Serious FPS performance problems after 64bit upgrade — on a high end machine

VaticanHaircut

4 minutes ago, Ardrossan said:

Give players the benefit of the doubt instead of the big corporation that is entirely responsible for this change.

No. Not any more. This community has lost all benefits of doubt. Are you aware what many players say/write on other forums? I literally almost quit SWTOR out of annoyance when I see players expose their own lack of knowledge and skills, proceeding to bash BW-devs in a way that makes me lose faith in this young generation of gamers and their attitude. So, even tough I am a far cry from any kind of tech nerd, I DO give the obvious run-down to players in threads about these specific problems. Now, 

9 minutes ago, Ardrossan said:

Assume it's not the rig or anything players are doing wrong

And yet I see so many players with rigs below the minimum requirements bash at BW for not being able to play the game at full ultra with 200 fps. So no, I assume it is the players and their rigs, until other wise proven wrong.

11 minutes ago, Ardrossan said:

Like your preceding textwall which apparently isn't even about comments in this forum

It is precisely about comments in this forum. Yet another thread about highend machines failing, when literally only the OP has a high end machine, some even dont live up to minimum, and yet they complain. 

• Confused 1

Heh.
I think the conversation has veered a little off the rails.

Fact is, I'm still experiencing really shockingly poor FPS performance out of this title, and I'm just about resolved to end my subscription and walk away for the time being.
My machine is dramatically over the recommended specs, and it's really frustrating that despite a week of trying out dozens of troubleshooting strategies, nothing has improved the situation.

I'll log in again with the next major update to see if things have improved any, but this does leave a sour taste in my mouth.

• Like 1

Sometimes people are too quick to blame the game the are trying to play. Take for an example Immortals Fenyx Rising people left reviews saying the game was bad cause they could not play it cause it kept crashing. When the truth was the newest Nvidia driver at the time was causing problem not only for Immortals Fenyx Rising but for other games as well. Some people learned if you went back to 528.49 drivers you was good to go.

As of lately Nvidia drivers been a dumpster fire cause of one reason or another.

• Dev Post
18 hours ago, VaticanHaircut said:

Heh.
I think the conversation has veered a little off the rails.

Fact is, I'm still experiencing really shockingly poor FPS performance out of this title, and I'm just about resolved to end my subscription and walk away for the time being.
My machine is dramatically over the recommended specs, and it's really frustrating that despite a week of trying out dozens of troubleshooting strategies, nothing has improved the situation.

I'll log in again with the next major update to see if things have improved any, but this does leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Hi there, can you confirm that you tried the steps listed in my previous post? And if you've submitted a DxDiag to Support? Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JackieKo said:

Hi there, can you confirm that you tried the steps listed in my previous post? And if you've submitted a DxDiag to Support? Thanks! 

Hi JackieKo,

Definitely, I can confirm that I've tried adjusting resolution settings, fullscreen/windowed/windowed settings, set the frame limiter to the max of 200, turned off antialiasing, reduced shadow settings, and downloaded the most recent Nvidia drivers as of last night. I've also done a fresh install of the game and runtime components, including DirectX and VC++.

I've provided Dxdiag reports in several different tickets as well as screengrabs of my CPU usage, framerate, and CPU/GPU temperatures and loads.

My most recent open ticket with support is Ticket# 39098567.

Help me JackieKo.
You're my only hope.

• Like 1

Hey @MortenJessen!

Before the recent 64-bit update, I was actually on older Nvidia drivers (I'd wager about a few months old.)
Although, I'm now on the most recent drivers (531.41) as of a few days ago since it was a troubleshooting suggestion. And for what it's worth, while that hasn't improved my FPS at all, it also hasn't created any additional issues on my end.

Edited by VaticanHaircut
Spelling and all that.

Hello all, 

---My System ---

Windows 11 

Intel i7 13700kf

32gig ram DDR5

z790 chipset

AMD Radeon 7900xt Graphics card. 

Monitors are 1440p  and can do 165hz refresh rate. 

---The Problem---

I also am having some issues after the update to 64bit client.  Not so much FPS issues or performance issues. My Screens go black for a few seconds then game loads back and plays fine for a little bit until this happens again. I can predict when this will happen as my graphics card fans are loud and I can hear them throttle down. A few seconds later both monitors will go black as if they lose signal.   When this happens other Applications will close out.  Things like Discord or my Logitech g hub. Steam stays up but turns to a white screen inside of the steam page but the menu for steam remains. If I click an menu item nothing happens and the screen inside of steam remains white. Then the  black screens become more frequent. It will continue on until both screens finally stay black. I can open task manager and it will come up on the screen but everything else around it stays black.  I can then restart the PC and everything runs normal again. 

SWTOR IS THE ONLY GAME THIS HAPPENS WITH.  all other games play fine.  other games including New World, MW2, Total War Warhammer 3 and a few others with no issues.

