Star Wars Fallen Order

Ardrossan

I saw a notification that this game is now on sale for 90% off. Previously it's been on sale quite often at Steam for 60, 75, 80 percent, but this might be rock bottom enough that I'd buy it (meanwhile RDR2 still costs $30 even on sale 😔). Wondering if anyone has played the game and is it any good? How does it compare to swtor? Assume that I'm pretty bad at combat (this game has really warped my ability to play difficult content lol). Do you think there's a reason why it's so incredibly cheap all the time?

1 hour ago, Ardrossan said:

Wondering if anyone has played the game and is it any good?

Yes, it's absolutely superb in every way. ( assuming you actually like STAR WARS )

How does it compare to swtor?

Comparison wouldn't be fair, since  SWTOR  is designed as MMO group-play and is  also 11-13 years old ( game-engine,  development, graphics, etc. ) .

Although i will say this:  First, if only SWTOR had such immersive  Lightsaber Construction  , instead of  Cartel Market  empty meaningless re-skinned hilts x infinity.  -- And secondly, after playing  'Fallen Order' , it's very easy to see where EA places  most/all of it's  funding$   instead of here into SWTOR . :(

I'm pretty bad at combat

You probably won't enjoy it  unless you play on 'story' easy mode then.

Do you think there's a reason why it's so incredibly cheap all the time?

It's simply because it came out in 2019 and the newer sequel  'Jedi Survivor' is coming out in a couple weeks.

Edited by Nee-Elder
  • Like 1

I enjoyed it a great deal and I'm not steeped in Star Wars lore. .What I mean to say is even if you are not steeped in Star Wars lore it is a solid adventure in its own right. The plot is solid, the voice acting is superb and the graphics are pretty cool.

But...and it's a big ole Hutt Butt! 😉

There are a lot of jumping puzzle / mechanics. If you don't like platforming games, it may not be for you. Given that it is so cheap now, though, you should give it a try. Just know that it requires a fair amount of precise timing on walls, ropes, etc. to move to next stage.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

1 hour ago, Nee-Elder said:

Although i will say this:  First, if only SWTOR had such immersive  Lightsaber Construction  , instead of  Cartel Market  empty meaningless re-skinned hilts x infinity.  -- And secondly, after playing  'Fallen Order' , it's very easy to see where EA places  most/all of it's  funding$   instead of here into SWTOR . :(

You probably won't enjoy it  unless you play on 'story' easy mode then.

Thanks. It's good to know that a) crafting system is so good and b) there actually is an ez mode. I've heard that it's similar to dark souls which is definitely out of my league.

28 minutes ago, Jdast said:

There are a lot of jumping puzzle / mechanics. If you don't like platforming games, it may not be for you. Given that it is so cheap now, though, you should give it a try. Just know that it requires a fair amount of precise timing on walls, ropes, etc. to move to next stage.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

This is also very good to know. I hate platforming. I suffered it for Andromeda recently but it was a pain. Still, unlike MEA it actually makes sense that your Jedi would be acrobatic, like Starkiller. 

Thanks for the feedback y'all, it really helps. I think i probably will buy it, it's not the price after all, it's the time investment. But it beats replaying the SI story for the eighth time (no exaggeration). 

It will take a bit of time to learn the basics of combat because it requires some timing to parry and block attacks. Good thing is that you can rebind and customize your input. I find it easier on a controller vs keyboard and mouse. That aside, if you are familiar with the Uncharted series of games then that will give you an idea of how traversal works in this game. The story is rather good. No spoilers, so all I'll say is it takes places after Order 66. As for why is it so cheap? Well, it's sequel is about to be released pretty soon and I gather they are about to ramp up the hype before release and a perfect way to do so is by making this game very accessible.  Play Fallen Order as a refresher and then jump right in to Survivor. 

Edited by TonyTricicolo

5 hours ago, Nireos said:

So if you play it on a PC, you should have a controller and not use keyboard/mouse.

i played it using keyboard/mouse mostly on 'master' level ( mostly ) and did just fine.

To Each His Own  though.

5 hours ago, Nireos said:

It is on sale because the second one just released.

You are slightly incorrect there.  As i mentioned in my 1st reply above ^  , the new sequel  doesn't come out until  APRIL.  ( it was delayed, iirc )

p.s.  If  EA  invested even half the 'Fallen Order/Jedi Survivor'  developers & resource$ into SWTOR , this game could thrive for another 5 years.   But i'm guessing they probably figure  what's the point with  Ubisoft  open-world SW quasi-MMO  soon approaching. :cool:

Edited by Nee-Elder

5 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

i played it using keyboard/mouse mostly on 'master' level ( mostly ) and did just fine.

To Each His Own  though.

You are slightly incorrect there.  As i mentioned in my 1st reply above ^  , the new sequel  doesn't come out until  APRIL.  ( it was delayed, iirc )

p.s.  If  EA  invested even half the 'Fallen Order/Jedi Survivor'  developers & resource$ into SWTOR , this game could thrive for another 5 years.   But i'm guessing they probably figure  what's the point with  Ubisoft  open-world SW quasi-MMO  soon approaching. :cool:

That's good to know because I'm playing on PC. 

Yeah I'm a little puzzled by the responses that it's became the game is coming out soon. It's been on sale, for pretty deep sale cuts, for at least a year. As I mentioned in the OP, I've been waiting for RDR2, a much older game, to have a comparable sale price and it never has. When you see games that regularly sell for $55 priced for $5-10 it raises eyebrows imo. 

