PvP Medals and Matchmaking Feedback Thread

JackieKo

On 2/9/2023 at 8:16 AM, JackieKo said:

Alderaan Warzone Map:

• Is it easier to obtain Attacker and Defender points? It is much easier to earn defender points and a bit easier to earn attacker points. I saw someone earn nearly 25k objective points/9 medals with only doing 191k damage by defending a node the entire match.
  • Do you feel like you can earn 8 medals even if you do not win matches? Sometimes but not all the time. I saw a few matches where the losing team all had 3-7 medals. That typically would happen when we were fighting hard over the middle turret the entire match, and it was either under the winning team's control or neutral.
  • How many medals did you earn per match per win/loss? 10 wins earning 14/10/8/6/12/9/14/9/13/10 medals. 3 losses earning 7/5/8 medals. 

General PvP matches:

• Were matchups fair? Unsure.
  • If you participated in a match, please describe the makeup of your group and the group you were paired against. Usually 1-2 healers per side, occasionally 1 tank.

•  

Alderaan Warzone Map:

• Is it easier to obtain Attacker and Defender points?
    • From the one match I was able to get into, yes for attacking, and most likely for defending, though that was a less dramatic change. Being able to progress points during a back-and-forth push makes me feel better about not just capturing a node at the start and sitting on it like an egg to get medals, regardless of how the match is going
  • Do you feel like you can earn 8 medals even if you do not win matches?
    • The match I played had a bit of back-and-forth, but we ended up winning. Based on my past experience with medal counts on Live, if I got enough Offense medals to get to 3-4,  then sat on a defense node to round things out, I might be able to, or at least get close.
  • How many medals did you earn per match per win/loss?
    • I capped at 8 before the match finished, which i think is a good sign for the potential to hit the number on a close losing match, I believe I ended up with 11-13 total.

General PvP matches:

• Were matchups fair?
    • My first thought is 'insufficient sample size'; it took me a while to get a match, and I was not able to stay around long enough for another to pop. My second thought is that, for the most part, I was having an easy-ish time defeating enemy players, much more so than on live. I suspect the PTS testers were not the best organized or geared, especially on the other team, though most of my recent experience has been through the PvP season, and getting my rear handed to me 50-60% of the time as a solo queue-er in both arenas and warzones.
  • If you participated in a match, please describe the makeup of your group and the group you were paired against.  
    • I can only say for certain that our team had a healer on the middle turret objective point, as I recall my health being kept steady between waves of enemy respawns, the enemy did not come in a terribly coordinated group, usually 2-3 at a time, and by the time more arrived, we had   defeated or severely damaged most of the last wave, with the healing making the defense far more sustainable.
  • Feel free to leave general feedback of your experience with matchmaking.
    • I played on Friday, admittedly mostly looking for any hint of GS4 and the new stronghold, and queued up for the Vulptilla mount. It took what felt like half an hour to forty-five minutes to get a pop, it was the Alderaan warzone, and as noted, while there was some back and forth on capture points, I never felt any heavy pressure from the enemy team; I am *not* the greatest operative/scoundrel in the game, but I managed to solo cap an undefended point halfway through the match and then returned to mod when it got flipped so that I could further test the offensive/ defensive kill points rate. Either the rest of my team were very skilled, or the other team was matched purely on availability rather than similar gear rating/composition. This may be an issue of limiting the PTS to a small pool of dedicated players with active subscriptions.

Edited by Twelfthdoctor

I played a warzone match today. I'm not an active PVPer - only did it at all because I wanted the mount - so my feedback comes from the perspective of a player who has just done a match for the first time in... quite a long time. I dabbled a little, uh... maybe 5 years ago?

