I want my Very Low Graphics settings back!!

Toraak

Agreed. These graphic settings make it extremely hard on my eyes that already struggle with cataracts.. Not being able to adjust the brightness and contrast separately? I may be forced to cancel my subscription, which would suck because I just came back less than a month ago after a three year break. I was just getting back into the swing of things.

Please fix this for those of us on low end machines.

• Like 4

Agreed. 

It's not a performance issue, it's an aesthetics issue with me.  I really, really like the looks of things with the very low shaders better. 

The low and high settings makes things too dark and shiny for my tastes.  All the clothes look plastic now (something I noticed way back with Dragon Age.  The plastic look to faces and clothers with higher graphics settings).

I can see how the 'too dark' bit could be an accessability issue too.

FYI: you can turn the shaders right off if you tweak the client settings (users->[name]->appdata->local->swtor->swtor)

change

ShaderSet = 0 (the setting for low in the game)

to

ShaderSet = 1

It's not the old 'very low' setting unfortunatly.  Things will look off compared to pre-update, but if you can't see properly with the in-game low shader setting then it might help.

• Like 4

I hope they do bring back low graphics or turn brightness up for low graphics.  I have vision problems that makes it hard to see in the dark.  All of my games I turn brightness up.  My computer can run ultra graphics but it was too dark so I ran very low so I could see.  I was running gods and had to follow groups name plates to get around.  I went to odessen and outside it was ok, could see a little better but then went indoors and very dark.  I've had my graphics on low for 2ish years and then today it's too dark.  I can't believe it's something in my settings (computer/monitor) that is the problem.

I would be very sad if I couldn't play this game cause of not being able to see.  My favorite part of the game is raiding and would hate to not be able to do that.  Please Bioware, please fix!!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, PLeahC said:

I'm just curious what specs these low end machines are because it seems you need 12gb ram to run SWTOR now which is a big jump from 4gb. 

Personally My machine can handle Ultra with no problems. I find the graphics to be much Brighter and generally speaking better on the Very Low setting. The darkness of the current setting for me makes this game unplayable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just repeating that it isn't a performance issue with most of us. 

Things just looked better with the very low shader setting, and were easier on the eyes. 

I didn't think it was a vision issue with me, but after playing the game for a couple of hours with the low shader setting and running an operation, yeah, it's a vision issue too.  Too freaking dark for comfort.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HavocNation said:

YOu must be playing on a computer from the 90s....everything is maxed for me i get a billion fps and my computer is like 5 years old at this point

Your assuming it's about FPS, it's not. FPS means nothing to me. My PC is from 2020, and can easily handle ultra, I dislike the higher graphics settings, because of how dark they are.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Toraak said:

Your assuming it's about FPS, it's not. FPS means nothing to me. My PC is from 2020, and can easily handle ultra, I dislike the higher graphics settings, because of how dark they are.

change your settings? Change your monitors settings that just seems silly

7 minutes ago, HavocNation said:

My Monitor settings are all the way up on Brightness thank you. The simple truth is BW should have never removed the option for the Very Low settings.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HavocNation said:

Changing the monitor settings would affect every program I use.  You suggestion is basically "ruin everything else so swtor looks good'.  THAT is the silly suggestion.

If you do not understand an issue, please do not mock it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Toraak said:

With the removal of the Very Low graphics the game is way to dark, even with the in game Gamma up to 100%. Please give us back the option for the Very Low settings for those that may actually prefer them.

In the mean time, can you adjust the gamma, brightness & contrast on your monitor(s) to see better? I had to do that with my old graphics card cause it made the game really dark.

You can also try adjusting your individual graphics card settings for the game. You can do this for both AMD & nVidia cards. 

Hopefully BioWare are reading this thread & will make some changes to the gamma & contrast settings in the game itself. 

Sadly, I don’t think they even considered people with bad eyesight would be affected. It’s an obvious oversight, but something they can fix if the community can get them to listen. 

• Like 1

I don't remember noticing the darkness when I gave the 64-bit client a quick spin on the PTS.  Maybe it was because I wasn't in spaces whose looks are extremely familiar to me, like my personal strongholds.  I wouldn't say that I notice it everywhere, even now.  But in spaces that I would've previously described as "atmospheric," it's now often quite hard to make out details due to the increased darkness.  For the record, I'd have reasonably high settings. 

Thanks to others for posting about this, as I would've questioned if I was imagining this.

16 hours ago, Toraak said:

With the removal of the Very Low graphics the game is way to dark, even with the in game Gamma up to 100%. Please give us back the option for the Very Low settings for those that may actually prefer them.

I'm just happy I've done the datacron in Ossus? (I think), where we had to do the jumping puzzle in a dark cave. I would still be doing it without Very Low settings...

For the people who still need to do it, tough luck for you guys. :(

I got the popcorn going. Can't wait to hear everyone's complaints should the game ever move to DirectX 10. You'll lose your collective mind if that ever happens, the game's appearance would be completely different. True high contrast shading, completely reworked lighting... yeah.

I welcome the removal of the low level graphics settings because to me it means EA might be moving in the direction of providing some long-sought after graphical upgrades.

Go Bioware!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Renata_Roselli said:

It's the year 2023, if you need to play SWTOR on low settings, you shouldn't be playing at all. The game literally runs on an Etch A Sketch.

2 hours ago, xordevoreaux said:

I got the popcorn going. Can't wait to hear everyone's complaints should the game ever move to DirectX 10. You'll lose your collective mind if that ever happens, the game's appearance would be completely different. True high contrast shading, completely reworked lighting... yeah.

I welcome the removal of the low level graphics settings because to me it means EA might be moving in the direction of providing some long-sought after graphical upgrades.

Go Bioware!

Read the thread.  It's not a performance issue, it's an accessablity issue.  It's nice that you have no vision problems, but stop applauding Bioware for making things harder for those who do.

Edited by LD_Little_Dragon
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1