Don't add credit sinks that hurt new players

StrikePrice

18 hours ago, DWho said:

It takes persistence (and lots of mats) but it can be done. You have to keep listing to the point they feel they aren't going to ever be able to sell for what they want (don't list hundreds at once but a few at a time every day, or even several times each day, that makes them have to keep checking and keep buying you out every day - eventually they'll lose patience and give up). Which BIS crystals were you trying to sell?

Thanks for the tip.🙂

I tried to sell eviscrating crystals (+41 critical) in all color variations.

There are so many new players who can't pay these insane amounts and I decided to help them.

3 minutes ago, Desplain said:

Thanks for the tip.🙂

I tried to sell eviscrating crystals (+41 critical) in all color variations.

There are so many new players who can't pay these insane amounts and I decided to help them.

It's pretty hard to control the market with CM items. There just aren't enough of them. Stuff you can craft is much easier. My biggest suggestion is not to try to flood the market all at once but continuously list in smaller amounts. A big bunch at once is easy for billionaires to buy out (and make a big profit on). If they have to constantly go back and buy up small quantities they get bored with it and move on. Most are looking for a quick "buck" and anything that causes them to expend effort causes them to lose interest.

3 minutes ago, DWho said:

It's pretty hard to control the market with CM items. There just aren't enough of them. Stuff you can craft is much easier. My biggest suggestion is not to try to flood the market all at once but continuously list in smaller amounts. A big bunch at once is easy for billionaires to buy out (and make a big profit on). If they have to constantly go back and buy up small quantities they get bored with it and move on. Most are looking for a quick "buck" and anything that causes them to expend effort causes them to lose interest.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm crafting these crystals.😉

Yep that's exactly what I'm doing selling for example 20 blue ones, 20 green ones aso.

Had some low level guys buying them all and selling them again with a little profit and that's fine for me.

As you mentioned the problem are the billionaires buying them all and selling them for 200.000 up to 500.000 credits.

I'm a more pragmatic person. I think change is necessary. Things need to be stirred and shacken and experimented if we are going to find a solution. I understand that this may alienate people, but this game has been in such a stagnant state it's now full of moss and little fly worms swimming about. 

I might lose my credits. I might have to start over. That's ok, it's just a game. To be honest, I wish bioware would experiment more with as many changes as possible. The more changes are tried we can actually see what works or not. I understand they have to be real careful when implementing this stuff because players might stop playing because of changes to game. To that I say, it's not the end of the world, you can make your credits back, you can learn a different way to play the game if you want. 

The real problem is the FACT that bioware doesn't listen to feedback. They can change whatever they want, if they don't listen to their player base, make polls , engage in discussions offering their technical know-how the changes will inevitably alianate the player base to the point most stop playing, except bioware devs (Like who are they making these changes for, it must be them).

As far as I'm concerned (it's not a lot but hey) I haven't seen in any of the inflation threads, freaking quick travel costs be suggested as a solution. Maybe I'm wrong (please correct me if so). 

All the inflation threads seem to revolve around the same suggestions. Credit sinks, tax the GTN, make trading more limited, address the gold seller problem. WHAT THE HELL WAS THIS BOARD MEETING?! 

- DEV 1: So guys, we need to address inflation. Any ideas?
- DEV 2: Yeah, I took the liberty of getting some of the most active forum posts and selected some player ideas we can go through.
- DEV 1: Why do I care what players think?! Get that stuff out of my face. Also, you are fired.
- DEV 2: Wait, wha--
Gets dragged out of meeting room.
- DEV 1: What a clown. Any other ideas guys? Remember there are no wrong answers here.
- DEV 3: We can make quick travel charge credits
- DEV 1: "slow clap" GIVE THIS MAN A RAISE. WHAT A GENIUS! I want to eat your BRAIN! So freaking smart. Ohhh I love it. You know what give him my job "punches DEV 3's shoulder" What a champ. Oooff. That was a lot of work today, look at me I'm sweating. I'm going on vacation since this matter is settled. Let's say next meeting, "looks at calendar" March 3rd 2024? March 3rd? "everyone nods" Alright? Great stuff, Great stuff. 