Alderaan Warzone Map:

• Is it easier to obtain Attacker and Defender points? - Impossible for me to judge, but I was definitely getting Defender points for mostly just... DPS'ing in the other group's direction while being in the vicinity of the thing I was defending. All I can say is it felt like I was getting rewarded for contributing to the match to the best of my abilities.
  • Do you feel like you can earn 8 medals even if you do not win matches? - I only had 7 medals right up until the moment my group won, so I'm guessing if we'd lost, I would not have earned 8 medals.
  • How many medals did you earn per match per win/loss? - 11 medals on the match, which my group won

General PvP matches:

• Were matchups fair? - Really hard to say. The PTS had such a low population that just getting enough players for the warzone to take place was a bit of a challenge.
  • If you participated in a match, please describe the makeup of your group and the group you were paired against. - My group was, I think, a mix of mostly solo players (many inexperienced, including me), plus a small group who joined the queue together. I'd been chatting to one of them on the fleet while queuing, and they said they were pinging their Discord to help fill up the queue.
  • Feel free to leave general feedback of your experience with matchmaking. - Getting put into a group with a small pre-made is probably the reason my group won, so my gut instinct here is to say that matching solo players against pre-mades is never going to end up with a fair match. That is going to discourage solo players from participating. If the goal is to increase participation in PVP, then matching solo-vs-solo and group-vs-group is probably the best way to achieve that.

My really, really general feedback is that this match was honestly the most wholesome PVP experience I've ever had. Everyone was very polite and friendly, and the more experienced players were patient with those of us who had less experience. Maybe it was because there was no pressure to win, so nobody was getting worked up about it, but I actually had fun, and that's not something I've ever said about PVP before. Being nice to the new people makes a difference.

• Like 1

I logged in on Saturday evening, and pops were pretty slow, so I've only played one match so far. I'm a casual PVPer playing on a Lightning Sorcerer (bad choice, I know). I have definitely not been getting 8 medals/game regularly on live, so I'm very interested in the medal adjustments.

In the match I played, we took snow at the beginning, and I pretty much stayed there the whole game, except when I was returning after being killed 🙂. My teammates and I had to fight off a number of attacks by 2-3 players over the course of the match. We eventually won.

Is it easier to obtain Attacker and Defender points? I was mostly defending, except for a short stretch when the other team captured the node, so I can't really speak to Attacker points. I'm pretty sure I got more Defender points than I would have on Live.

Do you feel like you can earn 8 medals even if you do not win matches? I'm not sure about this one. On the winning team, all but one person got at least 9 medals. (The other person got 7.) But on the losing team, only one player got 8 medals. 

How many medals did you earn per match per win/loss? 10, which is way more than I've been getting on live, on average. Most of them were defense medals (up to Platinum), plus the bronze offense medal, capturing the node, and the 10-minute victor medal.

I don't think I can evaluate the matchmaking, since very few people were queued. The game eventually started with 6 people on our team, and I think there were 6 on the other team as well. The match felt exciting to me, and it certainly wasn't a blowout. But wins always feel better than losses, so let's see how I feel when I'm on the losing team!

I played 13 matches on Friday with a group consisting of a healer, a ranged dps, and myself as a melee dps. we started out with 2 wins and 3 losses, then got 8 wins in a row. Wins and losses did not have nearly as much impact on medal count as the group composition did. The new medals for kills near objectives VERY STRONGLY incentivizes having no tanks or healers in the warzone. Anytime there were multiple healers and tanks in the warzone, total medal counts were significantly lower. In one match, 7 players on my team spent the entire match fighting over a stalemate at mid, with total medal counts on our winning team of between 2 and 5 medals, while I got 11 medals for just standing and defending a side node the whole match doing almost nothing the whole time and accumulated over 31,000 defender points (medals were only granted up to 15,000 and I was already over the 8 medal cap, so I had no incentive to do anything the entire 2nd half of the match). This was routinely the case throughout several matches, as when multiple healers and tanks battled in mid, both teams got very low medal counts. When teams were composed of nearly all dps, medal counts were MUCH higher.

Kills are a very poor metric to use for gaining objective points. This needs to be changed to protection, damage, and healing done near objectives, or else teams will be severely punished if healers and tanks are in queue.

