100% CPU CORE USAGE WHEN ANY CARGO HOLDS ARE OPEN

TrixxieTriss

Something I’ve noticed today is one of my CPU cores goes to 100% & stays there while ever I have a Legacy, Guild or normal Cargo hold open. It’s always the same core (12) that does this.

This is causing my CPU cooler fans to go into over drive to keep the temps down. 

Im not moving around, I just have a cargo hold open. As soon as I close it, the CPU core usage drops to zero.

Has anyone else come across this issue.

My system is basically a brand new build I finished putting together in December.

AMD 5800x CPU, AMD RX 6700 XT, 32GB Ram, SSD.

Edit: I’d like to add it does exactly the same thing when ever I’m on the fleet too. 

I’ve discovered it also happens when opening up the Legacy panel. (This needs more investigating. I will keep editing this post as I find more).

Edited by TrixxieTriss
Extra info
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Something I’ve noticed today is one of my CPU cores goes to 100% & stays there while ever I have a Legacy, Guild or normal Cargo hold open.

Im not moving around, I just have a cargo hold open. As soon as I close it, the CPU core usage drops to zero.

Has anyone else come across this issue.

Yep , i sorta talked about it here a few weeks ago--> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/927261-lag-or-does-the-game-freeze/?do=findComment&comment=9738765

Must be some type of  *server lag* maybe when it has to LOAD all those items in bank(s)  for the 1st time ?

48 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

Yep , i sorta talked about it here a few weeks ago--> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/927261-lag-or-does-the-game-freeze/?do=findComment&comment=9738765

Must be some type of  *server lag* maybe when it has to LOAD all those items in bank(s)  for the 1st time ?

Nah, it’s at 100% even if there is nothing in the cargo hold & it doesn’t matter how long you have it opened for.

Plus it’s only one core doing it. The rest of the cores act normally & their load goes up down as you’d expect. 

It’s client side as well. I think theyve put in some bad code. 

29 minutes ago, sharpenedstick said:

Cargo holds have had performance issues since launch. Don't expect a fix, unless they sell bug fixes on the cartel market.

This is different to past issues. I would like to know if anyone else is tracking a similar problem as mine while using an AMD system. 

4 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

This is different to past issues. I would like to know if anyone else is tracking a similar problem as mine while using an AMD system. 

It isn't just AMD systems.  My Intel+NVidia system (i9 10980XE, RTX 2080Ti) does something very similar, for Cargo Hold, Legacy Storage, Guild Bank and the in-ship repair vendor.  (Although it was CPUs 18 and 29 on Task Manager, not just 12.)

It is definitely the Storage/Vendor window that does it, not the Inventory window, and definitely not other windows like e.g. the map.

53 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

It isn't just AMD systems.  My Intel+NVidia system (i9 10980XE, RTX 2080Ti) does something very similar, for Cargo Hold, Legacy Storage, Guild Bank and the in-ship repair vendor.  (Although it was CPUs 18 and 29 on Task Manager, not just 12.)

It is definitely the Storage/Vendor window that does it, not the Inventory window, and definitely not other windows like e.g. the map.

Agreed, it’s not the inventory window, it’s the storage window. Do you have any theories as to what’s causing it? 

Are your 2 cores going to 100% usage as soon as you open the cargo windows? My CPU temp goes up & so does the voltage. My AIO water cooler goes into overdrive to keep the temps below 80’c. But I’m concerned that accidentally leaving that window open too long might damage the system.

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Agreed, it’s not the inventory window, it’s the storage window. Do you have any theories as to what’s causing it? 

Unfortunately, I'm *completely* stumped for the character storage and the legacy storage and the vendor.  The guild storage I can vaguely see if they designed it wrongly so the client polls the storage for changes made by other players (that's severely bogus in its own right - the client should ask the server for "push" notifications when another guild member puts stuff in or out), but there might have been a mis-design that makes the other three types (character storage, legacy storage, and vendor) poll the server for changes, since those three can't change because of what the character is doing unless you're actually putting stuff in or out.  OK, technically, an action on your character *can* change what's in a <Cantina Vendor>, because the food items are level-specific, and it's conceivable that you open the vendor and then (with the vendor open) accept some mission rewards and level up, but the client should ask for a refresh when the character levels up, not all the time.