Stir the pot! Make some popcorn! But look at the popcorn when it's done. If it burned, throw it away before you give to your visits, or they may talk about your burned popcorn with their neighbours. No one likes burned popcorn

Edited by felleto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

the best credit sinks are the ones that impacts the entire playerbase, they can be smaller since they will across the board have a bigger impact, it also makes the changes fairer for everyone, a new character that leveled at any point during 6.0 or 7.0 already make ten times more than a new character did during prior expansions so its not an issue for new players

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Desplain said:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm crafting these crystals.😉

Yep that's exactly what I'm doing selling for example 20 blue ones, 20 green ones aso.

Had some low level guys buying them all and selling them again with a little profit and that's fine for me.

As you mentioned the problem are the billionaires buying them all and selling them for 200.000 up to 500.000 credits.

At this point some players have so much money, they can buy out entire sections of the GTN and sell it for whatever price they want. 

I wonder just how intentional it is from BW's part to turn GTN increasingly irrelevant.  It is pain in the backside to sell/buy top tier cartel items now.  Due to 1 bil cap, GTN has been useless in that for ages.  So players rely on trade chat, discod trade channels and such when wanting to buy or sell top of the line items. for buyer and seller to find one another like this is a huge hazzle.  In this setting, it can become more tempting to just chew  the bullet and buy the item you want from EA for RL cash. Players suffer from this, but EA/TOR benefit. What other reason can there be for BW to just passively watch as GTN dies a slow death as a relevant tool when it comes to trade of high tier items? 

Why even sell  anything for in game credits anymore? Why would you even want credits anymore, assuming one is even moderately wealthy in game?  There are very, very few money sinks in game, that appear even remotely significant in 2023 Are you unlocking a guildship all by yourself and don't feel like crafting and grinding conq for frameworks? Yeah, that'll cost you. All the rest of the money sinks in TOR are just ridiculously trivial and obsolete. One mil to open some door in some SH? That's cute.

Edited by Stradlin
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stradlin said:

I wonder just how intentional it is from BW's part to turn GTN increasingly irrelevant.  It is pain in the backside to sell/buy top tier cartel items now.  Due to 1 bil cap, GTN has been useless in that for ages.  So players rely on trade chat, discod trade channels and such when wanting to buy or sell top of the line items. for buyer and seller to find one another like this is a huge hazzle.  In this setting, it can become more tempting to just chew  the bullet and buy the item you want from EA for RL cash. Players suffer from this, but EA/TOR benefit. What other reason can there be for BW to just passively watch as GTN dies a slow death as a relevant tool when it comes to trade of high tier items? 

Why even sell  anything for in game credits anymore? Why would you even want credits anymore, assuming one is even moderately wealthy in game?  There are very, very few money sinks in game, that appear even remotely significant in 2023 Are you unlocking a guildship all by yourself and don't feel like crafting and grinding conq for frameworks? Yeah, that'll cost you. All the rest of the money sinks in TOR are just ridiculously trivial and obsolete. One mil to open some door in some SH? That's cute.

Tin-foil hats up guys!

I think that was the intention. Items in the cartel market could be obtained by free to play players. I remember I got a lot of sets for my sorc by just being preffered and saving my money. EA doesn't like people to play for free, let's be honest they are the abomination that gave birth to Fifa packs. It's all a very well crafted scheme to make people buy things from the Cartel Market. The effort to accumulate this amount of currency is too great for most players, they will just say "might as well just pay RL cash for the damn thing and have it right now". 

That explains why it took them what 3 years to address an issue everyone saw coming from a mile away. Nothing was done. They left it as it is because of course they would. To add insult to injury (tin foil hat intensifies) I think this whole "Address inflation" thing they are doing is just a major "pat in the back" so players get a little more mellow with this issue.

"We are listening guys. Look now quick travel costs money -.-"

(tin foil hat over 9000) What's the name of the new galactic season track again? OH RIGHT! A Passage of Peace and the companion's name is Amity. I truly hope this whole scam is going to go somewhere and you are honestly addressing things in the game. I can't take these freaking false promises and taking advantage of the playerbase's goodwill. Do something or the only amity you will have is with a dead game. 