Additionally, player toxicity in pvp would likely be greatly reduced if the weekly pvp missions were based on total medals gained rather than wins. As it stands, there is very little incentive to keep participating in a warzone after 8 medals have been earned, and about half of the time, afk players get the same weekly mission reward as players actively trying to win a match. Intentional sandbags are still the #1 worst part of pvp in SWTOR, and these new changes do nothing to fix that problem.

Edited by iakona
added further commentary
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 5:16 PM, JackieKo said:

Be sure to read this post first before jumping onto the PTS and submitting feedback in this thread! 

Alderaan Warzone Map:

General PvP matches:

• Were matchups fair?
  • If you participated in a match, please describe the makeup of your group and the group you were paired against.  

Please only leave feedback if you participated in a PvP match. 

EDIT: Added additional medals feedback question. 

I only played one match because it took over an hour to get a pop and I had other things to do. 

Got 10 medals mostly by capping and defending a node, killed a few people, died once myself. Almost started to miss playing pvp again.

My team won, but not by much, so I would call matchmaking decently balanced, with everyone being on same elo (I assume). 

I don't like the idea that if my win rate gets better, I'lll be put in the same team with sandbags. I'd rather have sandbags randomly distributed to both teams, as in: forget the matchmaking, make the groups totally random. People who play better shouldn't be punished by the matchmaking system. 

I don't know if one match is enough to tell anything about the general atmosphere, but I didn't encounter any toxicity in that match. People were playing nicely, most of us probably just did it for the Vulptilla and it wasn't so serious, like it is on live.  We had no problems with people being afk (not that I'm aware of), and it was a very nice experience. If you can transfer that "nice, not so serious experience" to live, I'll start playing pvp again. 

Out of the four matches I played on Friday I had one that was an outlier. My team and the enemy fought over a neutral center turret. My team eventually won but because ! spent so much time in the middle delaying a capture my medal total ended at 4. I did notice that if a teammate captured a node and I was in the vicinity I also got capture points. I see that as a happy change gaining points.

In the alderaan warzone it was very easy to earn the defender medals. I have played as darkness assassin guarding a turret and just by doing protection and some damage in proximity of the turret i earned over 10 medals. These new changes should make it easier to get the 8 medals for the conquest objectives.

Only downside was the matchmaking. 6 to 8 players. Unfortunately PTS is not really populated and it's hard to get a well balanced match. Luckily the 6 of my team were good players and we did finish 60-0 (our win wheeeee).

Can't wait to see the changes implemented in the live server and get pvp season rewards hopefully at a faster rate ☺️

l was on a 5 vs. 6 team (assassin, level 80, item rating 336) after waiting forever just for enough players to make that team. Other than the size discrepancy, the players seemed fairly matched but it's really hard to tell based off the one instance I played. I DID notice that when there were several players engaged in active combat in a small space, the graphics seemed to struggle to catch up (I am directly wired on an ethernet cable with an insanely fast connection, so I'm fairly certain it wasn't a speed issue). Medals seemed easier to achieve. I was on the losing side but still managed to get 7 medals and was in almost constant combat with the limited teams we were playing.

*ETA that defender medals were easier to achieve than attacker medals despite being engaged in combat constantly and the point difference in the final tally being pretty close.

Edited by Crooklynone

On 2/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, JackieKo said:

Hi all, 

Appreciate everyone testing out the Warzone matches today. We're getting a lot of good feedback and data. One thing that the team would like to know is how many Medals you earned per match per win/loss. I'll be updating the OP with this question. 

