Can we get a 2 player per team limit for gunships?

RaithHarth

The problem with limiting the number of Gunships is this. What happens when new or lesser skilled pilot (or 2) take up the Gunship role, and a far more skilled Gunship pilot is forced to then change ships. It leaves your team at a disadvantage, because that player no longer has the choice of hopping in that ship and try to carry if needed.

The problem is who gets to be the 2 in the Gunships. It would almost force those that want to fly gunships to have only that on the bar.

One on one, many ships will defeat gunships.  Just come in from the side or behind and use cover.  If they aren't wary they won't even notice they are being hit until they have lost most of their health.  Good gunship pilots will see you coming and evade.  The hardest problem with gunships is when multiple gunships form a gunship wall.

If you think that gunships are op, fly one yourself.  The easiest way for non-gunships to beat a gunship wall is to make coordinated attacks, so that the gunships can't gang up on one target at a time.  But that is rare when most players are solo queuers, so the best thing is to probably switch to gunship yourself.  Stay close to teammates and let them come to you.   Try to be at the same range of any approaching opponent as other friendly gunships, so that if one opponent gets too close, he gets hit multiple times.

Of course, skill and experience are always the most important factors.  If they are more skilled than you, it will be tough in any ship.

Here is a video made by a top player faced with a gunship wall.  I was a solo queue and happened to be on his team in this match.  We both stated with strikes, but after they formed a gunship wall, we both switched (independently) to gunship.  Pink Freud ran up a big score and we pulled it out.  Notice the low score.  Most of the pilots on both sides were careful and did not feed.  Some people do not like such "gunship chess" matches, but I like them, they make you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIaqRL9X47s

• Like 1

Easy to kill when I use Ion cannons and Heavy laser cannons.  But every match I've been winning in where enemy team starts to go all in on gunships, our lead decreases rapidly and/or we lose.  Every match.

It's enough to say too many gunships can make a match very one sided.  I've never seen that with any other class of ship.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 10:20 PM, MasterAtin said:

It's enough to say too many gunships can make a match very one sided.  I've never seen that with any other class of ship.

Six or more bombers split between two satellites will generally do the job against your average random team in a Domination match.   You need at least a couple of people who know what they're doing working together to clean the bombers off of the sats faster than they can respawn.  Especially if the bombers have any skill.    Long ago swarms of battlescouts could also really swing matches, but it required greater pilot skill and the mechanics to support it got changed so they're not really viable for that anymore.

It really is tiring when it's endless cycle of deathmatches and one team is running 5/8 ships as gunships. Like how is that fun for anyone? 

I wish something could be done but I don't really know what the solution is. I just don't queue as much anymore, especially when I see the same multi-gunship premade over and over and over...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dayshadow said:

IMO, any ship that can snipe is bad. This was tooted as a dogfighting game.

Agreed.

i'll take it a  step further too ...  i think GSF should get a new map-zone in the rotation, whereby  missiles AREN'T  allowed ( for anyone ) .

Deal with that, pilots ! :sy_target:

2 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

Agreed.

i'll take it a  step further too ...  i think GSF should get a new map-zone in the rotation, whereby  missiles AREN'T  allowed ( for anyone ) .

Deal with that, pilots ! :sy_target:

Only issue I have with missiles is there is no way to avoid them once they're fired other than an ability. I've zig-zagged through dense asteroid fields or ship debris at full speed, but they always hit me sooner or later regardless. Seems like they go through walls sometimes too. I've even gone through the doorways in mountains, pulled up hard and the missiles still hit. There should at least be a time limit. If they do it's too long. I also don't like that afterburner is the only way to really move. Ships should have decent speed even without that. I feel like I'm standing still without afterburners. Afterburners should be for maneuvering and missile avoidance. Not the fundamental means of travel. Especially if you're going to put large distances between spawn points and combat zone. But maybe I'm nitpicking.

Maybe give strikers (and bombers?) a manually targeted torpedo. A secondary "missile slot" that can be switched to like you can switch guns on some ships. Something that can be fired without a lock and just moves forward in the straight line and is a 1-hit kill no matter what the target is. No alert because there is no locking. If your arse is just standing still you just go boom if you don't see it coming.

Edited by Dayshadow

On 2/9/2023 at 6:33 PM, Dayshadow said:

IMO, any ship that can snipe is bad. This was tooted as a dogfighting game.

I agree.  

I like the concept of the gunship, and how devs managed to translate "hard scoping" and "quick scoping" from FPS games into SWTOR.  But GSF is no doubt designed and geared towards dogfighting.  Gunship sounds intentionally implemented because they knew players would struggle with dogfighting.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:34 PM, Ramalina said:

Six or more bombers split between two satellites will generally do the job against your average random team in a Domination match.   You need at least a couple of people who know what they're doing working together to clean the bombers off of the sats faster than they can respawn.  Especially if the bombers have any skill.    Long ago swarms of battlescouts could also really swing matches, but it required greater pilot skill and the mechanics to support it got changed so they're not really viable for that anymore.

Yes.  Even with EMP Field to disable drones and destroy mines, bombers can still deploy measures.  On top of that, skilled bomber pilots use mines and drones as makeshift shields against attackers.  You're hitting something, just not the bomber.