Credit Economy Initiative beginning with 7.2.1

JackieKo

28 minutes ago, Toraak said:

this is incorrect. Your forgetting new players don't have unlimited QT's. New players have no legacy, so no legacy levels or perks. New players have a 6 min CD on Quick Travel ability. They won't use it as much as veteran players. Not to mention they're going to be less likely to speed through the story, and want to explore more the 1st playthrough. Which means even less use of Quick Travel.

People need to stop claiming this will hurt new players, it really won't hurt them much at all.

Correct, this will not hurt brand new players who are just starting out.  Likewise, this will have little effect on any established player.  For anyone with a level 80 character recuperating these costs will be trivial.  The group that this will hurt are those who are new, but not first character brand new.  Those who have completed their first story, have had a taste of the convenience of QT, have earned a few legacy levels, have unlocked some of the travel CD reductions (only need legacy level 10 to fully unlock the travel reductions), but have yet to built up a credit reserve, who do not have a max level character that can easily offset these new costs, who are yet quite a distance from being in the established player category.  That is the group who this is going to hurt.  Just like when BW increased several in-game costs with 6.0, that was the group who were affected most.  And just like when 6.0 dropped, with all those inflated in-game costs, the credit spammers upped their spamming to ludicrous speeds and went plaid on general chat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toraak said:

this is incorrect. Your forgetting new players don't have unlimited QT's. New players have no legacy, so no legacy levels or perks. New players have a 6 min CD on Quick Travel ability.

6 minutes?  That's a luxury. What are you doing that means you use quicktravel more than every 10 minutes or so?

Back when I first tried this game the cd on quicktravel was 1 hour.  Which meant it was basically useless, and that's what bioware is planning to bring back for new players.  I quit mid-Tatooine because the game was boring and frustrating with the constant fighting of the same mobs as you ran from place to place.   I didn't come back for years.

No quicktravel means you  have to fight your way to the mission node, then have to fight the same mobs again on your way out since they respawn.  It gets tedious and boring really fast. 

Bioware already brought back boring levelling with the really slow and badly adjusted new ability paths, and now they want to bring back the boring 'fight the same mobs twice or more' type of gameplay? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

6 minutes?  That's a luxury. What are you doing that means you use quicktravel more than every 10 minutes or so?

Back when I first tried this game the cd on quicktravel was 1 hour.  Which meant it was basically useless, and that's what bioware is planning to bring back for new players.  I quit mid-Tatooine because the game was boring and frustrating with the constant fighting of the same mobs as you ran from place to place.   I didn't come back for years.

No quicktravel means you  have to fight your way to the mission node, then have to fight the same mobs again on your way out since they respawn.  It gets tedious and boring really fast. 

Bioware already brought back boring levelling with the really slow and badly adjusted new ability paths, and now they want to bring back the boring 'fight the same mobs twice or more' type of gameplay? 

Then BW changed it, because it's 6 Mins on an account that was preferred with legacy level 1 when I tested it this week. And I can easily use a QT far more then every 6 mins. I've completed quests in far less time then that and needed to use to to move elsewhere faster.

8 minutes ago, Toraak said:

Then BW changed it, because it's 6 Mins on an account that was preferred with legacy level 1 when I tested it this week.

This is my understanding, since each of the three Legacy perks lowers it by 2 min, until it has no cooldown.

26 minutes ago, Toraak said:

Then BW changed it, because it's 6 Mins on an account that was preferred with legacy level 1 when I tested it this week. And I can easily use a QT far more then every 6 mins. I've completed quests in far less time then that and needed to use to to move elsewhere faster.

Yes, they changed it years ago.  That was my point.  Quicktravel that you could use easily and often was a huge improvement to enjoying the game.

The dev's want to remove the quicktravel whenever you want option from newer/poorer players and that is removing QoL, not improving it.   Like so many recent changes it's a downgrade, not an upgrade.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

Yes, they changed it years ago.  That was my point.  Quicktravel that you could use easily and often was a huge improvement to enjoying the game.

The dev's want to remove the quicktravel whenever you want option from newer/poorer players and that is removing QoL, not improving it.   Like so many recent changes it's a downgrade, not an upgrade.

The cost will be minimal. from my experience on the PTS, people are over exaggerating how much it'll affect people. This won't hurt much at all for new players, and in truth will do nothing to help fix the inflation either.

On 2/9/2023 at 1:06 PM, Aakurb said:

Poor players will become poorer, rich players won't be affected.

Precisely. MMO game developers seem to struggle with basic economic concepts in their own games. Largely unregulated economies like the one in SWTOR will ALWAYS end up with rampant and runaway inflation because they lack the controls real world economies use to control inflation. Star Wars the Old Republic and Star Trek Online currently have the exact same problem and both developers are trying to deal with their respective issues in precisely the same was. They think credit sinks are how to do it and they just aren't. 