Thanks!

hey, i did a 6v5 earlier & was able to achieve 8 medals. i captured 2 turrets, lost 2 turret and defended 2. i scrapped over the middle turret for a short bit - overall i think 8 was reasonable accomplishment for the effort. as mentioned by another user, obtaining kills while capturing is a neat idea, i wouldn't lump it with attacking/defending unless the turret was obtained. BUT, i would give some medal for kills or damage or healing in a "general" category for overall effort. is there only attack & defending medals?

used a level 80 combat sentinel w/ 336 item rating focused on critical. 

as for "pre-made" vs mixed solo, it really does drive people from PVP - not to discourage friends from playing together, but there needs to be a way to keep the gaming sweatshop armies from bulldozing through casual players. i routinely play with my wife, grouped, with cute/matching names but we are casual & not a threat to solo players. how do we get to play together without facing the top 8 ranked pvp teams?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NinjaneerOne said:

, but there needs to be a way to keep the gaming sweatshop armies from bulldozing through casual players.

how do we get to play together without facing the top 8 ranked pvp teams?

As i mentioned in a subsequent post within this other related thread ,  how about if the 'matchmaking'  algorithm also considered  separating SOLO players ( like within a sub-queue ) based more so on  Valor stat + Gear rating + Previous win/loss record + Total medals +  _____ hidden variable ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two pages of comments on this subject. I logged in to the Test center and ran my 1 match to get my credit for my mount.  PVP is horrible in this game. It's not fun. The Warzone capture the flag and destroy the gunships are ok not even decent. Huttball and Not sure what it's called but Super Huttball are not even the minimum of fun to me. I have tried to join a  pvp match and it turns out to be Huttball I just leave.

I think you need a real Warzone. Fighting NPC-controlled tanks and walkers invading an area with Players defending and fighting one another for the battlefield.

30 minutes ago, akdonkey said:

you need a real Warzone. Fighting NPC-controlled tanks and walkers invading an area with Players defending and fighting one another for the battlefield.

Totally agree but unfortunately BioWare has 2 problems:

1.  EA won't let them add dynamic mega-battle epic STAR WARS type scenarios ( for PVP ) because it would take away from their coveted 'Battlefront' serie$
  2.  SWTOR's  out-dated game engine cannot handle such MASS pvp  ( unless/until maybe the move to 64-bit helps ? )

Alderaan Warzone Map:

Is it easier to obtain Attacker and Defender points?

In the past I stayed to defend,  I haven't done WZ since 7.2 went live, besides intro to WZ/Arena.  so when I did WZ in the past was 4-6 metals.  last night was 6-8  in PTS testing

Do you feel like you can earn 8 medals even if you do not win matches?

I feel like I could,  only have done 2 matches so far and 8 was the most I have earned in PTS

How many medals did you earn per match per win/loss?

6 and 8 both wins

General PvP matches:

Were matchups fair?

N/A,  it was fair as it can with who was available

If you participated in a match, please describe the makeup of your group and the group you were paired against.

it felt like  what others been calling a casual group, not  really competitive  PvP material, there were a couple that knew what they were doing

Feel free to leave general feedback of your experience with matchmaking.

you sure,  you're not going to charge me , to help the economy . I never really had a issue with matching, I just can't use the targeting system in this game, makes me slow. Tab/Click targeting sucks for me. So if anything, I'm a bad match to begin with. In other words, I shouldn't be matched with those that are more experience then me.

I knew what I was stepping into, so yeah, I couldn't have an issue of bad matching.

there are some times I get in a match of equally bad players, and it felt good 🥔

Alderaan Warzone Map:

In the single match I've been able to get into in the last several days of trying, I didn't attack but I defended Snow side. It was 2 other players and myself. The two of us that didn't chase opponents when they ran away each gained at least 15k Defender points.

I earned 9 and my other defender gained 10 before the match concluded. So to answer the question, yes.

Only played one match and lost with 9 medals.

General PvP matches:

Were matchups fair?

It seemed fair and the point totals at the end were very close. I probably could've been more aggressive and turned the match around but I chose to stay and defend Snow.

If you participated in a match, please describe the makeup of your group and the group you were paired against.

A few of my team seemed very competitive and even threatened to report me and another defender for not doing anything but otherwise the rest of the team seemed just set on playing the game. Some were even there as their first pvp match.

