AI generated voices for companions ...

StrikePrice

9 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

AI as a writer??  

Meatbags make interesting observations and are excellent from a standpoint of creativity ..  BUT unlikely biomechanical compliments have been created to act as a substitute at this time.  (If you catch my drift)

😉

Lol, I do like your funny comments

• Thanks 1

Just now, TonyTricicolo said:

Well the first iterations AI will assist people with disabilities. For example, the neuralink is to restore vision to the blind. A microchip is attached to optical nerves behind the eye. They already have a version for deaf people. There will be no physical currency for people to interchange hands. Everything will be digital. 

It will be upon us much faster than we think. The last couple years of isolation due to Corona virus has escalated technology by 10 years. Will there be hiccups? Of course. but this is the direction the world is moving towards whether be like it or not.

AI at McDonalds restaurant ??  Not yet ...  BUT we do have a Taco Bell where everything (except for the cooking) is done by touch pad / i-phone (or android).  Pick up can be done inside or via drive through!   You cannot walk up to someone and place an order.  That option is simply not available.  Payment is via credit card or cash inserted into an electronic cashier ONLY.

It should be noted that there are some McDonalds restaurants that have a partial automated system in place.

Yeah ... as someone else has pointed out ... CRAZY times!

8 hours ago, eabevella said:

Ai replacing voice "acting"? Not in a long run for anyone who wants actual good performance.

Ai replacing filler trash GS companion lines ? It's already machine generated now so why not.

I'm not much of a story enthusiast in mmos, if at all.  
But in an mmo, the option for AI to run NPC is just what people want from an mmo and will make the world  as close as to a "living world".
NPC besides just standing there with the same options will be able to interact with the player with however the player wants to say and they will replay to your questions or actions, change their daily routine in games that have night and day cycle, they could create their own quests for the player, make relations with the player to the benefit of the player and each npc or companion to have a different personality.
You just don't interact with every playable character, but npc each with a different personality.
Writers are still need to write the main story and the boundaries/personality of each npc so the AI stays on the boundaries/personality/background that was given.
While VA will either evolve into voice actors signing new contracts of using their voice with them doing nothing so they make money without working, for main story they use the VA voice and for the every day interaction with the player va simulating the voice or straight out replacing VA.

The only reason i can think of AI not being fully utilized for some time, is because everyone knows some people will try to make the ai say something bad and the company will be the one being blamed

Edited by xxSHOONYxx

1 minute ago, xxSHOONYxx said:

I'm not much of a story enthusiast in mmos, if at all.  
But in an mmo, the option for AI to run NPC is just what people want from an mmo and will make the world an as close as to a "living world".
NPC besides just standing there with the same options will be able to interact with the player with however the player wants to say and they will replay to your questions or actions, change their daily routine routine in games that have night and day cycle, they could create their own quests for the player, make relations with the player to the benefit of the player and each npc or companion to have a different personality.
You just don't interact with every playable character, but npc each with a different personality.
Writers are still need to write the main story and the boundaries/personality of each npc so the AI stays on the boundaries/personality/background that was given.
While VA will either evolve into voice actors signing new contracts of using their voice with them doing nothing so they make money without working, for main story they use the VA voice and for the every day interaction with the player va simulating the voice or straight out replacing VA.

The only reason i can think of AI being fully utilized for some time, is because everyone knows some people will try to make the ai say something bad and the company will be the one being blamed

Well said!  Writers have the ability to be creative.  I don't see that being done by an AI (YET) !  It's one thing for the movie industry to turn to AI for it's story telling.  But I rather suspect that is not that far off.  As for the right and wrong of said changes in the industry .. that could be debated indefinitely.  

There are good actors / and bad ones!  Not all of them are as good as someone like Tom Cruise (BTW ... it should be noted that not everyone likes Tom Cruise).  It should also be noted that Top Gun: Maveric is one example where you needed to have the real deal sitting in a cockpit with exceptionally well-done cinematography to convey the story properly.

On the other hand when it comes to an MMO there is an obvious excellent application for this technology right now... today!

Please note this is just an example as seen from my own standpoint of view. 

Forgive me if this sounds snotty I don't mean it to be... I'm not sure there's understanding here that if AI replaces actors, then dozens of other trades and crafts relating to producing entertainment die out. For example, just the wardrobe departments of period productions many on whom are the only way of preserving several handcrafts in the modern world, die out. If IA entirely replaces VA in Video Games and Animation, untold thousands of people experience either a drastic reduction, or complete elimination of their livelihoods! Which impacts the larger economy as a whole. Does anyone really believe that Troy Baker, or Jennifer Hale make as much money as Tom Cruise? The idea that Actors as a whole are a class of extreme wealth is false! What's next? AI singers? AI painters? 

AI has a place I don't deny that, but this is a slippery slope.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Forgive me if this sounds snotty I don't mean it to be... I'm not sure there's understanding here that if AI replaces actors, then dozens of other trades and crafts relating to producing entertainment die out. For example, just the wardrobe departments of period productions many on whom are the only way of preserving several handcrafts in the modern world, die out. If IA entirely replaces VA in Video Games and Animation, untold thousands of people experience either a drastic reduction, or complete elimination of their livelihoods! Which impacts the larger economy as a whole. Does anyone really believe that Troy Baker, or Jennifer Hale make as much money as Tom Cruise? The idea that Actors as a whole are a class of extreme wealth is false! What's next? AI singers? AI painters? 