• Thanks 1

only way to I  can see to fix it

Stop all credit trades

the only credits you get is from the missions rewards.  where you go back to playing missions, and not the Trade chat . Just from mission rewards and loot, is enough to play the game, and purchase what you need from NPC Vendors. I haven't come across yet, a Vendor requiring me to need more then a few million

but it's too late for that to actually happen

so they'll just add more reasons for Credit sellers, instead of stopping or slowing credit trading. In this case, they're only doing it to the players (new and Old) that just want to play the mission (game), and so they're encouraging third party credit transfers

1 hour ago, Achnaattwo said:

only way to I  can see to fix it

Stop all credit trades

the only credits you get is from the missions rewards.  where you go back to playing missions, and not the Trade chat . Just from mission rewards and loot, is enough to play the game, and purchase what you need from NPC Vendors. I haven't come across yet, a Vendor requiring me to need more then a few million

but it's too late for that to actually happen

so they'll just add more reasons for Credit sellers, instead of stopping or slowing credit trading. In this case, they're only doing it to the players (new and Old) that just want to play the mission (game), and so they're encouraging third party credit transfers

It won’t happen because it would cut into their Cartel Market sales. 

9 hours ago, felleto said:

At this point some players have so much money, they can buy out entire sections of the GTN and sell it for whatever price they want. 

Correction: some players have so much money, they sit on fleet all day and buy out certain high-demand items on Trade from non-professional (ha!) sellers then sell it for whatever price they want.

• Like 1

I play other MMOs and most of them charge small amounts of credits for quick travel. FFXIV has this exact set up. You pay a small fee to quick travel around cities, around the world map, even to your house if you are lucky enough to own one.

The costs are very low to an individual player even when starting out. And once a player takes part in the player economy the cost negligible. In SWTOR I can sell a single crafting material for 250,000 to 500,000 credits on the auction house. That one material is just laying around waiting for anyone to collect and I get 3-4 of these at a time and there are multiple all over the map. As a player that started this week I already have over 25 million credits just selling things I found on the map playing the game. Quick travel costs are going to be the least of my worries after seeing armor and weapon prices on the GTN.

A 200-5000 credit quick travel cost is not going to hurt new players and people need to stop playing the victim.

What the quick travel cost will do, as it does in every other MMO, is act as a small credit sink and remove billions of credits from each server. Add in other small credit sinks and toss in a few large credit sinks and this game may have a working economy with lower inflation in a year or two.

Edited by remylion

3 hours ago, remylion said:

I play other MMOs and most of them charge small amounts of credits for quick travel. FFXIV has this exact set up. You pay a small fee to quick travel around cities, around the world map, even to your house if you are lucky enough to own one.

The costs are very low to an individual player even when starting out. And once a player takes part in the player economy the cost negligible. In SWTOR I can sell a single crafting material for 250,000 to 500,000 credits on the auction house. That one material is just laying around waiting for anyone to collect and I get 3-4 of these at a time and there are multiple all over the map. As a player that started this week I already have over 25 million credits just selling things I found on the map playing the game. Quick travel costs are going to be the least of my worries after seeing armor and weapon prices on the GTN.

A 200-5000 credit quick travel cost is not going to hurt new players and people need to stop playing the victim.

What the quick travel cost will do, as it does in every other MMO, is act as a small credit sink and remove billions of credits from each server. Add in other small credit sinks and toss in a few large credit sinks and this game may have a working economy with lower inflation in a year or two.

New players don't know about GTN. They don't have strongholds or fleet passes. They don't know anything yet except what NPCs in their first story tell them. They are still deciding whether they want to play the game long-term, and this is the time when overwhelming fees can scare them off. So yes, these fees will hurt the new players and the game overall since any game requires an influx of new players in order to survive.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

New players don't know about GTN. They don't have strongholds or fleet passes. They don't know anything yet except what NPCs in their first story tell them. They are still deciding whether they want to play the game long-term, and this is the time when overwhelming fees can scare them off. So yes, these fees will hurt the new players and the game overall since any game requires an influx of new players in order to survive.

Depends on your version of a new player.   A new player of a particular game does not mean they have never played another MMO.  I started playing FFXIV, and yet I still knew there would be a version of a GTN, though it would be called something else. I saw the costs involved in traveling from one town to another, and it didn't seem that expensive. There were other methods to moving to another location if you didn't want to pay the cost, you could walk to one area to another, and in doing so you could also kill things and get xp for doing that.