General experiences with matchmaking were extremely long wait times and inconvenient population declines during US CT work hours.

All-in-all not a bad experience and it actually made me kinda like pvp again. Getting stomped repeatedly on live servers isn't very fun when I'm trying to do pvp to earn cosmetic items locked behind toxicity and elitism.

I logged onto PTS today and queued for a Warzone match.  I got the Alderaan map and defended the west turret along with one or two other players.   I ended up with 5 kills (attackers), and 10 medals.   I could not see what was happening in the center or eastside of the map.  The other team ended up winning, but the match was not horrendously slanted.  I feel like medals were easier to get, without being handed out like Halloween candy.  I did not review the stats for all players in the match but the distribution of medals and kills suggested that all players had participated to some degree.  

The teams seemed balanced, and the turret damage was somewhat slow due to turret turnover.

We had one member of our team who stated that they had not PVP'd before, but that the other team was not able to run us off of our captured objective, the loss came from not being able to take and hold the center turret for long enough.  Overall, the match went well and it was fun.  I do not know if this was due to the time of day and the players available to participate in the match, or whether there was better team matching.   

On 2/9/2023 at 4:16 PM, JackieKo said:

Alderaan Warzone Map:

General PvP matches:

• Were matchups fair?

Yes, this definitely feels like a good gain, and active participation can get me 8+ medals even as TK Sage, something that is extremely difficult now on live

I got 8 even when (narrowly) losing a match, but I had to actively participate (which is a good thing)

Hard to say how it would look if I got focused more by enemy team and was constantly getting killed

9 on loss

Were matchups fair?

As far as they usually tend to be on live, yes

Among those actively participating in combat. generally similar to live.

Some people are good, some bad, some were there obviously just to grab the participation trophy

Same as on live, but needed me to be playing in good times (expectations of devs participating helped a lot, I think, even in European timezones)

Alderaan Warzone Map:

No - I didn't feel like there was any difference.

Not sure with the testing I did.  One losing match I was able to get just 4 medals.  In the second losing match I got 8 medals.  I think this was entirely dependent on the class I played.  In the 4 medal match I played my main Sorc spec (lightning) BUT was target one as I think all players associate Sorc with healer.  In the 8 medal match I played my Assassin spec and was able to get to 8 medals by the end of this match.  In both matches I did a mixture of defending and attacking.

Played three matches (long wait for the third).  All 3 I played were losses -I got 4 medals, then 8 medals and finally 5 medals.  I don't think this accurately represents reality due to the other team being a superior make-up.

General PvP matches:

The first 2 teams we had zero healers one tank & the rest ranged and melee players.  In the third match, our team had 7 players including 1 healer and mostly melee dps.  The opposing team for the first and third matches were ridiculously overpowered as well as having 3 healers.  How is it possible to use force scream to one hit kill a sorc who is at full health, in 330 gear, has a shield up and a DoT heal going?  I smell shenanigans. Or Devs...😜

I don't know if it's possible to delay matchmaking until each group has an equal number of healers. Also, how will medal accumulation work for healers in PvP (yes I'm thinking of trying healing PvP for a change).

Note: I think I hate Alderaan battle map now 😭 

Question: How do we know the game recorded us as qualifying for the mount? There was no specific achievement come up that could be screenshotted as proof.

I did 4 matches today.  2 wins and 2 losses.  

I decided to focus on getting medals instead of trying to win.  This seemed unnatural as I usually prefer to play to win and to trust that if I do that the medals will take care of themselves.

So, to maximize geting medals, I start matches by following the path of least resistance and going whichever node I think my team had the best chance of capping.  That gets me 2 medals early on and helps me to reach my goal.

Then I decide whether to just stick it out there and collect medals, or to shift to another node to help my team try to win.  In one match where I just stayed at the first node, that resulted in my getting less dps and fewer kills of any match that I played.  Fortunately my team had captured 2 nodes, and my team won anyway.  I got 13 medals that match with most of them comming from defender points.