I have no idea who are Jennifer Hale & Troy Baker, as I only completed the Consular and Bounty Hunter class stories, but I agree with you, voice actors shouldn't be out of the picture, as they certainly do not gain as much as Tom Cruise does. 

Just now, JakRoanin said:

Jennifer Hale voices the Female Trooper, and Satele Shan. Troy Baker Voices Zenith, Theron Shan and others.

I know Satele Shan & Zenith ( he is my favorite so far ! ) but I have yet to play Trooper and meet Theron Shan. Thank you anyway for clarifying this for me :)

8 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Movies didn't make theater disappear. Same way ai won't make actors disappear

• Like 1

Just now, xxSHOONYxx said:

Movies didn't make theater disappear. Same way ai won't make actors disappear

Theater is such a niche form of entertainment that Covid nearly decimated it! I won't assume how much you've experienced with theater but it is dying a slow and agonizing death in the US.

16 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

I haven't suggested an entire AI take over...

Sometimes that can get out of hand!

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+emh+on+voyager&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjctvP0opGAAxUhmWoFHZzTBukQ0pQJegUIjAEQAQ&biw=2560&bih=1297&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:4501ced9,vid:AVPjyJ3GTEo

14 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

It's much much worse than that. Take self-driving cars for example. 

What's the #1 employer of men in the US?
If cars drive themselves, companies will own them. You will Uber everywhere.
Mechanics will all work for companies.
You will pay per trip for insurance.
Only companies own cars, no need for parking.
You don't own a car, why do you need a garage? Driveway?
Gas stations? Not needed.

And on an on and on. From one innovation. The entire world is about to change. And to answer your question directly. Yes, content creation is already being democratized. Check out r/StableDiffusion as one example. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StrikePrice said:

And on an on and on. From one innovation. The entire world is about to change. And to answer your question directly. Yes, content creation is already being democratized. Check out r/StableDiffusion as one example. 

What if you own a motorcycle or scooter? How will that "drive itself" ? 

Just now, StrikePrice said:

Please don't get me started on AI cars ...  What next AI boats?  WE already have sonar so sophisticated that the only thing that is missing is the color and species of the fish we are tracking!!

AI still has its place!  And there is still an appropriate application for said technology in SWTOR today!

Just now, JakRoanin said:

Which is why a balance is needed. As a disabled person, I'd love a KITT, but I understand that it needs to be balanced with rational and reasonable protections for people.

KITT was pretty good!  Hasselhoff needed acting lessons (IMO)  .. but I liked the car!

4 minutes ago, NorthernNephilim said:

The highways will be AI controlled. No more driving anything. You get on your motorcycle and through the use of AI. cameras and system feedback it will drive it self. It will be essentially a cab where you plug in destination then leave the rest to the computer.

Edited by TonyTricicolo

3 minutes ago, NorthernNephilim said:

It probably wouldn't ... that's why we're probably looking at transporter beams instead!

(yeah ... I'm messin' with ya)

Edited by OlBuzzard

1 minute ago, TonyTricicolo said:

The highways will be AI controlled. No more self driving anything. You get on your motorcycle and through the use of AI. cameras and system feedback it will drive it self. It will be essentially a cab where you plug in destination then leave the rest to the computer.

Sorry, but this won't happen in the next 100 years! Not all countries will have access to that kind of resources aka AI controlled highways and not all bikers will afford to buy such an advanced motorcycle.

What then, deny that person's right to go to work from an isolated village just because he/she doesn't have enough money to buy an " intelligent" vehicle? That will be discrimination, and so will be the neurolink you mentioned before, not all blind people will afford to pay for it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NorthernNephilim said:

Sorry, but this won't happen in the next 100 years! Not all countries will have access to that kind of resources aka AI controlled highways and not all bikers will afford to buy such an advanced motorcycle.

What then, deny that person's right to go to work from an isolated village just because he/she doesn't have enough money to buy an " intelligent" vehicle? That will be discrimination, and so will be the neurolink you mentioned before, not all blind people will afford to pay for it. 

I'm confident enough to say it will happen with in the next 10 years. AI is already here and we are essentially Cyborgs. Do you go anywhere without your cellphone? The next stage is augmented reality where neuralink and tech glasses come into play.  Imagine access to your phone without physically using your hands and having information displayed via hud on your glasses. Access to information will be instantaneous. Do you ever question whether light will come on when you flip the light switch in your room? That will be the ease of technology. The cost to make microchips is now negative and almost comparable to the ability of farmers to produce grain. Meaning it will be in everything. We can now make microchips so small it can be mixed with paint making smart homes the future. Costs and prices of technology will not only be affordable it will almost be taken for granted. 

Edited by TonyTricicolo

3 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

Many careers are walking dead. VAs and actors are high on the list. 

This is wrong. It will not be long until you cannot tell the difference and it will not be long after that that you will prefer AI generated content to human generated content. 

Maybe to people with no "taste" as in how I can't tell the difference of a $100 audio set from a $10000 one.

Edited by eabevella
  • Like 1