin said:

... or....

The people that were in charge before as the same as there is now?  So nothing is gonna change or get better?

On 8/15/2023 at 8:51 AM, Pirana said:

You can disagree all you want, this is how they're handling things. The fact this transition was leaked from another site before it was announced here should tell you all you need to know, at least someone with an iota of commmon sense should understand that. At this point, anything pertaining to this company, you and everyone here, should take with a grain of salt, it's all PR, in other words, trying to salvage what is left and hope for miraculous recovery. The player base is in the 'need to know' category now more than ever, and it's not changing, deal with it.

I wish I could like this reply twice.

Its pretty much that simple, and the track record of the past few years backs it up. 

To be optimistic of honest open communication or quality development is simply unrealistic given what has happened ever since LotS, not even including before.

The best we can hope for is they don't lower the quality of the game any further then they have in the 7.0 era. Expect anything else and you will be disappointed.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 6:46 AM, oomaie said:

Could you please introduce yourselves? Let us know your intent or vision for the future, or just say ANYTHING?! 

I fully agree with you and also have a few questions of my own

- will the forum moderators/managers change too? 

- who are the content creators? 

- is there going to be anything at all after 8.0? 

This is honestly starting to feel a lot like how Rift started when it got over to Gamingo in regards to talking to the community and such. Beyond the random couple of posts from Jackie and co.

Needless to say, Rift has been forgotten and just left to rot. I would hate to see that happen with SWTOR but... I'm not confident with it.

I've mentioned this in the past, but I've seen it happen a few times, whether it was RIFT, which probably doesn't have more than two hundred players left, or what I watched happed to TERA, which is now officially closed. Often when a company gets passed off to another, it's usually not a good sign. A company doesn't cut half their staff, then try to spin it as if the former wasn't doing their job, of course that's what they're going to tell people, I would expect nothing less. The fact this transition was leaked elsewhere before it was announced here, is a huge red flag. I hope I'm wrong, I have a lot of years invested in this game, but similar to how SWG shutdown, I'll just move on. I still actively play GW2, WoW, ESO to name a few, but I'd rather not see this game get shutdown or linger in maintenance mode for years.

RIFT.... the launch of that game was something else, we were there. The freedom of their 'soul' trees I think they were called, made for some of the more interesting builds on the market, notably their Chloromancer, which was extremely overpowered, eventually getting hit hard with the nerf bat. lol Even one of their healers, I think it was the Cleric, had a taunt, different concept. Their rifts were also a blast, something GW2 is 'borrowing' in their upcoming expansion. Ultimately what did RIFT in was yes, it was a WoW clone, but them completely revamping their skill trees did not sit well with the community. And until it happens, no one is taking WoW down, they're too good, cartoon avatars or not, their end game is where it's at.

We'll see what happens here, but people need to have realistic expectations.

I imagine we will know early next year. As others in this thread have noted, I'm fairly confident that 7.4, currently scheduled for a "holiday" release, is already pretty much fully cooked. After 7.4, however, I have no expectations one way or the other that there will be much more new content, particularly an 8.0. While I would be disappointed if it is entering full-maintenance mode, I'm fortunate that I like other games as much as SWTOR. 

Perhaps some of the dev team, artists, etc., moved over to Broadsword because they didn't want to be unemployed, even for a short period of time. I'm sure most have familial responsibilities, mortgages, car payments, etc. But one thing I imagine is true: Those who did switch over have a pretty good sense of what the medium-term plans are for SWTOR.

Another point I imagine is true: If in fact this is just a short-term transition to get 7.4 out the door, I would be sending my resume all around Austin and other gaming development hubs around the planet.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast
Stupid Typos!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdast said:

I imagine we will know early next year. As others in this thread have noted, I'm fairly confident that 7.4, currently scheduled for a "holiday" release, is already pretty much fully cooked. After 7.4, however, I have no expectations one way or the other that there will be much more new content, particularly an 8.0. While I would be disappointed if it is entering full-maintenance mode, I'm fortunate that I like other games as much as SWTOR. 