----Things that I have  tried. ----

reinstall game. 

uninstall graphics drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller.  Clean install following.  Installing minimal driver package. 

changing in game graphics settings to low

changing game resolution to 1080p (both monitors) also matching monitor resolution settings in windows video settings. 

changing refresh rate of game and monitors to 144 then to 120 all the way down to 60

change to fullscreen or windowed normally I run in Fullscreen(windowed)

changing the FPS limit in game. 

No V sync

Run Steam as Administrator > Run SWTOR and Launcher as Administrator.

Changed to high performance mode. <<--- in windows 11 when doing this it gives me the option under System>Display> Graphics to select SWTOR from the list and the following Options are available to me --- Let Windows decide (High performance) --- Power Saving --- High performance GPU: AMD Radeon 7900XT --- Don't use optimizations for windowed games--. I have tried them all and it seems that  High performance GPU: AMD Radeon 7900XT  option allows me to play much longer before the issues start again. Once they start again i have to close SWTOR, Close Steam and any other Applications other than my browser. Restart them all again then im able to play again for awhile longer (1 or 2 hrs). 

I do have an older system with a 6700k 32gig 1660ti  that the game runs good on since the 64bit update. average around 90FPS. I used same monitors with same cables for testing this. 

I know most people here are using Nvidia.  But any ideas or feedback are greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, LordRage_ said:

Hello all, 

---My System ---

Windows 11 

Intel i7 13700kf

32gig ram DDR5

z790 chipset

---The Problem---

I also am having some issues after the update to 64bit client.  Not so much FPS issues or performance issues. My Screens go black for a few seconds then game loads back and plays fine for a little bit until this happens again. I can predict when this will happen as my graphics card fans are loud and I can hear them throttle down. A few seconds later both monitors will go black as if they lose signal.   When this happens other Applications will close out. 

could be a thermal issue 
maybe best to make a post in the technical issues forum with a dxidag https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en 

Edited by OwenBrooks

3 hours ago, LordRage_ said:

Hello all, 

---My System ---

Windows 11 

Intel i7 13700kf

32gig ram DDR5

z790 chipset

---The Problem---

I also am having some issues after the update to 64bit client.  Not so much FPS issues or performance issues. My Screens go black for a few seconds then game loads back and plays fine for a little bit until this happens again. I can predict when this will happen as my graphics card fans are loud and I can hear them throttle down. A few seconds later both monitors will go black as if they lose signal.   When this happens other Applications will close out.  Things like Discord or my Logitech g hub. Steam stays up but turns to a white screen inside of the steam page but the menu for steam remains. If I click an menu item nothing happens and the screen inside of steam remains white. Then the  black screens become more frequent. It will continue on until both screens finally stay black. I can open task manager and it will come up on the screen but everything else around it stays black.  I can then restart the PC and everything runs normal again. 

SWTOR IS THE ONLY GAME THIS HAPPENS WITH.  all other games play fine.  other games including New World, MW2, Total War Warhammer 3 and a few others with no issues.

----Things that I have  tried. ----

reinstall game. 

uninstall graphics drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller.  Clean install following.  Installing minimal driver package. 

changing in game graphics settings to low

changing game resolution to 1080p (both monitors) also matching monitor resolution settings in windows video settings. 

changing refresh rate of game and monitors to 144 then to 120 all the way down to 60

change to fullscreen or windowed normally I run in Fullscreen(windowed)

changing the FPS limit in game. 

No V sync

Run Steam as Administrator > Run SWTOR and Launcher as Administrator.

Changed to high performance mode. <<--- in windows 11 when doing this it gives me the option under System>Display> Graphics to select SWTOR from the list and the following Options are available to me --- Let Windows decide (High performance) --- Power Saving --- High performance GPU: AMD Radeon 7900XT --- Don't use optimizations for windowed games--. I have tried them all and it seems that  High performance GPU: AMD Radeon 7900XT  option allows me to play much longer before the issues start again. Once they start again i have to close SWTOR, Close Steam and any other Applications other than my browser. Restart them all again then im able to play again for awhile longer (1 or 2 hrs). 

I do have an older system with a 6700k 32gig 1660ti  that the game runs good on since the 64bit update. average around 90FPS. I used same monitors with same cables for testing this. 

I know most people here are using Nvidia.  But any ideas or feedback are greatly appreciated. 

Also as Owen says, it maybe a thermal issue. Consider using this HWmonitor to track what’s happening with your temps & resources being used. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

(Re: my own RX 6700XT card stresses out & heats up too under certain situations in swtor)

I have noticed that certain things like opening cargo holds & some UI screens increase my GPU usage to 100% & temps rise significantly. It also affects my AMD 5800x CPU & stresses 1 core to 100%.

Im pretty sure if I didn’t have the Water Cooling, my system would hit critical temps too. All my graphics & CPU watercooling fans go into over drive opening cargo holds & doing a few other things in swtor. But never in combat or what should be higher stressed situations. 

And swtor is the only software or game I play that I ever hear my PC fans. Otherwise my PC is usually 100% silent. That includes using model rendering software & games like Gw2, War Thunder, SW Squadrons, WoW & COH3.