57 minutes ago, VegaMist said:

Name a single time you heard of a player quitting an MMO solely because there was a cost associated with instantly traveling around the map? How many people do you think  quit SWTOR because there is a cost associated with flight points?

I had nearly 90,000 credits before I left the starter world because I ran around killing and looting everything. I did all the missions I could find and I pretty much walked everywhere so I didn't miss anything. Quick traveling was free and I still rarely used it my first time playing.

New players that show up after this change are not going to abandon SWTOR because of a 200 credit to 5000 credit quick travel cost. That is like saying SWTOR loses players constantly because flight points cost 200 credits to 5000 credits to use.

You know what might scare players away? When it is normal to pay billions of credits for a single item because of inflation. Quick travel costs will lower inflation. Once more credit sinks are added in inflation will drop even more.

Edited by remylion

12 minutes ago, remylion said:

Quick travel costs will lower inflation. Once more credit sinks are added in inflation will drop even more.

This is incorrect. What it will cause is fewer players using quick travel and slower progress through the game (which incidentally will increase the number of credits they generate by playing since they will be getting more drops from killing more mobs). Quick travel costs will do absolutely nothing to lower costs on the GTN because the players controlling those costs don't use quick travel. Those controlling the prices sit in their stronghold and manipulate prices on the GTN or sell items on the fleet. High prices on the GTN are not caused by current influx of credits but rather the influx of credits from years ago (the hundreds of billions of credits that are already in the game). No one using quick travel is going to use it more than the number of credits they earn from the activities they are doing so it will do absolutely nothing to reduce the number of credits already in the game. Monopolies cause the high prices, not credits earned from missions (or not spent on quick traveling). There is a difference between high prices of desired items and inflation. What SWTOR suffers from is high prices on desired items (inflation would be if the cost of buying something from the vendors kept increasing as more credits flowed into the game)

Using travel costs to "fix" inflation is like plugging one hole in a sieve. It will have no effect at all other than to make playing the game more tedious. It is when the game becomes tedious that players leave.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DWho said:

This is incorrect. What it will cause is fewer players using quick travel and slower progress through the game (which incidentally will increase the number of credits they generate by playing since they will be getting more drops from killing more mobs). Quick travel costs will do absolutely nothing to lower costs on the GTN because the players controlling those costs don't use quick travel. Those controlling the prices sit in their stronghold and manipulate prices on the GTN or sell items on the fleet. High prices on the GTN are not caused by current influx of credits but rather the influx of credits from years ago (the hundreds of billions of credits that are already in the game). No one using quick travel is going to use it more than the number of credits they earn from the activities they are doing so it will do absolutely nothing to reduce the number of credits already in the game. Monopolies cause the high prices, not credits earned from missions (or not spent on quick traveling). There is a difference between high prices of desired items and inflation. What SWTOR suffers from is high prices on desired items (inflation would be if the cost of buying something from the vendors kept increasing as more credits flowed into the game)

Using travel costs to "fix" inflation is like plugging one hole in a sieve. It will have no effect at all other than to make playing the game more tedious. It is when the game becomes tedious that players leave.

You have so many incorrect ideas about what the quick travel credit sink is suppose to do and what effect it will have on the economy.

1. The quick travel cost is a micro-credit sink designed to be low cost and accessible to all individuals
  2. Micro-credit sinks are not designed to fix inflation on their own, they are supplementary credit designed to help slow down inflation.
  3. New players walking around refusing to use quick travel will not introduce more credits than the quick travel micro-credit sink will remove. There will be a net negative in credits introduced into the economy especially compared to now where we have no credit sink associated with quick travel.
  4. The quick travel micro-credit sink is not designed to have an immediate effect on the GTN. It is being tested and will work in tandem with other credit sinks, yet to be introduced, to try and help reduce inflation over a year or two which will then have an effect on GTN prices.

Players are not going to leave because of a 200 to 5,000 credit quick travel cost. If they are still around after seeing armor sets that cost billions credits, a 5,000 credit quick travel cost will be the last reason they quit.