I'm also a little confused by the funding differences. It's obvious for awhile that swtor isn't funded very well and constantly on the verge of shutdown (not that BW would tell us until the literal last minute) but it's weird when they do things like change the forum or update the engine, update character creation as if they plan that it will be around for a long time...but no money going into stuff that would actually make the gameplay better. 

On 3/17/2023 at 10:57 AM, Ardrossan said:

That's good to know because I'm playing on PC.

Anyone  know why the game worked flawlessly ( literally zero crashes ) for hours/days/weeks  and then all of a sudden last nite  i'm randomly started getting this  dreaded  "LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line: 200] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost."  crash to desktop ?

I googled that error of course but , just like with most PC troubleshooting issues, the "solutions" from EA aren't helpful and the replies from other users are all over the place.

And no, it couldn't have anything to do with  "updating video drivers"  nor with  "updating DirectX"  since again: The game has worked  absolutely flawless PERFECT  on the exact same computer with exact same setup  for many hours/days in a row....until now.

Makes no sense imo .   And btw, the crash error doesn't happen at any particular spot nor level nor location.  It's totally  random, after a random amount of time, etc.

11 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

Anyone  know why the game worked flawlessly ( literally zero crashes ) for hours/days/weeks  and then all of a sudden last nite  i'm randomly started getting this  dreaded  "LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line: 200] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost."  crash to desktop ?

I googled that error of course but , just like with most PC troubleshooting issues, the "solutions" from EA aren't helpful and the replies from other users are all over the place.

And no, it couldn't have anything to do with  "updating video drivers"  nor with  "updating DirectX"  since again: The game has worked  absolutely flawless PERFECT  on the exact same computer with exact same setup  for many hours/days in a row....until now.

Makes no sense imo .   And btw, the crash error doesn't happen at any particular spot nor level nor location.  It's totally  random, after a random amount of time, etc.

Excess dust in your PC's fans causing it to overheat?

2 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Excess dust in your PC's fans causing it to overheat?

i guess that's possible  @SteveTheCynic , so i'll go check it soon and also monitor GPU temp yeah....

Meanwhile, on a related (and strange) note, i coincidentally started getting these weird  'xo' pixel symbols  happening in SWTOR --> https://i.imgur.com/s64XVTp.jpg

( i forgot to mention how those weird  'xo' pixel symbols  also appeared onto my computer desktop  after the aforementioned  Fallen Order  *crash*  )

Edited by Nee-Elder

9 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

i guess that's possible  @SteveTheCynic , so i'll go check it soon and also monitor GPU temp yeah....

Meanwhile, on a related (and strange) note, i coincidentally started getting these weird  'xo' pixel symbols  happening in SWTOR --> https://i.imgur.com/s64XVTp.jpg

( i forgot to mention how those weird  'xo' pixel symbols  also appeared onto my computer desktop  after the aforementioned  Fallen Order  *crash*  )

When I say "I probably will buy it" I'm glad I didn't actually buy it at that time lol.

Do you have the EA App installed? Do you need it to run the game? I've noticed that some EA games that used to run through origin may require the app, and it kicks in at random times despite being released in 2021, and it can have weird intersections with the game; MEA kept crashing with the app until I found a workaround.  

On 3/21/2023 at 11:15 AM, Ardrossan said:

Do you have the EA App installed? Do you need it to run the game? I've noticed that some EA games that used to run through origin may require the app, and it kicks in at random times despite being released in 2021,

Unfortunately,  the issue i'm experiencing is totally unrelated to the EA app .  ( you can indeed play certain installed games without either Steam or EA app )

*If you Google  "Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost"  , you'll see the situation isn't necessarily isolated to  SW Fallen Order.

-----

hey @SteveTheCynic (and whomever else is following this thread ) :  It actually ended up being a  faulty/failing  VIDEO CARD ( hardware failure ) and so i had to replace with different  vid card.   Crazy coincidence....aka the wonders of computers troubleshootings. :csw_jabbapet:

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: supposedly known issue, yet very hard to "fix" cuz of Unreal Engine flaw + PC variables

On 3/21/2023 at 7:23 PM, Nee-Elder said:

hey @SteveTheCynic (and whomever else is following this thread ) :  It actually ended up being a  faulty/failing  VIDEO CARD ( hardware failure ) and so i had to replace with different  vid card.   Crazy coincidence....aka the wonders of computers troubleshootings. :csw_jabbapet:

Well, that sucks.  Glad to hear you've got a spare (or could get a new one quickly), and that it was a relatively simple fix.  (And that it wasn't a failing GPU in a laptop, which is a little harder to replace...)

I'm a big time Star Wars fan, and buy every Star Wars game ever made. Jedi Fallen Order is one of the worst Star Wars games ever made since EA's Battlefront 1 IMHO.

The game is extremely lackluster, and the planets are extremely linear.

I did a 100% on my save file. I can safely say most of the gameplay has been padded with scavenger hunts for skins. It has no replay value. I stopped playing it in the first few weeks of its release after getting 100% and have only returned once to try out the Fight Arena mode, and then haven't came back since.

However, if it's on sale, I'd still recommend buying it. That's because, like I said, I buy them all. So good or bad, it's going to my collection.

Personally I love it, its more akin to Sekiro in Star Wars than Dark Souls since the game is all about parrying. Story is short but rather enjoyable and I'm surprised by how much I ended up caring about the the characters. My biggest complaints are about the exploration of the game, I personally found it rather tedious which isn't helped by the fact the game lacks a fast-travel system and that the map system is rather obtuse.