In matches where the other team decided to try to win and capture the node that I was defending, I went ahead and fought there until I died, and then went back to deciding where to go next based on my path of least resistance strategy to get medals.  I only fought to defend or attack if the other team was dominating my team and I had no real chance of getting my 8 medals if I didn't try to get some attacker points.

I did end up getting between 9 and 13 medals in each of the 4 matches with this approach, though it seems that going down this path long term is not something that would make me want to pvp more.  I like winning to much, and don't like having to focus on medal count over winning matches.

The way I see it, in pvp there is always 1 winning team, and 1 losing team, and as a member of a team no matter how well I play, or how motivated I am to win, I am only 1 person out of 15 in the match, and winning may not always be in the cards.  

So, because I set weekly goals for conquest, and given the time it takes to complete a match, I need to get 8 medals to get a reasonable number of points from it to make it worth my time.  That means that I need to concentrate more on getting medals than I would like to if I am going to do pvp and still meet my goals.  I don't like it that way, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

I was able to play in two more matches during the Thursday afternoon event--many thanks to Jackie for arranging it! I played the first match on my Lightning Sorcerer, and it went pretty much the same as the Saturday match I wrote up earlier: I spent most of the time defending grass and had some fun fights at the node. We won, and I ended up with 10 medals again. Based on a sample size of 2 🙂, it's looking like I'll get 8 medals pretty regularly on a win with my usual playstyle. I'm not sure how I'll do when I'm on the losing team, though.

For the second match, I tried my Focus Guardian. I've only played a few matches with the character on live, and I'm definitely not very good. I spent a little time defending our node but mostly tried to help my teammates turn over the nodes the enemy was holding. We lost, and I got 6 medals. Since my gameplay wasn't exactly stellar, I can't really argue that I should have had 8.

As far as matchmaking, both games were pretty close, and I had fun in both of them. But as several posters have mentioned, the general attitude on the PTS was pretty relaxed, so it's hard to know what the same matches would have looked like on live.

On 2/15/2023 at 3:01 PM, Nee-Elder said:

As i mentioned in a subsequent post within this other related thread ,  how about if the 'matchmaking'  algorithm also considered  separating SOLO players ( like within a sub-queue ) based more so on  Valor stat + Gear rating + Previous win/loss record + Total medals +  _____ hidden variable ?

With a seperate queue or sub queue for solo players, the matchmaking would also work better & be able to take those values into consideration. 

On 2/13/2023 at 2:15 AM, HobbesToo said:

Out of the four matches I played on Friday I had one that was an outlier. My team and the enemy fought over a neutral center turret. My team eventually won but because ! spent so much time in the middle delaying a capture my medal total ended at 4. I did notice that if a teammate captured a node and I was in the vicinity I also got capture points. I see that as a happy change gaining points.

Attacker medals really should be applied to both teams of players if they are trying to cap a neutral node.
But maybe at a slower rate of acquisition or limited amount of Attacker points so that people don’t just fight in middle without trying different tactics to win. 

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

With a seperate queue or sub queue for solo players, the matchmaking would also work better & be able to take those values into consideration. 

Yeah probably.

Another thing i thought of tonite during a series of WZ's  whereby i was alternating between  solo-queue & group-queue (with a few players who actually invited me into their premade after they had been farming/ganking me for like an hour lol )   was this:  Why not have 'tiers'  of medal catagories?   Like instead of  only one medal for  1.5 mil dmg healed total , there could also be another tier of that type of medal at like 3mil and then 6mil .  Same with  scoring huttball or passing huttball.  Instead of only getting credit for scoring ONCE , maybe also have another medal if you score the huttbal 3 times within same match?

Although i guess BioWare probably didn't add  additional medal 'tiers'  initially because of potential *exploit* factor maybe i dunno.

Edited by Nee-Elder