There is something intrinsically wrong with something in swtor that stresses things out. I’ve tried 4 different graphics drivers. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Thanks 2

game runs like complete garbage since update. I mean, even more garbage than before. 20 FPS in Ops, stuttering across the fleet on a machine that easily runs other mmos. Which I'm gonna play instead. Maybe hire some capable programmers when you want to do something like that. Sapped the last ounce of hope I had for the game.

14 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Also as Owen says, it maybe a thermal issue. Consider using this HWmonitor to track what’s happening with your temps & resources being used. https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

(Re: my own RX 6700XT card stresses out & heats up too under certain situations in swtor)

I have noticed that certain things like opening cargo holds & some UI screens increase my GPU usage to 100% & temps rise significantly. It also affects my AMD 5800x CPU & stresses 1 core to 100%.

Im pretty sure if I didn’t have the Water Cooling, my system would hit critical temps too. All my graphics & CPU watercooling fans go into over drive opening cargo holds & doing a few other things in swtor. But never in combat or what should be higher stressed situations. 

And swtor is the only software or game I play that I ever hear my PC fans. Otherwise my PC is usually 100% silent. That includes using model rendering software & games like Gw2, War Thunder, SW Squadrons, WoW & COH3.

There is something intrinsically wrong with something in swtor that stresses things out. I’ve tried 4 different graphics drivers. 

not thermals. i can monitor all that and nothing comes close to overheating. and as i said its only with this game. its so weird. 

3 minutes ago, LordRage_ said:

not thermals. i can monitor all that and nothing comes close to overheating. and as i said its only with this game. its so weird. 

"Thermals" is not always the result of 'overheating'. Sometimes thermal problems are just the result of expansion/contraction of components because of temperature changes. With SWTOR in particular, this can be more of a problem because of the extra load put on both the CPU and GPU. 

Start by removing the GPU; inspecting and cleaning the contacts; and re-inserting the GPU making sure it is properly seated in the socket.

On 4/16/2023 at 3:17 AM, Aethyriel said:

game runs like complete garbage since update. I mean, even more garbage than before. 20 FPS in Ops, stuttering across the fleet on a machine that easily runs other mmos. Which I'm gonna play instead. Maybe hire some capable programmers when you want to do something like that. Sapped the last ounce of hope I had for the game.

game stutter you should be able to adjust settings to stop it the stutter , not knowing hardware and current settings used cant help more 

if nvidia for example, if your using vsync , set vsync to "fast" in the nvidia control panel it should alleviate stutter for example

click image link nvidia vsync 

another is If playing fullscreen , switch to fullscreen (window) see if the stutter stops

another with nvidia is to set the power management mode to max performance in case the card is lowering at the wrong time

Click image link nvidia power mode

Edited by OwenBrooks

On 4/16/2023 at 3:29 AM, LordRage_ said:

But is the graphics card or any CPU cores hitting 100% when this problem is occurring? It doesn’t have to over heat to stress the hardware.

Also, which version of the AMD graphics driver are you using? 

And how many screens do you have setup & how are they setup? 

As an example, I run 3 screens myself, but because my graphics card only has 2 DP & 2 HDMI ports, I have to use an adapter on one & it means I can’t run the game at my monitors rated 165hz. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because I remember being able to at least play warzones with no stuttering whatsoever when the game came out and for many years after. wth happened? I have 6 processors and deselecting 2 of them with process lasso kindaaaa worked but not... In this day and age I can only play solo because the game runs like bantha poodoo

• Sad 1

On 4/10/2023 at 3:46 PM, MortenJessen said:

And since no human can see the difference between 60 fps and 200 fps, I am a happy panda.

Tell me you haven't played with a 144hz monitor without telling me. 

Difference is like night and day, playing with a 144hz monitor for some time and then switching back to 60 is like going back from 60 to 30.

And yeah, back then people said the same, "humans can't see 60 FPS" 

Absolute BS.

Edited by Codename_Force
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 1:00 AM, felleto said:

I'm bumping this thread because I remember being able to at least play warzones with no stuttering whatsoever when the game came out and for many years after. wth happened? I have 6 processors and deselecting 2 of them with process lasso kindaaaa worked but not... In this day and age I can only play solo because the game runs like bantha poodoo

Same here, pvp got worse for me since 7.3

Have tried so many things along the years, nothing has managed to permanently fix the performance issues.

Only fully disabling shadows seems to actually help most of the time., but still, frame drops are present.

I thought with 64-bit, the game was supposed to fully utilize our hardware. Why is it still using max 20% of my 8 cores? It's ridiculous.

Is the upcoming DirectX 12 finally gonna force the game to use at least 4 cores?

Edited by Ritsi
  • Like 1

I tend to compare SWTOR to WOW (graphics wise). They may not look pretty but they should run smoothly. Wow runs smooth as butter in a potato machine, but Swtor damn why is it sooo poorly optimized. The graphics are not the most realistic you know... And god forbid I try to open a menu (like legacy storage or even the character sheet), instant frame drop.

Maybe BS can work on optimizing the game now...

Edit: We can barely get the launcher working without jumping through hoops. Aiaiai

Edited by felleto
  • Like 1