Don't add credit sinks that hurt new players

StrikePrice

I think they should completely nuke the economy, wipe accounts, including legacy bank, guild bank, credits-in-hand, and escrow. All of it. Tie it to an event with a rep vendor: the hutt cartel has gone bankrupt, with players investigating and learning that a) it's true and b) hutts are also fleeing with billions.

Perhaps the actual gameplay could be similar to the swoop event or feast of prosperity, some kind of minigame that the hutts have created to take attention away from the bank problems, with chain quests that you can follow. Make it a one-time event like Chevin. And reuse the Dark vs Light mechanic where whichever faction does the event the most will be the one that finally nationalizes the bank, i.e GTN becomes Imperial Trade Network. It's just flavour text, no special treatment for factions or anything. 

In the end, credits will have gone back to 2.0 numbers where 1M credits was a fortune. 

I have 10 billion credits in the bank (15 B split across two servers) and I would be happy to lose it all to solve the inflation problem. 

Some of you will say "oh I would quit the game if that happened." lol, if someone in fleet chat said it, I might believe it. None of y'all on this forum are going anywhere for long, regardless of the angry noises you make in the meantime. We all know it, BioWare definitely knows it which is why they do whatever they want. 

Edited by Ardrossan

24 minutes ago, Ardrossan said:

I think they should completely nuke the economy, wipe accounts, including legacy bank, guild bank, credits-in-hand, and escrow. All of it. Tie it to an event with a rep vendor: the hutt cartel has gone bankrupt, with players investigating and learning that a) it's true and b) hutts are also fleeing with billions.

Perhaps the actual gameplay could be similar to the swoop event or feast of prosperity, some kind of minigame that the hutts have created to take attention away from the bank problems, with chain quests that you can follow. Make it a one-time event like Chevin. And reuse the Dark vs Light mechanic where whichever faction does the event the most will be the one that finally nationalizes the bank, i.e GTN becomes Imperial Trade Network. It's just flavour text, no special treatment for factions or anything. 

In the end, credits will have gone back to 2.0 numbers where 1M credits was a fortune. 

I have 10 billion credits in the bank (15 B split across two servers) and I would be happy to lose it all to solve the inflation problem. 

Some of you will say "oh I would quit the game if that happened." lol, if someone in fleet chat said it, I might believe it. None of y'all on this forum are going anywhere for long, regardless of the angry noises you make in the meantime. We all know it, BioWare definitely knows it which is why they do whatever they want. 

Do this and watch how many people quit the game. Stripping people of Credits like this will not be a good choice for BW. 

Edit: Notice I never said I would quit, but I definitely would consider dropping to Preferred.

Edited by Toraak

27 minutes ago, Ardrossan said:

1 minute ago, Toraak said:

Do this and watch how many people quit the game. Stripping people of Credits like this will not be a good choice for BW. 

I think there is a middle ground. New currency, call it Neo credits, galactic credits or whatever credits. Make it like it happened to most alt currencies: announce a date and a few days early the conversion rate:

* Conversion rate should be BAD, as in you won't get same value. Example: Lets say you will remove three 0's from players credits; then current items in vendors should loose up to two 0's only.

* Have a limit to automatic conversion: up to X amount per character/legacy is converted, the rest wil be go into a blackhole.

* Provide interesting things for players to spend their credits before the announced date. That way they can avoid the bad rates and limits.

• Like 1

Just now, Balameb said:

I think there is a middle ground. New currency, call it Neo credits, galactic credits or whatever credits. Make it like it happened to most alt currencies: announce a date and a few days early the conversion rate:

* Conversion rate should be BAD, as in you won't get same value. Example: Lets say you will remove three 0's from players credits; then current items in vendors should loose up to two 0's only.

* Have a limit to automatic conversion: up to X amount per character/legacy is converted, the rest wil be go into a blackhole.

* Provide interesting things for players to spend their credits before the announced date. That way they can avoid the bad rates and limits.

The problem with even this ide is. 