If you are wealthy, doubling or even tripling gas prices isn't going to change your life style or impact you all that much. If you are raking in 10's of thousands of dollars a month, going from $50 or $100 a week in gas to $100, 200 or even $300 a week probably isn't going to change anything for you. 

For players who have billions of credits, its going to take a lot more than credit sinks of 5,000cr. here and a few hundred credits there to make an impact. On the other hand, any meaningful credit sink for players with that kind of in-game currency would bankrupt players who do not have hundreds of millions of credits on hand. 

I will say it again as clearly as I can for the developers: In game credit sinks will accomplish nothing but make the poor feel poorer. If you have billions of credits in the bank and can afford to spend millions on something as mundane as dye modules or crafting mats on the GTN today, a 5,000cr. quick travel fee for something that used to cost nothing or 500cr. won't impact you in the least. 

To put it in perspective, inflation was already becoming a problem years ago. When I quit playing this game about three years ago a basic craftable black and red dye module went for about 45,000cr. on the GTN. I started playing this game again about a week ago. Today, the very cheapest black and red dye module is 650,000cr. on the GTN. I only have a couple of hundred million credits, and I feel broke. 

With what I have currently, I don't think any of the proposed credit sinks will impact me. 

Do better. 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 12:57 AM, Toraak said:

this is incorrect. Your forgetting new players don't have unlimited QT's. New players have no legacy, so no legacy levels or perks. New players have a 6 min CD on Quick Travel ability. They won't use it as much as veteran players. Not to mention they're going to be less likely to speed through the story, and want to explore more the 1st playthrough. Which means even less use of Quick Travel.

People need to stop claiming this will hurt new players, it really won't hurt them much at all.

As a matter of interest. Have you started a brand new character on the PTS & done a play through of these changes to come up with these conclusions?

Because others have & they do show that it does have an affect on new players & hardly any affect on established players. 

BioWare should not be targeting new players with credit sinks. They aren’t the ones that have billions of credits or who are causing the inflation. BioWare should be targeting the people causing the inflation, not making it more difficult for new players. Talk about doing it backwards.

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 5

On 3/18/2023 at 10:58 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

As a matter of interest. Have you started a brand new character on the PTS & done a play through of these changes to come up with these conclusions?

Because others have & they do show that it does have an affect on new players & hardly any affect on established players. 

BioWare should not be targeting new players with credit sinks. They aren’t the ones that have billions of credits or who are causing the inflation. BioWare should be targeting the people causing the inflation, not making it more difficult for new players. Talk about doing it backwards.

Yes I did, and didn't notice a massive problem. I played it as if I was new, so not using the QT's as often as I would on live which is every chance I get. I set a timer for 6 mins, so I knew when the CD would be up for a new account at legacy level 1, and I did not notice much of a problem. 

I highly doubt most people that tested would think to use that 6 min timer, and just used QT every chance they got. Since nobody that I read said they tried such a strategy, I can't imagine anyone would think about it.

2 hours ago, Toraak said:

Yes I did, and didn't notice a massive problem. I played it as if I was new, so not using the QT's as often as I would on live which is every chance I get. I set a timer for 6 mins, so I knew when the CD would be up for a new account at legacy level 1, and I did not notice much of a problem. 

I highly doubt most people that tested would think to use that 6 min timer, and just used QT every chance they got. Since nobody that I read said they tried such a strategy, I can't imagine anyone would think about it.

While I don't agree that it has no impact on re-playing story or leveling characters, what is the point of it then. It clearly won't have any impact on the number of credits in the game (since the players replaying the story or leveling characters don't generate anywhere near enough credits to have an impact - at most 2-5 million per play-through). If it isn't going to even slow down credit generation, why implement it instead of something related to the GTN. At least with a change to the GTN you would actually be removing credits from the game (since listing something on the GTN doesn't actually generate any new credits by itself and a sale removes 8% of the transaction cost). This just seems poorly thought out overall.

Costs for heroic transports make sense because farming daily areas and some heroic areas can generate lots of credits. I think a simpler way to reign in credit influx is to revert back to mobs dropping planet level rewards instead of character level rewards. You can keep the mission rewards the same if you like (though they should simply put a cap on those too so that level 80s running the Coruscant heroics aren't rewarded better than someone running the heroics on Voss)

I'd also like to see some differentiation in costs for heroic transports based on whether it is a jump from fleet/stronghold to the start point compared to on planet jumps (which should be less). If you are going to keep the QT costs, they should be based on area jumps not pure distance so that jumping from one speeder pad to another doesn't cost 10 times as much using the taxi.