In any event, it's definitely a case of incorrect design.

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Are your 2 cores going to 100% usage as soon as you open the cargo windows? My CPU temp goes up & so does the voltage. My AIO water cooler goes into overdrive to keep the temps below 80’c. But I’m concerned that accidentally leaving that window open too long might damage the system.

They don't peg at 100%, but there's a clear transition from about 50-60% to almost 100% when I open the storage or the vendor, and a clear transition back to 50-60% when I close it.

The only risk is an increase in mechanical wear on the bearings in the AIO motors and pumps, and in the fans.  Both Intel and AMD have included thermal protection circuitry in CPUs for ages (Intel starting with the Pentium IV, AMD a bit later), and that circuitry just slows the CPU to reduce heat production.  (In extreme cases, it might even stop the CPU, but in any event it won't die because of the heat.)  I believe that current GPUs have similar protection circuitry.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

10 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

The only risk is an increase in mechanical wear on the bearings in the AIO motors and pumps, and in the fans. 

My fans sound like the PC is about to take off. It’s really annoying because 90% of the time I don’t even hear my PC at all. Then I open a cargo hold & it’s like  a jet engine taking off. 

That's weird.  My PC (the one with the i9)(1) is mostly silent(2), and SWTOR isn't nearly "hot" enough to get the fans(2) up to an audible level *at*all*.  When BOINC is running at full whack, some fans (not sure which) are clearly audible, but not at "about to launch itself into the stratosphere" level.

(1) I also have a pair of 2011-era potatoes, one of which belonged to the late Mrs Cynic, but they are also mostly silent.(3)

(2) Including an AIO CPU fan and a GPU with ridiculous numbers of fans.

(3) Well, the one that was mine seems to have a (...)ed bearing in one of its fans, and makes an audible noise even on idle, but it spends about 167 hours a week switched off.

39 minutes ago, SteveTheCynic said:

That's weird.  My PC (the one with the i9)(1) is mostly silent(2), and SWTOR isn't nearly "hot" enough to get the fans(2) up to an audible level *at*all*.  When BOINC is running at full whack, some fans (not sure which) are clearly audible, but not at "about to launch itself into the stratosphere" level.

(1) I also have a pair of 2011-era potatoes, one of which belonged to the late Mrs Cynic, but they are also mostly silent.(3)

(2) Including an AIO CPU fan and a GPU with ridiculous numbers of fans.

(3) Well, the one that was mine seems to have a (...)ed bearing in one of its fans, and makes an audible noise even on idle, but it spends about 167 hours a week switched off.

It only happens when I open the cargo holds & core 12 goes to 100% usage. Otherwise I never hear the AIO fans, only the GPU when the PC boots.

I can’t work out why it’s only core 12 in swtor. None of my other games have this issue. For some reason swtor cargo holds have an affinity for core 12. 

So I checked out my wife’s PC & my sisters. Both running Intel CPU’s (both are 4 core / 8 thread CPU’s)

When opening cargo holds on their accounts, CPU core 7 load jumps up to 95% and fluctuates between 80-95% till it’s closed. 

That is similar, but also different to what’s happening on my AMD 5800X CPU.

The load on my CPU core 12 goes to 100%, with no dips or fluctuations. Which leads me to believe this is affecting AMD systems more. 

Would love to hear from any other AMD system users regarding this to see if it’s just my system doing this or it’s more wide spread. 

If you aren’t sure how to track the individual CPU core usage, just ask. 

Question...

Are you running in "Windowed" mode or "Full Screen"

And are you running Windows 11.

I am currently in the game now while I am writing this and checked my system.
I have a much older Intel i7 8700K (Coffee Lake) CPU, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GTX750-Ti, running Windows 10 Pro in Full screen. With ALL cargo holds open that the game will allow me to have open at the same time. I DO NOT run into a processor pegging at 100%. In fact the highest load I see as only about 56%.

Edited by denavin

2 hours ago, denavin said:

Question...