How many players have purchased item's from the CM specifically to sell on the GTN to make credits? By BW removing credits from all players, that would be a giant middle finger to those that have done this (which I'm sure is a lot of people over the last 10+ years). While BW may (and I do mean MAY) need to act, I'm not sure removing credits from every player is the correct action to fix inflation.

47 minutes ago, Toraak said:

Edit: Notice I never said I would quit, but I definitely would consider dropping to Preferred.

The fact that at best you would only consider going preferred and not quitting altogether makes your threat impotent. 

36 minutes ago, Balameb said:

I think that's a great idea. 

32 minutes ago, Toraak said:

The problem with even this ide is. 

How many players have purchased item's from the CM specifically to sell on the GTN to make credits? By BW removing credits from all players, that would be a giant middle finger to those that have done this (which I'm sure is a lot of people over the last 10+ years). While BW may (and I do mean MAY) need to act, I'm not sure removing credits from every player is the correct action to fix inflation.

You want to fix inflation (maybe? lmao you can't even admit there's a problem lol) but without losing any of the credits you've built up for years and years of playing. Except that's not how it works in this game. I spent forever getting 306 armor and being told that horizontal gearing was the new standard, only to have BioWare yank that away in 7.0 and go back to the same stupid gearing system they'd already tried and failed at. Welp, nothing to be done but either quit playing or get on with the new paradigm. Yes players will whine. BioWare has shown that they are quite good at ignoring complaints, especially from the "slap in the face" crowd. 

Edited by Ardrossan

1 hour ago, Ardrossan said:

Sadly, *just* that wouldn't help.  The problem is not the *amount* in everybody's pockets that would be "stolen"(1), but the rate at which more can be acquired.

Maybe, maybe not, but there would for sure be a bunch of people who would just down tools and walk away, never to return.  Yes, I've done that before in MMORPGs.  To name a couple:

• Dofus was, in the end, too sandboxy for my taste, and *much* too plagued by gathering bots to be easily playable.  At level 135 or so, out of 200, I just dropped my sub and stopped playing.
  • ArcheAge had too much open PvP as a required element of gameplay to be worth continuing with.  I just stopped Patron payments and uninstalled the game without a word to anyone.
  • Allods Online changed almost beyond recognition as they suddenly reversed a trend of making end-game progression easier, suddenly making it much harder.  Bye.  (I would not resume now because the developers are Russian.)
  • Devilian quit me rather than the other way around, one of several which shuttered before I could quit.
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn had the annoying characteristic of mandatory group dungeons to continue the main story.
  • World of Warcraft didn't, in the end, suit my tastes.

OK, a large couple, and there are others.  Only GW2, SWTOR and ESO are left.

3 hours ago, Ardrossan said:

I have already cut back my playing time on this game to 2-3 days a week, long enough to get the conquest (on 6 characters) for my guild and then I spend the rest of my time on FFXIV.  The only reason I am still here is because of my guild and so if they leave then I will not be playing.

1 hour ago, SteveTheCynic said:
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn had the annoying characteristic of mandatory group dungeons to continue the main story.

This has been changed in FFXIV.  You now have a choice of using NPC for the dungeons that are required for the story and sometimes they are actually better than some of the actual players. (lol)

Edited by casirabit

3 hours ago, Ardrossan said:

The fact that at best you would only consider going preferred and not quitting altogether makes your threat impotent. 

I think that's a great idea. 

You want to fix inflation (maybe? lmao you can't even admit there's a problem lol) but without losing any of the credits you've built up for years and years of playing. Except that's not how it works in this game. I spent forever getting 306 armor and being told that horizontal gearing was the new standard, only to have BioWare yank that away in 7.0 and go back to the same stupid gearing system they'd already tried and failed at. Welp, nothing to be done but either quit playing or get on with the new paradigm. Yes players will whine. BioWare has shown that they are quite good at ignoring complaints, especially from the "slap in the face" crowd. 

I don't truly consider inflation that much of a problem. I admit I'm not interested in space barbie, so CM item prices don't bother me. I can easily buy anything I need to play the game at relatively reasonable levels. As for high end Augments, I'm willing to grind out the mats by hand and not waste credits on them (and I have done so with the current Gold Augs). I crafted mine after Farming the tech frags for them.

