A one time pass code to log into the game?

YaddleTwo

I've had to use a one time pass-code to log into the forums and website here since... well a long long time, but it's never asked me to wait for one to log into the game. I logged in normally on Tuesday but just now i had to wait for a one time pass code to be sent. Is this a new thing? Also if it is it kinda stinks because sometimes i just want to log in quick, get the daily for login in and log quickly

55 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

It happens sometimes.  If you get a security key app (any TOTP authenticator will do), you can completely remove the need to ever wait for single-use password emails.  And get 100 CCs a month extra.

Of course, then you have to put an extra password in every freakin time - hardly helps with quick log ins. 😁

OP: The One Time Password is normally asked for if the system detects a change in you IP address or sometimes a change in hardware. The IP address can change if you (or a hacker) try to log in from a 'new' location such as school versus home, etc, or if your ISP does not put a long enough 'hold' on your IP.

Sometimes it can also change if you upgrade and/or replace your computer's hardware - especially the motherboard. Sometimes it will change because of maintenance/upgrades at the ISP. 

Edited by JediQuaker

8 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

Of course, then you have to put an extra password in every freakin time - hardly helps with quick log ins. 😁

OP: The One Time Password is normally asked for if the system detects a change in you IP address or sometimes a change in hardware. The IP address can change if you (or a hacker) try to log in from a 'new' location such as school versus home, etc, or if your ISP does not put a long enough 'hold' on your IP.

Sometimes it can also change if you upgrade and/or replace your computer's hardware - especially the motherboard. Sometimes it will change because of maintenance/upgrades at the ISP. 

Yeah nothing has changed since last summer when i had to get a new hard drive that's the odd thing. I mean to post this i had to wait a few minutes for a code to get emailed.

And as long as i keep this browser open i can log in and out however if i close this browser and open a 'new one' it'll ask me to wait for a one time use code again lol 

Also i always play on the same pc in the same spot. I logged in like once from another location just to check something right quick but that was years ago.

But i've never had the game itself ask me.

9 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

It happens sometimes.  If you get a security key app (any TOTP authenticator will do), you can completely remove the need to ever wait for single-use password emails.  And get 100 CCs a month extra.

Like i alluded to, i am way too lazy for that if it can eb avoided, now if some cookies popped of a replicator... oh wait wrong franchise 😜