Jump to content

possible 'sandbox' Land-Owner type system (and potential 'credit sink' ) ...


Nee-Elder

Recommended Posts

*Full disclosure:  i was recently inspired  by this other suggestion thread from another person  to re-visit a concept first developed & expanded in SWG  that i always thought could maybe be at least worth considering here in SWTOR (despite it being a more confined & restricted  'theme-park' type game) .

-------------------

 Grand concept for players/guilds to be Land-Owners/Builders:

  1.  That same SH blue-hologram statue on Fleet/DK/Coruscant could introduce a brand new questline called 'Planetary Claims'  (or whatever title you can come up with) , whereby ANY player can acquire phased/instanced piece of LAND by going on some sort of  'scouting' mission ( to unlock the location thru survey 'research' ) per whichever planet so desired to own land upon
  2.  Within that now "owned" plot of land (which again would be phased/instanced, therefore seemlessly separate from existing public space/lag ) , the player-owner  could choose to either:  Enhance, Expand, or Enlist
  3.  Enhance would = being able to add/modify the environment (like adding a river or waterfall or whatever) , as well as placing things like crafted Harvesters (machines) in order to gather certain types of resources faster (with designated limitations of course)
  4.  Expand would = being able to design & BUILD your own cities, warzones, racetracks, or operations (for player created missions)
  5.  Enlist would = being able to somehow HIRE other players/friends to decorate 'party' structures for EVENTS ( PVP or RP or whatever ) , complete with dynamic effects (like fireworks & such)  which , once finalized, could then be 'packaged'  into sellable  'plots' on the GTN
  6.  Similar to how SH's & Flagships already work, the player-owner (or owners, depending upon if it's a city) would be able to either assign 'keys' or maybe even SELL  different types of 'access' keys ( like  VIP, for example ) for various price tiers.
  7.  Each  of the 6 CRAFTING skills  would be needed for certain particular sets of  'expansion' schematics and/or styles , so that it would involve PLAYER crafting again  on equal terms  as much as looted or Cartel Market purchased ( so let's say the schems & such could still drop as loot AND be purchased for CC's, but the crafted versions would be cheaper/better somehow in the long run)
  8.  Basic housing & buildings & stuff  would definitely be available to everyone, but obviously there could be better/cooler/higher, etc. types of  options for $ubscribers & GUILDS (so there might be tiers-of-unlockables, depending on whether you're  F2P, Preferred, or $ubscribed ----And tiers-of-additions depending on whether building solo or grouped or guilded.  ---Everyone gets the opportunity for everything though, but of course just like anything else in MMO's, there would be advantages to being grouped/guilded. )
  9.  Might even be able to somehow incorporate current 'Galactic Conquest INVASIONS' , perhaps for like  guild vs. guild wars ? ( cities could have 'Forts' & player-run turret defenses, etc. )
  10.  In other words, just like SWG did toward it's twilight , SWTOR would start to allow more PLAYER generated content.  As in, the building (and maintaining) of cities & lands & events, etc. -- All  phased/instanced, invite only, opt-in only, but fully customizable....for a PRICE (either time/effort , or credits/CC's ) .

This is all just me offering up ideas off top-of-my-head, so it's by no means perfect, but if implemented it could also maybe be a good credit sink to help with current inflation too.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They can also expand this to include giving us dev powers and allow us to terraform areas. Basically a moderator's editor so we can make our own landscapes. They can sell us lots so we can expand over time. As an homage to SWG, make something akin to the chroniclers tent that let's us make custom missions which can be sold and rated. The tent vendor can sell us persistent and non persistent effects like npcs that roam or smoke clouds, fire plumes, electricity etc. Eventually, start a galactic home show and reward monthly winners picked by the community.