Your comments about Gearing to 306 taking forever have no merit here. BW has consistently changed how gearing has worked in this game, Not to mention, not everyone considers the current gearing system a failure. Many of the problems they had in 7.0's gearing system were fixed in 7.1. 

Now if your looking at Failed Gearing system's, look no further then 6.0 where RNG ruled and getting your character into BiS was a nightmare. At least in 7.0 and 7.1 we know exactly what we need to do to get BiS, and not have to pray to the RNG gods for luck

19 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Already-paid-for rather than free, but yes.  However, the basic bottom-tier (formerly fixed at +90% speed increase) vendor mounts are 8K for cubs, 10K for non-subs.

I remember to have to save up every penny to be able to buy a mount the moment I go to fleet.

100 out of 8K (ouch I thought it's less) is a lot when you are a new player and have nothing.

Give perks to subscribers like summon out of personal pocket, on the other hand, would be a plus. It *gives* new convenience instead of *taking* it (even if I could afford whatever the QT price will be, having a pop up window every time I use it will be f-ing annoying). In a business point of view, taking something away always piss off the customers, especially when you don't even bother to try to fake up some compensation. The QT fees is a bad business move on top of not helping the inflation issue at all. I really hope BW reconsider (and give me unlimited summon abilities. I think 100k is a fair fee that'll work nice as a small credit sink they want. Maybe even not so small considering how many summons a group could send out per hunt even with the guild summon CD time)

7 hours ago, casirabit said:

This has been changed in FFXIV.  You now have a choice of using NPC for the dungeons that are required for the story and sometimes they are actually better than some of the actual players. (lol)

OK, good to hear, but nevertheless, the mandatory (at the time) group thing was why I dropped it.

18 hours ago, Ardrossan said:

How would you feel if you spent 400 dollars on the Cartel Market, bought Hypercrates, sold those Hypercrates in game for credits, earned 100 billion credits, then the following week Bioware deleted all credits in game to reset the economy?

I personally would quit the game and issue a chargeback. A lot of other people would do the same.

Whales would quit, chargebacks would happen, SWTOR would become notorious for the devs not fixing the economy and instead deleting credits so everyone would feel less secure about spending money on the Cartel Market to earn credits.

All for what, a temporary reset that didn't actually fix the source of inflation?

19 hours ago, Ardrossan said:

Unfortunately I have agree with you, the only solution to the economic inflation of the game would be a total economic reset. I don't believe anything can fix it, or at least any actual solution that would fix the issue would have to be extreme. Now I don't see Bioware resetting the economy, mostly because of how whiny these forums would get if they did that. But I think we either accept that the inflation is going to continue being terrible, or we take the L and accept the economic reset. 

2 hours ago, FlameYOL said:

Unfortunately I have agree with you, the only solution to the economic inflation of the game would be a total economic reset. I don't believe anything can fix it, or at least any actual solution that would fix the issue would have to be extreme. Now I don't see Bioware resetting the economy, mostly because of how whiny these forums would get if they did that. But I think we either accept that the inflation is going to continue being terrible, or we take the L and accept the economic reset. 

Well..there's always two economies really. Player-Client trades and player-player. Inflation effects both. IG most drastic effect being that game turns much easier. Or rather, long term credit sink goals game has given to players turn short term goals for anyone who, say, sells materials in GTN for example. New player doing any sort of player to player trading has everything client has to offer turn into trivial matter to laugh at. Legascy unlocks? SHs?   "Oh you want this nice huge Alderaan SH kiddo? It'll cost you TEN MILLION DOLLARS!" Like..oh no! How long it takes  a completely new player to make that much once they're on 3rd or 4th planet or something? Ding conquest target., sell some mats you gathered, sell the encryption, you're done.

On the flipside, you're not gonna be able to afford decorating  that thing  like.ever. In fact, any new player who loves decoing is best off making one man guild and deco the guild SH, thanks to /copy being so powerful. Its a weird state of matters really.

Inflation would matter much less if BW gave players tools for coping with it. For some reason or another, they've chosen not to do so. It is insane they've not done anything to help keep GTN relevant. No high end items get sold there anymore.