Edited by DWho
some additional commentary

1 hour ago, DWho said:

While I don't agree that it has no impact on re-playing story or leveling characters, what is the point of it then. It clearly won't have any impact on the number of credits in the game (since the players replaying the story or leveling characters don't generate anywhere near enough credits to have an impact - at most 2-5 million per play-through). If it isn't going to even slow down credit generation, why implement it instead of something related to the GTN. At least with a change to the GTN you would actually be removing credits from the game (since listing something on the GTN doesn't actually generate any new credits by itself and a sale removes 8% of the transaction cost). This just seems poorly thought out overall.

Costs for heroic transports make sense because farming daily areas and some heroic areas can generate lots of credits. I think a simpler way to reign in credit influx is to revert back to mobs dropping planet level rewards instead of character level rewards. You can keep the mission rewards the same if you like (though they should simply put a cap on those too so that level 80s running the Coruscant heroics aren't rewarded better than someone running the heroics on Voss)

I'd also like to see some differentiation in costs for heroic transports based on whether it is a jump from fleet/stronghold to the start point compared to on planet jumps (which should be less). If you are going to keep the QT costs, they should be based on area jumps not pure distance so that jumping from one speeder pad to another doesn't cost 10 times as much using the taxi.

It's not meant to hamper replay throughs however. It's meant to hamper people doing Heroic Spam. Those heroic transports to my understanding are still considered QT's. So those level 80's spamming heroics will generate less credits now with the Tax then they currently do. That I believe is the main point for the QT tax.

The starting player or those going through stories a 2nd or 3rd time won't be the ones this affects as much. As I've said in the past I do not think this will affect inflation, but will somewhat slow down credit generation to a point (Notice I said to a point, not enough to do anything most likely.), but BW did say this was stage 1, and that they intend to see what changes need to be made in the future. 

Heroic Transports and your legacy QT ability function differently. The heroic transports take you directly to the entrance of the heroic while the personal QTs only take you to an unlocked QT point (typically at speeder pads). The personal QTs existed long before the heroic transports and are thus very likely to use a different mechanism (and separate code structure). It should have been possible to add a cost to heroic transports without adding them to the personal QTs.

A 1% increase in the GTN tax would have done more for reducing credits in the game than any personal QT tax will ever do (and should have been extremely easy to code)

The QT costs are an unnecessary annoyance (especially with the annoying pop-up asking if you want to spend the credits). If you want to drain credits, why not just reduce the rewards for completing the heroic missions by a 1000 credits (adjusted down for lower level characters who receive lower rewards for them). That would be unnoticeable by players and would have accomplished exactly the same thing (and wouldn't have been interpreted as nickle and diming them to death or reducing the effectiveness of a very popular QoL).

It really does seem the intent is to get people to quick travel less as a means or slowing down the rate they complete content irrespective of the rewards it grants. I didn't see a functional Heroic transport cost on the PTS so it's likely one won't be included in this when it goes live (or the costs are going to be so egregious, the forums would have burned down under the criticism).

I know this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but....

every single one of the changes mentioned in 7.2.1 are things that should have been in place YEARS ago to slow down inflation. these are not helpful to combat existing inflation. in fact, they appear to disproportionately affect new accounts. and maybe preferred/f2p. this in no way affects anyone setting and paying ridiculously high prices for relatively basic goods in trade or on the gtn.

I think you're doing this backarseward. this is something you should do AFTER the big credit sinks so that the rest of the economy is more affordable.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 11:31 AM, Toraak said:

It's not meant to hamper replay throughs however. It's meant to hamper people doing Heroic Spam. Those heroic transports to my understanding are still considered QT's. So those level 80's spamming heroics will generate less credits now with the Tax then they currently do. That I believe is the main point for the QT tax.

It's amusing that you refer to it as 'heroic spam' as if the players are doing something wrong or that bioware didn't intend. The new mechanics make doing heroics the easiest way to collect DRMs quickly; if players are doing a lot of heroics, they are doing exactly what bioware has set up for them to do. 

Maybe you should quit blaming players and rationalizing BW's actions, which as many have said, will accomplish nothing but frustration and is a transparent attempt to lengthen travel time to stretch out 10 year old content.

• Like 1

I'm no expert but it feels this will just feel bad QoL and newbie-wise with little to no tangible effect.

People are conscious of the economy being scuffed by people with billions galore dictating market prices.

They can macro their toon to QT for the rest of their lives and it won't make a dent.

You ain't fixing this on the back of minute transactional taxation. Yes, it adds up to a large sum, but not where it counts. The market will still be dictated and warped by people with purchasing power that won't ever register these changes. Those people are not making credits by hopping from heroic to heroic, they're using the credits they have to play the market. 