Edited by TonyTricicolo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Key feature that must be present, lest anyone overlook it (but @Nee-Elderdidn't overlook it, thank you):

24 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

Within that now "owned" plot of land (which again would be phased/instanced, therefore seemlessly separate from existing public space/lag )

Without that, acquiring these plots is a form of PvP, and I've seen some of what that produces in ArcheAge.  It's not good, although there are lots of worse things in ArcheAge.  That said, I did get hugely lucky when I was looking for a place to plant a house.  I found a prime spot, about fifty feet from a QT point just outside one of the major cities, that wasn't in use.

But it's still PvP.  When I noted that my neighbour's plot was about to time out because of unpaid rent, I kept close watch and on the key night, I stayed up until after 3am to claim it for myself.  I even persuaded another player that he should let me have the plot, and wrote off one of my other plots for him in exchange for not fighting with me for my neighbour's plot.  I was that keen to grab *that* plot because of a certain level of bad blood and general spite between me and the neighbour.

So, open-access non-instanced land is good and bad, but mostly bad.

On the other hand, I'm not totally sure that the elaborateness and sandboxyness of the proposed feature is a good match for a themepark game.  I might be wrong.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 10:42 AM, Nee-Elder said:

*Full disclosure:  i was recently inspired  by this other suggestion thread from another person  to re-visit a concept first developed & expanded in SWG  that i always thought could maybe be at least worth considering here in SWTOR (despite it being a more confined & restricted  'theme-park' type game) .

-------------------

 Grand concept for players/guilds to be Land-Owners/Builders:

  1.  That same SH blue-hologram statue on Fleet/DK/Coruscant could introduce a brand new questline called 'Planetary Claims'  (or whatever title you can come up with) , whereby ANY player can acquire phased/instanced piece of LAND by going on some sort of  'scouting' mission ( to unlock the location thru survey 'research' ) per whichever planet so desired to own land upon
  2.  Within that now "owned" plot of land (which again would be phased/instanced, therefore seemlessly separate from existing public space/lag ) , the player-owner  could choose to either:  Enhance, Expand, or Enlist
  3.  Enhance would = being able to add/modify the environment (like adding a river or waterfall or whatever) , as well as placing things like crafted Harvesters (machines) in order to gather certain types of resources faster (with designated limitations of course)
  4.  Expand would = being able to design & BUILD your own cities, warzones, racetracks, or operations (for player created missions)
  5.  Enlist would = being able to somehow HIRE other players/friends to decorate 'party' structures for EVENTS ( PVP or RP or whatever ) , complete with dynamic effects (like fireworks & such)  which , once finalized, could then be 'packaged'  into sellable  'plots' on the GTN
  6.  Similar to how SH's & Flagships already work, the player-owner (or owners, depending upon if it's a city) would be able to either assign 'keys' or maybe even SELL  different types of 'access' keys ( like  VIP, for example ) for various price tiers.
  7.  Each  of the 6 CRAFTING skills  would be needed for certain particular sets of  'expansion' schematics and/or styles , so that it would involve PLAYER crafting again  on equal terms  as much as looted or Cartel Market purchased ( so let's say the schems & such could still drop as loot AND be purchased for CC's, but the crafted versions would be cheaper/better somehow in the long run)
  8.  Basic housing & buildings & stuff  would definitely be available to everyone, but obviously there could be better/cooler/higher, etc. types of  options for $ubscribers & GUILDS (so there might be tiers-of-unlockables, depending on whether you're  F2P, Preferred, or $ubscribed ----And tiers-of-additions depending on whether building solo or grouped or guilded.  ---Everyone gets the opportunity for everything though, but of course just like anything else in MMO's, there would be advantages to being grouped/guilded. )
  9.  Might even be able to somehow incorporate current 'Galactic Conquest INVASIONS' , perhaps for like  guild vs. guild wars ? ( cities could have 'Forts' & player-run turret defenses, etc. )
  10.  In other words, just like SWG did toward it's twilight , SWTOR would start to allow more PLAYER generated content.  As in, the building (and maintaining) of cities & lands & events, etc. -- All  phased/instanced, invite only, opt-in only, but fully customizable....for a PRICE (either time/effort , or credits/CC's ) .