There are other micro-credit sinks in the game. Have you ever heard of a single person quitting SWTOR because there used to be a cost to travel to different planets or because we still have to pay to use speeders to travel between points?

Edited by remylion
  • Haha 1

Fact is none of this will hurt me at all (been playing consecutively since launch without a break).  But does have the take of "nickel and diming me".  Besides, explain to me the logic of it please?

I am I supposed too think "So this is Uber of the planets.  Sure we are in the middle of a neighborhood worse than the Southside of Chicago in the Projects on a Hot Saturday Night in August, but someone opted to shuttle me for the Wreck of West Taris to the dump of East Taris."  It is quick travel.  I paid to have it unlocked quicker.  That was the gold sink.  Yet now its I pay for the privilege to use what I paid to unlock?

What is next - 25 credits every time I use my rocket boots?  If we are going to do this, could we least have it where speeders have a idle timer and gas tank where we have to pay for the fuel to use them?  Heck if you want to add gold sinks, how about an expanded gas tank (i.e. longer range and time) for rocket boots and boosters to make it travel faster (at increased burn rates for the fuel).  Then we can increase the charges because it takes more to fill AND it burns it faster!  Win-win for everyone! 

35 minutes ago, remylion said:

You have so many incorrect ideas about what the quick travel credit sink is suppose to do and what effect it will have on the economy.

1. The quick travel cost is a micro-credit sink designed to be low cost and accessible to all individuals
  2. Micro-credit sinks are not designed to fix inflation on their own, they are supplementary credit designed to help slow down inflation.
  3. New players walking around refusing to use quick travel will not introduce more credits than the quick travel micro-credit sink will remove. There will be a net negative in credits introduced into the economy especially compared to now where we have no credit sink associated with quick travel.
  4. The quick travel micro-credit sink is not designed to have an immediate effect on the GTN. It is being tested and will work in tandem with other credit sinks, yet to be introduced, to try and help reduce inflation over a year or two which will then have an effect on GTN prices.

Players are not going to leave because of a 200 to 5,000 credit quick travel cost. If they are still around after seeing armor sets that cost billions credits, a 5,000 credit quick travel cost will be the last reason they quit.

There are other micro-credit sinks in the game. Have you ever heard of a single person quitting SWTOR because there used to be a cost to travel to different planets or because we still have to pay to use speeders to travel between points?

The issue is it will have a disproportionate impact on newer players and have an infinitesimal impact on inflation. It is the classic example of a regressive tax. For example, not sure where you live (it's none of my business) but many places in the U.S. have sales taxes, while value added taxes (VAT's) are more common in Europe. Everyone pays the same tax rate regardless of income.

I have no idea the impact it will have on player population, but then again neither do you.

I do know it will do nothing to address the problem of inflation on the GTN or private tranactions. It's fine for you to say it won't have an "immediate effect on the GTN" and new features will be introduced over the "next year or two", but here is the problem with Point #4 in your post...

The GTN and private transactions are the problem, so why is it taking a year or two? Moreover, you have no idea what those new features will be so it is a bit disingenuous of you to  claim Bioware knows what they are doing here. I understand they want to go slow, but this is snail's pace.

Put differently, the problem is the severed artery, not the tiny capillary for those of us who have billions. It's just an annoying gnat-like nuisance tax that, by very definition, will impact newer players more.

I won't bat an eyelid at the costs of quick travel, and it will have such an insignificant impact on inflation that many of us wondering why they are taking such a go slow approach. To be fair, I don't think there are any good solutions that will please everyone, but this sure isn't it.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast
Stupid typos!
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Blakinik said:

Fact is none of this will hurt me at all (been playing consecutively since launch without a break).  But does have the take of "nickel and diming me".  Besides, explain to me the logic of it please?

I am I supposed too think "So this is Uber of the planets.  Sure we are in the middle of a neighborhood worse than the Southside of Chicago in the Projects on a Hot Saturday Night in August, but someone opted to shuttle me for the Wreck of West Taris to the dump of East Taris."  It is quick travel.  I paid to have it unlocked quicker.  That was the gold sink.  Yet now its I pay for the privilege to use what I paid to unlock?