Edited by Stradlin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, remylion said:

How would you feel if you spent 400 dollars on the Cartel Market, bought Hypercrates, sold those Hypercrates in game for credits, earned 100 billion credits, then the following week Bioware deleted all credits in game to reset the economy?

I personally would quit the game and issue a chargeback. A lot of other people would do the same.

Whales would quit, chargebacks would happen, SWTOR would become notorious for the devs not fixing the economy and instead deleting credits so everyone would feel less secure about spending money on the Cartel Market to earn credits.

All for what, a temporary reset that didn't actually fix the source of inflation?

How would you feel if you bought ten character transfers and the week after they changed it to 90CC? Or how would you feel if the week after that they announced that they were combining servers, making your transfers totally unnecessary? Or how would you feel if you unlocked a bunch of stuff in collections and they immediately announce a collections sale? I've seen all these get raised on the forum and every time the person who overpaid asks for a refund. No you can't get a damn refund. You were unlucky, too bad for you. Same goes for this. Yes, you can quit, or say you're going to quit anyway, and BioWare will carry on because it turns out you weren't carrying the game on your shoulders, bud. 

You might think I sound very arrogant dismissing your concerns, but I personally don't disagree that your concerns are valid. I'm merely reflecting BioWare's arrogance. I'm sure they're very used to players attempting chargebacks at this point, and I would assume that given how confident they are that they can bulldoze through feedback and PTS and ignore player objections, that they have policies in place to circumvent your financial threats. 

How would you feel if you bought ten character transfers and the week after they changed it to 90CC? Or how would you feel if the week after that they announced that they were combining servers, making your transfers totally unnecessary? Or how would you feel if you unlocked a bunch of stuff in collections and they immediately announce a collections sale? I've seen all these get raised on the forum and every time the person who overpaid asks for a refund. No you can't get a damn refund. You were unlucky, too bad for you. Same goes for this. Yes, you can quit, or say you're going to quit anyway, and BioWare will carry on because it turns out you weren't carrying the game on your shoulders, bud. 

You might think I sound very arrogant dismissing your concerns, but I personally don't disagree that your concerns are valid. I'm merely reflecting BioWare's arrogance. I'm sure they're very used to players attempting chargebacks at this point, and I would assume that given how confident they are that they can bulldoze through feedback and PTS and ignore player objections, that they have policies in place to circumvent your financial threats. 

I would be ecstatic at the idea of combining servers. I started on Satele Shan and was told by a friend I should restart on Star Forge because the population on Star Forge was easily 3 times what it was on Satele Shan. Considering how fast I was able to find PvP matches and flash point groups on Star Forge I'm glad I started over. If there was only one US server I wouldn't have had that issue and everyone still on Satele Shan would be able to find groups as easily as I do now.

As for buying 10 character transfers, why would you buy that many character transfers at once? Especially when you know there will probably be a server merge soon because the server you are on is dead.

The economy in SWTOR is bad because of inflation but deleting credits does not fix why inflation became a problem. It will also piss off the majority of players who saved up credits either by spending their time trading or buying items from the CM to sell in game for credits.

People are freaking out over charging 200 credits to 5000 credits for quick travel and you think they will be fine with Bioware deleting their credits?

Want to kill a game? Delete all the credits/gold without fair compensation to the players who spent their time trading or spending real life cash in the cash shop to earn those credits/gold.

Server merges actually fixes the problem with low populations on servers. Deleting credits/gold does not fix inflation.

Edited by remylion

47 minutes ago, remylion said:

The economy in SWTOR is bad because of inflation but deleting credits does not fix why inflation became a problem. It will also piss off the majority of players who saved up credits either by spending their time trading or buying items from the CM to sell in game for credits.

People are freaking out over charging 200 credits to 5000 credits for quick travel and you think they will be fine with Bioware deleting their credits?

Want to kill a game? Delete all the credits/gold without fair compensation to the players who spent their time trading or spending real life cash in the cash shop to earn those credits/gold.

Then do Balameb's idea, I completely support it. What's telling is the people who don't like my idea or his. They don't have any ideas, they want inflation fixed--perhaps--but they don't want to lose anything, which is not the way it works. 