This is all just me offering up ideas off top-of-my-head, so it's by no means perfect, but if implemented it could also maybe be a good credit sink to help with current inflation too.

Hmmm  Interesting.  I'm not quite sure how this would work with PvE stuff or solo inspired (controlled) application.  I would like to hear more on this!

Curious! ...  Curious indeed!

Question:  Could something like repeatable companion interaction OR perhaps enjoying a relaxing moment on a small lake or stream work within these parameters?  Just asking!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

Hmmm  Interesting.

Question:  Could something like repeatable companion interaction OR perhaps enjoying a relaxing moment on a small lake or stream work within these parameters? 

Sure , why not?  The possibilities are endless tbh.  Hence why 'sandbox'  elements, even if incorporated on a limited instanced basis, can be so fruitful.

Heck, could even utilized the existing 'Seeker Droid'  CODE systems to create some type of  STAR WARS version of  'futuristic fishing w/ companion'  mini-game, for achievements & resources & such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nee-Elder said:

Sure , why not?  The possibilities are endless tbh.  Hence why 'sandbox'  elements, even if incorporated on a limited instanced basis, can be so fruitful.

Heck, could even utilized the existing 'Seeker Droid'  CODE systems to create some type of  STAR WARS version of  'futuristic fishing w/ companion'  mini-game, for achievements & resources & such.

I see a few possibilities there for this one basic idea:
** Additional resources for in game use
** Additional interactions with companions
** Building an area: I'm guessing that this is like an expanded version of a SH.  (Probably an overly simplified layman's perspective for what you are proposing.)
** (using voice of HK-55) ... correction:  instead of a seeker droid a SW type of bass boat would be preferred.  😜

Interesting idea!  [/scratches head] ...  I'm thinking about it!  AND if for some really odd reason it could be tied into a GS series (for completion points ... ) Hmmm!!!  Interesting!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

Question:  Could something like repeatable companion interaction OR perhaps enjoying a relaxing moment on a small lake or stream work within these parameters?  Just asking!

A small lake where you could launch a 20-foot bass boat?  Like this one?  https://i.imgur.com/tBeT1Vr.jpg  (Yes, that's from Guild Wars 2, and yes, you can fish from it...)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like what FFXiV did for their housing.

Each capital city has a residential district broken into wards. Each ward has x number of plots with x number of each size, Estate, Mansion, House, cottage. These lots are all purchased by auction and the time of the sale starting is random to avoid people camping on the site until a known release time.

The players must then be actively logging into account for x months, otherwise they lose the plot and it goes up for auction again (all their decorations are returned to their inventory)

Players can then choose from a selection of exteriors and have space in the yard to place exterior decorations.

Clicking the door will take you to an instanced interior that can be decorated as you please. a cottage would only have a main floor and a basement, while a house would have a basement, main level and upper level, mansions would have basement, main, and two upper, Estates would only be purchasable by guilds and would include a courtyard with a few buildings and the interior would also have three floors a basement and a sub-basement. Estates also have guild member quarters that a guild member can purchase from the guild. This guild room would be an elevator that leads to an instanced room of equal size of the apartments. They are cheaper than an apartment, but if you leave the guild or the guild disbands, you lose your room and decorations are returned to your deco inventory.

The instance that houses these homes would also have a large apartment building that players can purchase a home in. These apartments would be the same size of a cottage, but without a basement. These would simply be an instanced room(s) that can be decorated.

In the ward, you can find RP areas like cantina, spaceport, parks and a few shops with vendors for decorations/food/crafting. the various plots would be set up around these common areas.

Each residential area would have several wards, so you could have an estate in Coruscant, Ward 5, plot 53.

Other players who visit the ward can see everyone's homes and whatever decorations they place in their yard and encourage players to build their own shops, taverns, crime hideouts and temples, etc,. as players could allow these places to be open to the public to come and go or limit them to guild/friends.

Each Capital world can have a residential ward, as well as some of the prominent locations like Corellia, Nar Shadaa and Tatooine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.