Colorblind Mode Feedback

JackieKo

• Dev Post
  • What Colorblind mode do you use?
  • Which Colorblind mode option displayed the best for you? 
    • Does it match the type of colorblindness you are?
    • What did you like or not like about the option you chose that matched your type?
  • Currently Colorblind mode renders across the entire game. If this is not an experience you enjoy, what would you prefer instead?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm not colour blind per say, but I suffer from Irlen Syndrome which means colours like white have severe glare so for me I have to turn down contrast and certain pale colours against white or in very dark area are hard for me to see. I would love an option to be able change colour of white and pale blue to another colour because it would make things so MUCH easier for me to especially in OPs and Flashpoints because when people say get out of stupid; I can't always see the contrast to get out of "stupid" but luckily my guildies yell at me as they understand my issues with Irlen Syndrome.

• Like 3

I wish I could test this, but pts doesn't seem to be working for me on steam.

I'm completely color blind though, so I doubt these options would make any difference for me anyway. There are certain hud elements I would love to be able to change, like enemy health bars that I can't really see at all, but I don't think these changes allow that.

41 minutes ago, JediMasterAlex said:

I'm completely color blind though, so I doubt these options would make any difference for me anyway. There are certain hud elements I would love to be able to change, like enemy health bars that I can't really see at all, but I don't think these changes allow that.

Next time I'm in, I'll take some screen shots of the 3 different settings. I dunno if that'll help you see via screen shots,  maybe it will :hope_07:

8 hours ago, JediMasterAlex said:

Sucks that you can't get into steam PTS. If you've got complete Achromatopsia, you're right that this probably won't help. But Achnaatwo's video above seems like a good example (on Tython), and I also made some comparative screenshots on Rishi and Corellia:

Colorblind Settings Corellia (Axial Park)
Colorblind Settings Rishi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crystal_Mind said:

Sucks that you can't get into steam PTS. If you've got complete Achromatopsia, you're right that this probably won't help. But Achnaatwo's video above seems like a good example (on Tython), and I also made some comparative screenshots on Rishi and Corellia:

Colorblind Settings Corellia (Axial Park)
Colorblind Settings Rishi

I do indeed have complete achromatopsia. Thanks very much for the screenshots! Can't tell any differences but as you say, that was expected lol.

6 hours ago, Achnaattwo said:

hope the link works

https://youtu.be/_BIAMDLJJ0c

Thanks for this as well :)

The changes to the enemy nameplates and health bars may actually be useful to me. I'll have to test in game at some point to be sure.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

On 11/15/2022 at 12:19 PM, JackieKo said:
  • What Colorblind mode do you use?
  • Which Colorblind mode option displayed the best for you? 
    • Does it match the type of colorblindness you are?
    • What did you like or not like about the option you chose that matched your type?
  • Currently Colorblind mode renders across the entire game. If this is not an experience you enjoy, what would you prefer instead?

I am classified as a "strong" Protan. I don't have much of a problem with the default UI, save that the red text is sometimes hard to read on darker backgrounds. I tried all 3 colorblind modes.

• Protan Mode: I very much enjoyed the near-monochrome/desaturated base UI but the red in screen text and icons was shifted too far into an electric magenta/purple color and it also made my lighter skinned human (slider value around 15) look more like a blue-skinned Chiss in the character paper doll screen. Kind of weird, doesn't really fit my color perception at all.
  • Deutan Mode: I hated this. Kind of a green-skinned sepia tone and everything about it was visually jarring.
  • Tritan Mode: This actually looked really good. The red in screen text and ability icons shifts to a more-readable-but-still-red color and the yellow/green highlights on the building edges and hallways in the new overlay map really pop. If all stays consistent, I imagine I would use this variant in the live game if I used any of them.

Thanks for this effort. We are an often overlooked segment of the population. What I would really like is the ability to pick my own colors for more things, or at least the option to select from a larger menu of canned UI color themes. I do not mind that the chosen color palette applies to the entire UI, but more granular customization is always appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Passed the screenshots, Achnattwo's video, and did some PTS streaming over discord with my guildies who don't personally engage with PTS or post here. I have one Protan guildie whose response matches Unagi's above: he found the Tritan mode most agreeable of the three options.

He did express some concern about the learning curve adapting to the new UI colors, since he's been playing and raiding as-is for several years, but until it goes to live he's not sure how much of an impact it will make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update 2022-11-22: The updated colorblind mode description/tooltips in the Graphics control panel is appreciated. Still a Protan, and Tritan mode still looks the best. Thanks again.

Edited by Unagi

Can someone go test Scyva in colorblind mode? Would be nice to know if it's going to be playable in 7.2 - so far it's been the biggest reason why I never join a Gods run if I can avoid it. And I'm not even colorblind...

The effects on engineering plasma probe would be another interest of mine.  Would be really nice to have an engi sniper in the group without getting a migraine in return.

Edited by DeannaVoyager
typo

• 2 weeks later...