What is next - 25 credits every time I use my rocket boots?  If we are going to do this, could we least have it where speeders have a idle timer and gas tank where we have to pay for the fuel to use them?  Heck if you want to add gold sinks, how about an expanded gas tank (i.e. longer range and time) for rocket boots and boosters to make it travel faster (at increased burn rates for the fuel).  Then we can increase the charges because it takes more to fill AND it burns it faster!  Win-win for everyone! 

The logic behind a tiny fee for quick travel, as in other MMOs, is to slow down inflation. It won't have much of an effect on individuals, but at 5,000 credits per quick travel, it will only take 200,000 quick travels to delete 1 billion credits from the economy.  This is a micro-credit sink that Bioware is going to test to help develop other credit sinks. Sure they could spend countless hours redesigning the game to create big credit sinks only the wealthiest can afford... but if that failed to remove enough credits and quickly became something no one used than it would be a massive waste of resources.

Bioware is starting small, testing things to make sure it functions as expected, then will design and implement further credit sinks.

11 minutes ago, remylion said:

The logic behind a tiny fee for quick travel, as in other MMOs, is to slow down inflation. It won't have much of an effect on individuals, but at 5,000 credits per quick travel, it will only take 200,000 quick travels to delete 1 billion credits from the economy.  This is a micro-credit sink that Bioware is going to test to help develop other credit sinks. Sure they could spend countless hours redesigning the game to create big credit sinks only the wealthiest can afford... but if that failed to remove enough credits and quickly became something no one used than it would be a massive waste of resources.

Bioware is starting small, testing things to make sure it functions as expected, then will design and implement further credit sinks.

I fully understand the what and how they are doing it.  Its the perception aspect of it I have an issue with.

Want to reduce inflation?  Take away money with every transaction between players.  Trade cash or goods - % taken from valuation.  Don't have funds, trade can't happen.  Email something - can't access till you pay up.  Transfer credits?  No problem, we'll be Uncle Sam and take our share of it.  Everything traded would be up for a transaction fee.  it could be simply a 5,000 exchange fee.

How is that any different than the quick travel Nickel and Dime?  Aside from being way more aggreges and pointed.  They both do the same thing, except one is what is driving the inflation problem and tackles the issue unlike the other one that will smack lower level new players who simply will get mentally exhausted not being able to catch up in the game. 

Besides @remylion, if they want to solve inequity and tackle the problem, they should literally flood the game with credits.  Like literally make credits rain from everywhere.  Everyone will have maxxed out credits and will be more that everyone is a billionaire.  Make the SWTOR economy the equivalent of Zimbabwe, except there is a cap on how high the spiral can go called the credit caps.

Once they do this where no one has a monetary advantage, then you offer a second current that is effectively 1 million old credits = 1 new credit.  It will be what India did to fix they issues (that were driven by counterfeiting which is the issue that started this mess here to begin with).  That of course would peeve off every "play the GTN market" person since the only advantage they could conceivably have is what assets they squirreled away for the credit rebalance.

3 hours ago, remylion said:

1. It isn't "accessible" to all individuals, only those playing the RPG content (no travel costs for operations, GSF, or PVP)

2. Whether they slow down inflation is irrelevant because the issue is not inflation but an excess of credits in the game.

3. I have done the experiment and disagree with your assessment. You will net something like 25% more credits on a level 80 character if you walk from where you complete the last mission in a section back to the taxi, fighting mobs along the way.

4. An immediate effect is what is needed.

I have seen dozens of players leave because the game becomes tedious to play (slogging through dozens of low level mobs is not fun). The quick travel costs, as they are now configured, will sour new players on the game, especially after they pay millions of credits to unlock faster quick travels only to find out it still costs them to use those "perks"

The other micro-sinks are much smaller. Travel by taxi is 10s of credits, travel by ship is at most a few hundred, these quick travel costs are in the thousands and are not adjusted for the level of the planet they are on. There is no reason at all for it to cost more to quick travel between taxi pads on coruscant than it does on Corellia (or even the same)

Forgot to add coruscant quick travel costs: Senate tower to just about anywhere is 5000 credits (Black Sun sector was the only one less than that at 4435)

Edited by DWho
Added Coruscant Quick Travel Costs
  • Like 2