Help with lore related to acolyte/padawan weapons

HypSpec

I am having fun working on a fan fiction novel that showcases an origin story for one of my characters. I am writing it as a Sith Warrior origin, but the character washes out of and escapes the academy experience before joining Imperial Intelligence (and linking up to the agent storyline in game). As part of the origin story I am detailing encounters between acolytes and have some questions about what would be most realistic in terms of establishing the weapons they have and what actual damage they could do, and wondering if the community could provide some insights to leverage.

1. It seems like acolytes do not yet have lightsabers until they are considered an apprentice so what would they have before that? A practice saber only or something beyond that but not an actual lightsaber yet?
  2. What kind of damage would a practice saber (or something beyond that but not an actual lightsaber) be capable of? Could it be used to severely injure or kill someone itself?

A key element of my story involves my character trying to navigate the acolyte experience on Korriban (aligned with what we see in game) and that leads to a confrontation with a rival as part of the climax of the story. I am trying to make sure I can appropriately consider the combat/weapon options and any confirmations or suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Practice sabers are capable of killing other acolytes, you do some killing in the story with one in both origin stories. As reference (although this happens much later in the future) you could try reading the Darth Bane novel (the first one in the trilogy), the part where he is learning to duel with the Sith Battlemaster. Also as a reference, you could read Shadow Academy by Kevin J. Anderson from the Young Jedi Knights series, where Jacen and Jaina are training (I have the paperback from 1995 - from back before stuff got thrust into "legends"). It goes into this sort of issue.

(By the way, Anderson introduces Lowbacca, nephew of Chewbacca, who wears a droid called EM TEEDEE a translator droid around his neck). So Jakarro has a "predecessor" in Star Wars stories).