People are not 'freaking out' because they're going to be taxed for QT because 5000 credits is so onerous. They're freaking out because it's completely dumb. It hurts new players without doing anything to affect the whales. 

22 hours ago, Balameb said:

5 hours ago, remylion said:

There's no way they would do that on such short notice, for exactly that reason.

12 hours ago, remylion said:

I would not be so stupid as spend $400 to buy Virtual Items made up from Pixels of Light

If you spend $400 on the Cartel Market (which would be stupid) just to sell it for 100 billion in Virtual ( as in Not Real) Currency then you deserve to loose it all if they reset the economy.

Charge-backs would not happen since they are illegal

A chargeback is a form of credit card fraud that can be punished under the law.

In case you have not figured it out... You Do Not Own the Currency in game, BW does and they can do what ever they want with it. It may upset people but BW has been upsetting players for years. This would be just one more time they did.

As for you quitting.... Nobody would notice. It would be like trying to drain the ocean by removing a teaspoon of water.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, denavin said:

I would not be so stupid as spend $400 to buy Virtual Items made up from Pixels of Light

If you spend $400 on the Cartel Market (which would be stupid) just to sell it for 100 billion in Virtual ( as in Not Real) Currency then you deserve to loose it all if they reset the economy.

Charge-backs would not happen since they are illegal

A chargeback is a form of credit card fraud that can be punished under the law.

In case you have not figured it out... You Do Not Own the Currency in game, BW does and they can do what ever they want with it. It may upset people but BW has been upsetting players for years. This would be just one more time they did.

As for you quitting.... Nobody would notice. It would be like trying to drain the ocean by removing a teaspoon of water.

I agree with your analysis on chargebacks, not because they are illegal (they are not, there are just strict guidelines related to time-frames, fraud, and unauthorized use, at least in the USA). But you are 100% correct that BW has absolute ownership / property rights over everything in the game so no credit card company would or should issue a chargeback.

Respectfully, I disagree with everything else you wrote.

1) Who are you to judge whether or not spending $400 on "Virtual Items made up from Pixels of Light" is stupid? I'm at a point in my life where $400 is not that much money.

I'm not trying to brag, just stating that my favorite leisure activity is gaming. I can afford a much larger house and a much fancier car, but I have no need for a huge house or a sports car that can go from 0 to 180 in seconds flat. And trust me, those expenditures would run in the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars more and completely dwarf the $400 spent on the Cartel Market. 

Same reason I'm willing to spend more money for a decent bottle of wine or vodka (hmm...Chopin martinis!) Both are ephemeral and disappear quickly, but they taste much better going down. Same reason I spend money on the Cartel Market on Space Barbie. Yes, I'm playing the same game, but damn, I look absolutely fabulous doing so!🤩

2) Your ocean analogy is way off base. SWTOR doesn't have an 'ocean' of players - a 'pond' would be a more apt comparison.

We can agree to disagree, which I'm sure we will (as we often do), but I believe doing a complete credit reset /purge would absolutely destroy the game and there would be an exodus en masse. I know for sure that I would leave and never look back. I doubt I'm alone. It would be a complete betrayal for mistakes that Bioware made based on rules they either established or proved unwilling or unable to enforce (i.e. credit sellers). Moreover, it doesn't the address the issue in even the medium-term.

Of course, I'm fortunate, because I enjoy SWTOR's competitors. I play Elder Scrolls Online as much as SWTOR, more so when new content is released, as happened just yesterday with a major new expansion due in June.

<<sips overpriced Chopin martini in my modest 3-bedroom house with an average-sized pool and contemplates my thoroughly boring vehicle in the garage>>

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast
Stupid Typos!
  • Like 1

People need to live in the reality and realize that BW, or any game company values "fools" who spend sh*t tons of actual irl $$$ on their digital pixels than the F2P players or average subscribers like you or me.

People also need to live in the reality and realize that unlike those poor people who are literally stuck in a sh*t hole country suffering from famine war and inflation, game players can f*ck off a game that p*sses them off at any time.