Perhaps some of the dev team, artists, etc., moved over to Broadsword because they didn't want to be unemployed, even for a short period of time. I'm sure most have familial responsibilities, mortgages, car payments, etc. But one thing I imagine is true: Those who did switch over have a pretty good sense of what the medium-term plans are for SWTOR.

Another point I imagine is true: If in fact this is just a short-term transition to get 7.4 out the door, I would be sending my resume all around Austin and other gaming development hubs around the planet.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Something similar happened in Rift when it got shifted over to Gamingo. Some of the devs and such went over to "Transition" the game. Then about six months later all of the devs were and such were let go. I think only the CM was left...which then cycled to four different CMs within a year or so. Now Rift I think has no official CM and the forums were removed...everything is done via Discord and Twitter now. They have it on full maintenance mode and even then servers randomly go down for a day without acknowledgement and then come back up. Festivals are on autotimer to start.

I say this in the most respectful way but that's how I see SWTOR going: Once 7.4 is out they work shift it to maintenance mode. 

For hitting the copium and such, I commend you and know the feeling all too well (I did it with Wildstar) but when a game is shifted from one company to another and dev team is slashed in roughly half...with really no announcement so far from the new company besides a post or two from the CMs... it's done. I'll die on that hill.

Edit: Another thing just occurred to me is this: If this was going to breathe new life into the game I assume Broadsword would have wanted to really show case it and say "Hey, we are going to dig in and make this game relevant again". Some type of advertisement to it saying it's not going away, but will get better! Only reason we found out about the transition was because it was leaked, and at that point they were behind the 8-ball on it.

Edited by Guyverarmor
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

If player numbers continue to plummet, then I can’t see them having enough revenue to continue reinvesting. Which rules out a new APAC server or 8.0 expansion. 

If the numbers continue to plummet ...  there will be little else to discuss on just about any subject.

I will say this.  At least last week there was some attempt to communicate with us regarding the next patch / update / etc.

I also still maintain that by the time we see the arrival of the new year ... either we will not only hear from the appropriate Broadsword representative as well as see a more positive direction of the development of SWTOR or ...  once again hear an all too familiar message of promises and exciting things to come.

What we will actually get will either be ...  the afore mentioned positive direction (one that most of us gladly welcome) or another chapter of the same ol' same ol'.  In that case  ...  well.  IMO .. for me personally:  "Pay no attention to the man standing behind the curtain" would be my own assessment.  

For now ... I will wait and see what becomes of this situation.  Two days ago, I paid for another 6 months (seemed to be the best bargain price).  I actually waited until the date of expiration (with only a few hours left).   So, I guess everyone is stuck with the old man for a while longer!  The only reason that I didn't pull the plug on this game was due to the changeover to Broadsword.  

I still believe that there is tremendous potential for this game!  That said ... It's time to put the cards on the table!

1 hour ago, OlBuzzard said:

I still believe that there is tremendous potential for this game!

this game has still a tremendous potential but there never use it at all in a good way.

the crafting system in this game is good and there do notting with it to keep it also good working like adding new things in the game to craft.

look at the new armor system its a compleet waste of the crafting system what was a good thing to craft your own mods to upgrade you armor with.

what is also wrong is that there add something in this game and in the next expension it gets remove after 1 year a lot of time's.

1 hour ago, OlBuzzard said:

If the numbers continue to plummet ...  there will be little else to discuss on just about any subject.

there need to ask there self first good why are players leaving the game. what are the reasons, and how can we chance it.

the most commen reason i can think about why players are leaving is that the developers destory things more in there expensions/update's then doing things good.

take there credit sink idea's players do not like it at all to pay for trade's and have a tax increase for the GTN also that sub players need to pay for the quick travel and so on.

that are more idea's to give players a reason to leave then to stay.

a other reason can also be that players have lost there trust in the development team for developing new contant.

remember the 7.0 expension how big of a screw up it not was and how many players are not pist off from it by the big screw up there have done.

Edited by Spikanor