If BW wants to suck credits out of the system they have to give end-game players credit sinks that actually have appeal to those players... with something like WoWs Black Market Auction House. Put up the rarest/removed/most desirable items for a bidding war between the fat cats of the server. If it removes 50-100 billion credits out of the system in one pop, it's worth it to sell a dude the Wings of the Architect or an otherwise 10k CC item.

Edited by aeterno
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ardrossan said:

It's amusing that you refer to it as 'heroic spam' as if the players are doing something wrong or that bioware didn't intend. The new mechanics make doing heroics the easiest way to collect DRMs quickly; if players are doing a lot of heroics, they are doing exactly what bioware has set up for them to do. 

Maybe you should quit blaming players and rationalizing BW's actions, which as many have said, will accomplish nothing but frustration and is a transparent attempt to lengthen travel time to stretch out 10 year old content.

I'm not blaming anyone, heck I do heroic spam as well from time to time, so on those days it will be meant for me as well. And as I've said It will accomplish nothing. If you think I've said otherwise you need to reread many of my posts. 

Controlling ANY economy is hard to do, be it game-life or real-life.  Some of the changes proposed by SWTOR developers to introduce credit sinks, such as charging for use of Quick Travel seem misguided.  We didn’t get credit rich because there was no fee for using QT.  I got credit rich buying low, and selling high. But there ARE some lessons we can learn from real-life economy controls.

• Do not allow the exchange of ANY item or credit between accounts without taxation.  This includes direct trades, mail, etc.  Many things in real-life are taxed when ownership changes.  The DMV charges the new car owner a tax.  PayPal (in most cases) exacts their fee when money changes hands. 
  • If tradable game items (ie. Unstable Peacemaker, Twisted Fang, Senya’s Pike) were assigned a realistic trade value, then the net worth (total credit and item holdings) of a given server-account could be calculated used to make taxation decisions.  The more you have, the higher your tax RATE.
  • Just as the IRS, the concept of capital gains tax could be used.  If I paid 4M for an item I later sold for 404M, I could fairly be taxed on the 400M gain.  An item I pay 400M for later sells for 425M, it seems more fairly taxed on the 25M gain.
  • If you ARE going to tax us for a given service, consider taxing us at differing rates.  A F2P player may still be taxed, but less than a subber with millions of credits in the bank.  Subbers with 100B+ in their legacy bank, can easily afford to pay a higher tax RATE than a subber just starting out with only a few million credits.

These are just a few real-life examples doing a great deal to keep economies in check.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, peterschlossersw said:

•  A F2P player may still be taxed, but less than a subber with millions of credits in the bank

Bioware's goal is to get F2P to sub. So they'd be better off saying "Sub benefits: Lower tax rates"

On 3/24/2023 at 3:51 PM, aeterno said:

If BW wants to suck credits out of the system they have to give end-game players credit sinks that actually have appeal to those players... 

This. At level 80, there is practically nothing to spend credits on. We moved on to spending DRMs and Tech Frags. Players are rich because endgame has become a "earn credits, can't spend credits" thing. Not a "Free quick travel makes me rich" thing

Edited by Traceguy

15 minutes ago, peterschlossersw said:

I'll acknowledge the accumulation of wealth, hunting the GTN for under-valued items, and upselling them, has become my game within the game.

To be fair, you aren't contributing to Bioware's definition of inflation, which is mass introduction of credits into the system. You are only transferring some credits to someone else, only to have someone transfer you more credits than you paid. The only increase here, is to the perceived inflation, where items on the GTN cost more than before.

I'm not convinced a credit exploit from way back in 6.0? is to blame for current inflation.  What about those credit farmers?  The gamer-easy ones with purported bots farming slicing lockboxes 24/7?  Are they able to trade their credits to buyers without taxation?  It may also be prudent to limit the number of times a single account can gather lockboxes in one day, if these guys are pouring credits into the system.  I now see a new trend across servers, someone redirecting to discord wanting to buy credits for real $$$.

Edited by peterschlossersw

Posting only in agreement to what's been posted already by many:

The changes here hurt new/poor players who are struggling to accumulate wealth more than it drains the wealthy. The charges affect things new/poor players use to save money -- and time. For instance, my habit of going to the fleet and using hanger terminals there to go to planets at no cost is a habit formed when I was broke. 

To really combat inflation is to add back old armor sets and weapons to the cartel market or add them to vendors. The biggest culprit is the Cartel Market. This is where the inflation comes from.  Once an item disappear from the cartel market the price go up by billions and billions.

Edited by Tiiamaath