Overclocking

Monhnich

In my humble opinion I think is totally fair. I mean if a players build its own gaming pc then why not overclock in order to have an advantage over other players. After all is your money. Yes the average consumer cannot keep up with your sophisticated Pc, but to each of their own. Solos and Premades do it all the time. Not everyone of course, but if you can afford to do it then do it..

What happens when a player overclocks? Well, the frames per second is a whole lot faster than average player. Like an amateur v. an athlete on Enhancement Performance (ONes that would get you in trouble} #justsaying

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Monhnich said:

In my humble opinion I think is totally fair. I mean if a players build its own gaming pc then why not overclock in order to have an advantage over other players. After all is your money. Yes the average consumer cannot keep up with your sophisticated Pc, but to each of their own. Solos and Premades do it all the time. Not everyone of course, but if you can afford to do it then do it..

What happens when a player overclocks? Well, the frames per second is a whole lot faster than average player. Like an amateur v. an athlete on Enhancement Performance (ONes that would get you in trouble} #justsaying

I don’t think you quite grasp what overclocking is or does for a PC game, especially in a game as old as this. 
Unless you’re running a potato PC at 2ghz & an integrated GPU, overclocking a mid performance or even high performance PC will only get you a minor boost in performance at max settings. And to be fair, you can always turn down your graphics settings & get a better performance boost than overclocking your PC will ever provide.

I'm not entirely sure what the OP is responding to. Overclocking your PC isn't in the category of things that could be judged for fairness, because it's not that kind of thing. The only person you can say it would give you a performance advantage over is yourself from before you did it, and since there isn't a 1v1 Time Traveller Warzone, that doesn't seem likely to be a problem.

As it is, all systems are different anyway. If I were to overclock my ten year old machine, I'd probably wring slightly better performance out of it for its last years (at the price of potentially shortening those last years) ... but it's still not going to deliver performance to match some two or three year old custom built gaming PC, any more than my forty-two year old and sub-par even when new reflexes and reaction times are going to match some hyperactive spacebar crazed teenager with the reaction speed and attention span of a whippet on speed in the first place. 

Now, to be sure, if you start out with a top of the line brand new custom built gaming PC, and overclock that, you'll probably get some pretty impressive performance if you a) know what you're doing, and b) don't take it too far and burn the thing out, but... even so, all you're doing is artificially accelerating it to the level of a notionally slightly better PC

Note also that most modern CPUs have some form of "hyper-boost" technology that automatically boosts processor speed depending upon load. SWTOR only uses 2 or 3 cores/threads and tends to run at the boosted speed most of the time. "Overclocking" would just lock these processors into a 'boosted' state, but produce very little extra performance.

Turning off "vsync" would be better.

Edited by JediQuaker