Literally nuking the economy is so childish if you actually think that's a viable option I don't even know what to say.

Introducing a new currency could potentially work only if they fix the root of the inflation - which is how it's done irl. Don't tell me you are so naive to believe the introduction of a new currency will magically fix all the problems that caused the inflation in the first place -  otherwise the new currency will just ride the inflation train at day 1 and everything will go back to the same 3 months later.

PS: I've said it before, but I feel like I need to emphasize once again: fixing the inflation will "hurt" the "rich" because it means loopholes, exploits, and tax evasion will be fixed. But hurting the rich doesn't mean to literally nuking the rich like what the communists did irl.

Edited by eabevella
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This would not qualify as a disputed charge thus a charge back would be fraud and punishable by law....

https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-cards/i/what-is-a-chargeback

Nuking a virtual economy will have no effect on reality. The only people it will effect are the fools that spent $400 on Virtual Pixels of light ....

If you lose all your credits it does not bother me as I have NEVER been so stupid as to spend mass amounts of money for virtual items. All I spend money on is my subscription I have NEVER bought anything off of the Cartel Market.... It's just not worth it whether I can afford it or not makes no difference.

Sound like your personal problem not mine...

Fools and their money are soon parted....

32 minutes ago, denavin said:

This would not qualify as a disputed charge thus a charge back would be fraud and punishable by law....

https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-cards/i/what-is-a-chargeback

Nuking a virtual economy will have no effect on reality. The only people it will effect are the fools that spent $400 on Virtual Pixels of light ....

If you lose all your credits it does not bother me as I have NEVER been so stupid as to spend mass amounts of money for virtual items. All I spend money on is my subscription I have NEVER bought anything off of the Cartel Market.... It's just not worth it whether I can afford it or not makes no difference.

Sound like your personal problem not mine...

Fools and their money are soon parted....

Denavin,

1) Please read the first paragraph of my post regarding chargebacks (y'know, the one where I corrected you on the illegality of chargebacks but stated very clearly that it would not apply in this case b/c Bioware exercises complete and absolute property rights over every pixelated item in the game).

2) Nuking the virtual economy may have no effect on your reality, but it would mine - as in, the only MMORPG I would play would be ESO and I would spend no money on SWTOR, much less the Cartel Market. As Eabevella poignantly and correctly notes...which player would Bioware rather retain?

3) I agree that Fools and their Money are soon parted. The good news for me is that I can afford to be 'foolish' in SWTOR because of other life choices I have made; e.g. normal house, normal car, etc. $400 for my favorite hobby is nothing considering what people pay to play golf, go boating, collect stamps, Pokemon cards, etc.

My dear, dear Denavin, don't hate me because I'm smart and beautiful. Hate me because I'm smart, beautiful and made  wise investment and financial decisions. Consequently, I can easily afford to wear absolutely fabulous outfits and wield really cool lightsabers in my favorite leisure activity, even though I know they will someday (probably soon) disappear.

Frankly, you should be thankful of whales, er Hutts, like me. If all Hutts leave their pleasure barges and stop feasting after only 2 courses, the pleasure barges will fall into Sarlacc Pits! That's a fiendishly clever way of saying we keep the game afloat.

<<makes another Chopin martini, one I'm going to enjoy very, very much>>

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, denavin said:

Why be so condescending? At some point in time it might occur to you that people spending money on the CM are actually keeping the game alive. Subscriptions alone will not sustain it.

People are different, like different things and prioritize differently. Feeling for people getting stripped of what they like is called empathy, you should try it.

In general I still have not yet found any answer to the most important question: what is the source of the influx of credits? If you don't fix that you can do whatever you want, it will just start a new cycle.

And I still have not understood the issue with the inflation. Is any essential thing gated behind millions of credits? Maybe besides the lvl300 augments, but people needing those will have plenty of material at their disposal through the ops they run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...I am certain nobody in dev team for one second considers some strange nuking of the entire economy, lol. What on earth  here is the problem so severe that folks here seriously think it needs such a  massively radical and unheard of  fix? Cure shouldn't be more brutal than the disease. That's like mending a headache by cutting the head off.