I have a much older Intel i7 8700K (Coffee Lake) CPU, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GTX750-Ti, running Windows 10 Pro in Full screen. With ALL cargo holds open that the game will allow me to have open at the same time. I DO NOT run into a processor pegging at 100%. In fact the highest load I see as only about 56%.

Full screen using 3 monitors as I have been for 11 years. But I tested with one monitor too & had the same result.

Currently using Windows 10. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

3 hours ago, denavin said:

Question...

Is the load spread across the cores or is it mainly focusing on a few? Also how many tabs have you activated in your cargo holds? I forget to say I have all tabs available to use & most are full. 

My wife’s PC is my old i7 7700k + GTX 1080 + 16GB Ram & my sisters is i7 4790k + GTX 1660Ti + 16GB. Both have all cargo tabs available too. We all run the same Windows 10 build & play with 3 monitors in full screen. 

As more anecdotal evidence comes in, I’m starting to think this is 2 seperate issues culminating to cause my issue.

1. All cargo tabs available & full.
2. AMD driver or poorly optimised swtor code for AMD Ryzen CPUs.

Would still love to hear from any other AMD Ryzen users to see if they are experiencing something similar. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I have a ryzen 5600 + rx6600 + 16GB Ram on windows 10 did some testing, fullscreen plus all tabs full ramped several cores to a max of 95% on core 12 but on fullscreen windowed which is what I use that doesn't happen it goes at 30% max. In this case the fullscreen is the problem.

7 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

I keep meaning to check on this, but I haven't been in-game in about a week. 🤔

i5-6600 running in Fullscreen(windowed) mode. My overall CPU usage doesn't change when I open Legacy/cargo storage. (Task Manager)

For some reason, my hardware monitor is not working, so I can't observe individual cores at the moment.

17 minutes ago, JediQuaker said:

i5-6600 running in Fullscreen(windowed) mode. My overall CPU usage doesn't change when I open Legacy/cargo storage. (Task Manager)

For some reason, my hardware monitor is not working, so I can't observe individual cores at the moment.

I’m becoming more & more convinced this is an AMD ryzen issue. But I need some AMD users to engage and this thread to find out. 

5 hours ago, KyraMalakai said:

I have a ryzen 5600 + rx6600 + 16GB Ram on windows 10 did some testing, fullscreen plus all tabs full ramped several cores to a max of 95% on core 12 but on fullscreen windowed which is what I use that doesn't happen it goes at 30% max. In this case the fullscreen is the problem.

I’ll have to test not using full screen & see what happens. Thanks for the reply 

On 3/7/2023 at 12:40 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

Is the load spread across the cores or is it mainly focusing on a few? Also how many tabs have you activated in your cargo holds? I forget to say I have all tabs available to use & most are full. 

My wife’s PC is my old i7 7700k + GTX 1080 + 16GB Ram & my sisters is i7 4790k + GTX 1660Ti + 16GB. Both have all cargo tabs available too. We all run the same Windows 10 build & play with 3 monitors in full screen. 

As more anecdotal evidence comes in, I’m starting to think this is 2 seperate issues culminating to cause my issue.

1. All cargo tabs available & full.
2. AMD driver or poorly optimised swtor code for AMD Ryzen CPUs.

Would still love to hear from any other AMD Ryzen users to see if they are experiencing something similar. 

Load is primarily on 2 cores 4 threads.

Tabs are maxed and most of my Cargo holds are near to or completely full.

My newer Asus laptop has an AMD Ryzen CPU. I don't have the programs to monitor my CPU's load but I never notice any slow down or lag when my Cargo Holds are open.

Not sure what is going on but I have never run into an instance where my CPU pegged at 100%.

Now my GTX 750Ti GPU does max out all the time. But I can regulate that with settings when necessary.

6 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I’m becoming more & more convinced this is an AMD ryzen issue. But I need some AMD users to engage and this thread to find out. 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core Processor              3.79 GHz

IT escapes me.  If you can tell me what to do or how to look, I will.

20 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

Right-click on the CPU performance graph and under the "Change graph to" submenu, choose "Logical Processors".  The graph changes to one graph per core, or two graphs per core if your CPU is hyperthreaded (or the AMD equivalent).

• Thanks 1